Posted Sep 25, 2012
Family map not able to locate iPhone 5!!!

Please help!  The family map service is giving a message of "not able to locate" one of the numbers on my plan.. . It is an iphone 5 and we were able to locate this number before the phone/software upgrade.  The phone is on and in clear range.  It seems like a glitch with the new iPhone software.  Is there a fix out there? 

Thanks in advance!

Family map not able to locate iPhone 5!!!

91 replies
(1) Me too
(1) Me too
Replies
(91)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 25, 2012
(0)

Mine does not locate either. The app does not work, and on the web based locator, it locates randomly.

I know this is a app problem, because icloud locate my phone app locates perfectly.

Re: Family map not able to locate iPhone 5!!!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 29, 2012
(0)

I'm searching for a similar answer ... our son (with an iPhone 4S) was fairly accurate in locating, within a 200 yard radius most times, within a few yards occasionally.  On Friday 9/21, he updated to iOS6 ... and now the most accurate range is 7.2 miles??!!  The entire town fits in that radius?!  When the app was in iTunes App Store, it was an easy place to post feedback, and problems seemed to get rectifide (or at least questions answered) fairly quickly ... I'm not sure where to turn to try and solve this.

Other posts in this forum suggest it has something to do with Apple and their Locate my iPhone (and not letting AT&T have access to the same GPS functions?).

Hoping it gets resolved soon.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 30, 2012
(0)

Previous phone was iPhone 4 --- locate worked ok for months.

After upgrading to iPhone 5, the system consistently reports "AT&T FamilyMap could not accurately locate this contact. It is possible that their device is not turned on or they are out of AT&T coverage. Please try again later...."

New phone is on and charged.

Tried removing the family member, then re-adding.

Still no cigar.

Family Map cannot locate iPhone 5 after upgrade

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 1, 2012
(0)

ptcatl wrote:

Previous phone was iPhone 4 --- locate worked ok for months.

After upgrading to iPhone 5, the system consistently reports "AT&T FamilyMap could not accurately locate this contact. It is possible that their device is not turned on or they are out of AT&T coverage. Please try again later...."

New phone is on and charged.

Tried removing the family member, then re-adding.

Still no cigar.

look like they are aware of it but no word on a fix

https://familymap.wireless.att.com/finder-att-family/supportedPhones.htm

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Family Map cannot locate iPhone 5 after upgrade

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 1, 2012
(0)

Hey folks, 

I'm sorry that you had some difficulty with AT&T FamilyMap when using your new phone. Are you still seeing an issue with not being able to locate family members on the map?

If so, will you please send me a private message with your name, account number, phone number and the best time to contact you?

Please also see the message regarding iPhone 5 and AT&T FamilyMap here: https://familymap.wireless.att.com/finder-att-family/supportedPhones.htm

Prepaid and Go Phone services are not supported. You may experience issues with the FamilyMap service being able locate iPhone 5. This does not affect your ability to use the FamilyMap app on iPhone5 to locate other phones on your FamilyMap account (other than iPhone5). AT&T is working quickly to completely support iPhone 5.

To send a private message, you can either click on the link in this message or click on the little blue envelope in the upper right hand corner, click "compose new message" and type my username in the "Send To" field.

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 3, 2012
(0)

i wonder why the ATT rep Jamileh asks for a private message instead of just posting an answer?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 4, 2012
(0)

jcmurphy wrote:

i wonder why the ATT rep Jamileh asks for a private message instead of just posting an answer?

for the simple reason a lot of the information that is requested is private and links to your account details - woudl you want to post those in a open forum? The answer is not atomagic derived from blue smoke and mirrors, sensitive account information is required to research the true issue and come up with the response

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 4, 2012
(0)
Jamileh - Same issue. PM sent to you (last Friday).

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 5, 2012
(0)
No response yet...

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 6, 2012
(0)

Hello - I got your PM and have responded. 

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 6, 2012
(0)

jcmurphy wrote:

Wingrider is correct. I ask for a private message because we need to contact you directly to help troubleshoot this issue. 

We do not want to have your private information posted in a public forum as that is quite a large privacy concern. 

--------------

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 15, 2012
(0)

I too am interested in a fix for this

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 17, 2012
(0)

Please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare with your name, account number, email address, phone number and the best time to contact you so we can review this issue with you.  

To send a private message, you can either click on the link in this message or click on the little blue envelope in the upper right hand corner, click "compose new message" and type ATTCustomerCare in the "Send To" field.

--------------

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 17, 2012
(0)

I just sent you a PM with the info. thanks.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 17, 2012
(0)

Okay, I will forward it to ATTCustomerCare for you. 

Thanks!

--------------

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 17, 2012
(0)

Hello,

Thank you for your information and sorry to hear about this. We sent you a PM asking for some additional information.

Regards,

Robert G

--------------

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 14, 2013
(0)
There is a notice just before I sign into family map that says Attn: iPhone 5 users. I clicked on that and it states:
You may experience issues with the family map being able to locate Iphone 5. This does not effect your ability. To use FamilyMap app on Iphone 5 to locate other phones (other than iPhone 5) A T &T is working quickly to completely support iPhone 5.

