Posted Feb 21, 2011
7:47:28 PM
If you block someone's text are they notified?

When using Smart Limits to block a number, if that number tries to text you, do they get an error message or a message that says they are blocked, or does the text just appear to go through like normal?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Feb 22, 2011 12:16:09 PM
(0)
Employee

If the person who is trying to text you is an AT&T customer, they would receive a text message that says: The wireless subscriber you are trying to reach is not accepting incoming msgs at this time.

If they are not an AT&T customer, they would not get a message back and they would not know whether or not their message was successful.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you need anything else.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Accepted Solution

If you block someone's text are they notified?

10 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(10)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Feb 22, 2011 12:16:09 PM
(0)
Employee

If the person who is trying to text you is an AT&T customer, they would receive a text message that says: The wireless subscriber you are trying to reach is not accepting incoming msgs at this time.

If they are not an AT&T customer, they would not get a message back and they would not know whether or not their message was successful.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you need anything else.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: If you block someone's text are they notified?

2 of 11 (173,581 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 15, 2011 2:31:44 PM
(0)
Contributor

i want to block a number on my childs phone and dont want them to know it,

is there a way

3 of 11 (172,706 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 17, 2011 9:01:19 AM
(0)
Mentor
The parental control feature, called Smart Limits, allows you to block up to 15 numbers from calling and texting. The feature is $4.99 a month.

4 of 11 (172,636 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 7, 2011 2:38:08 PM
(0)
Employee

Hi, bcaziam. Thanks for your post! There isn't a current option available to prevent the phone attached to the wireless number you're trying to block from receiving this standard text message:"The wireless subscriber you are trying to reach is not accepting incoming msgs at this time."

5 of 11 (172,057 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2012 12:27:08 PM
(0)
Tutor

Thank you Texas_Mom.  Good to know.

Do you know about what shows up on the caller's phone?  Say I block a number on my son's phone from him texting that number or that number texting him.  When he tries to text that number does he get a message that says he has been blocked from texting that number or does it just show it has gone through?

6 of 11 (165,622 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 17, 2012 11:15:59 AM
(0)
Tutor
Yes it sends your son a text saying that its been blocked if yiu use AT&T smartlimits

7 of 11 (140,889 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 13, 2013 6:24:02 PM
(0)
Contributor

I know that blocking a number for texts on an iphone won't work if the other person is an iphone user because they can simply send an imessage, but will it work for calls?  I thought the block feature/smartlimit would work for calls even on an iphone.  The previous comments are making me wonder.  Please advise.  Thanks! 

8 of 11 (119,910 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 12, 2013 6:29:51 PM
(0)
Contributor
You have to turn your iMessage off when blocking with an iPhone

9 of 11 (101,511 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 10, 2013 9:44:49 PM
(0)
Contributor

How do I know my text messages are being blocked? If the person blocking me is a sprint customer?

10 of 11 (94,494 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 11, 2013 11:21:54 AM
(0)
Contributor
For those iPhone users not aware iOS 7 will fix this! It has a full blocking feature that's blocks calls, texts, iMessage , Face Time etc

11 of 11 (82,571 Views)