I sure hope so as I do NOT like not being to locate my daughter!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 14, 2013
(0)

I am sorry you're having trouble locating your daughter. We are diligently working to resolve this issue. 

--------------

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 16, 2013
(0)
AT&T has been "diligently" working on this iphone5 issue for 5 months now. What issues they found so far? Someone must know by now why it works on some occasions and not on other occasions. For example does family map work if target iphone5 is in LTE coverage vs 4g coverage vs 3G coverage.? Also where the phone doing the locating is located appears to have effect. What has testing uncovered thus far? I have a hunch it has something to do with these factors from some testing I have done. No answers yet? Really???

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 11, 2013
(0)

When is this expected to be fixed?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 14, 2013
(0)

Hey all - please take a look at this post for more info (and great news!) about using FamilyMap with an iPhone5.

http://forums.att.com/t5/Account-Features/AT-amp-T-FamilyMap-and-iPhone-5/td-p/3450091

--------------

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 16, 2013
(0)
I am very disappointed that Family Map does not work with the I-Phone 5. I have had Family Map on all my children's I-Phones since the inception of Family Map in 2010. With each upgrade - up to the 4S the Family Map was there upon activation. Why would you change such a great app (If its not broke -don't fix it)! Parents in this day and age do not want their children to think they do not trust them or want to track them. I merely use it as peace of mind and for safety reasons. For example, making sure they get to school or for teen drivers making sure they get to their destination without having to call them on the phone. When I upgraded my kids to iphone 5 upon release, the family map did not work at all. Unalbe to locate them was like losing an arm! I immediately returned the phones and went back to the 4S. Most parents, like myself, have Family Map on the phones without the knowledge of them being aware of it. If we need to install this "new companion" feature, they would be aware of it and will not do it. Hence, it is worthless to us! When I signed up for family map and told my friends about it, they all signed up for Family Map. We love it. However, no one will upgrade knowing that once they upgrade they will lose this great feature. If the family map works through GPS why does it not work on Iphone 5? I CANNOT BELIEVE THAT INSTEAD OF MAKING THIS APP COMPATIBLE WITH IPHONE 5, you changed how the app works with Iphone 5. This is not a fix - this will be the end of a great App! Please have your technical department go back to the drawing board and have it work automatically withoout downloading "the companion" that would be detectable and deleted!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 25, 2013
(0)

I have complained to ATT customer support that their proposed "solution" of the campanion app is not acceptable and if they think it is then they don't know their customers for familymap very well.  This would have worked if my son was 5 years old (he wouldn't have a cell phone then anyway) but does not work for a teenager.

I find it amazing that if I text my son, ATT can somehow manage to find his phone to deliver the text, but they can't tell me the location of the cell tower that was used? 

Unfortunately, I don't know if other carriers have solved this with the iPhone5 yet.  If they have, I will take the four phones on my cell plan instantly to them. 

I think more people need to complain to ATT because, in their minds, they have the problem solved and their technical department is NOT going back to the drawing board.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 25, 2013
(0)

So is there a way to say that this is not an acceptable solution or to vote a thumbs down?  Please do a little research on your customers for familymap... particullarly parents of teenagers... before you claim that this campanion app is great news!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 2, 2013
(0)

My 2 kids have iPhone 5's and I cannot locate them any longer with Family Map.  Thumbs down!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 2, 2013
(0)

bfogelstrom wrote:

My 2 kids have iPhone 5's and I cannot locate them any longer with Family Map.  Thumbs down!

Hi, please take a look at and download the Companion app so you can locate the iPhone 5 using FamilyMap. 

http://forums.att.com/t5/Account-Features/AT-amp-T-FamilyMap-and-iPhone-5/td-p/3450091

--------------

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 2, 2013
(0)

dmwolff wrote:

So is there a way to say that this is not an acceptable solution or to vote a thumbs down?  Please do a little research on your customers for familymap... particullarly parents of teenagers... before you claim that this campanion app is great news!

I'm sorry you're not happy with the Companion App. I've taken your feedback to the team who owns the app. I appreciate your comments about it. 

--------------

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 9, 2013
(0)

Jamileh, I think you misunderstood - the problem is not that people are not happy with the Companion App - it is that people are not happy that AT&T requires the Companion App to locate an iPhone5!  Your feedback should be taken to AT&T, not the Companion App developer.   The problem is that it is very simple for someone to remove or disable the app so that they can't be located.

By the way, family locator with iPhone5 works fine on the Sprint network in case anyone needs to have this working and agrees that the Companion App is not an acceptable fix.

Jamileh: we would like to hear any technical explaination as to why Sprint can make family locator work without a Companion App, but AT&T could not.  What's different about the iPhone5 vs. all other phones?  What's different about the Sprint network?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 10, 2013
(0)

Thank you for the additional feedback, I appreciate it. 

To clarify, I work for AT&T and the team I provided the feedback for is also within AT&T. 

Unfortuantely, I cannot offer any technical expertise as to why the Companion App is necessary. 

--------------

[ Edited ]