Posted Oct 8, 2011
Does "No Commitment" also mean unlocked?

Hello, I live in Canada but I would like to buy the Sony Ericsson Xperia PLAY 4G from AT&T because it's No Commitment pricing is about 200$ cheaper then the No Commitment prices in Canada, and also the 4G edition of the Xperia PLAY hasn't even come to Canada yet. I really would like to know that if I bought the phone in the USA, could I bring it back to Canada and use a SIM card from a Canadian wireless service provider? Thank you for any assistance!

(Sorry if I am posting this in the wrong section, this is my first time on these forums)

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Solved
10-11-2011 11:02:20 AM
(0)

No Commitment just means you pay full retail, and don't have to commit to a 2-year service contract with AT&T.  It has nothing to do with being unlocked.  All phones sold by AT&T are locked.  And they will only give unlock codes to customers, and only 10 months after the phone is released.

You can go the route of buying an unlock code from eBay, for less than $10.  There may also be a way of unlocking the phone yourself, as is the case with some Android phones.  But I don't know if that is the case with the Xperia Play.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Accepted Solution

Does "No Commitment" also mean unlocked?

4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 8, 2011
(0)

I think their policy is the same as on GoPhones -- 90 days of service.   

Re: Does "No Commitment" also mean unlocked?

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Solved
Oct 8, 2011
(0)

ConThomas wrote:

Hello, I live in Canada but I would like to buy the Sony Ericsson Xperia PLAY 4G from AT&T because it's No Commitment pricing is about 200$ cheaper then the No Commitment prices in Canada, and also the 4G edition of the Xperia PLAY hasn't even come to Canada yet. I really would like to know that if I bought the phone in the USA, could I bring it back to Canada and use a SIM card from a Canadian wireless service provider? Thank you for any assistance!

(Sorry if I am posting this in the wrong section, this is my first time on these forums)

AT&T phones are locked. You can go to this post to read about unlocking AT&T phones.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Solved
Oct 11, 2011
(0)

No Commitment just means you pay full retail, and don't have to commit to a 2-year service contract with AT&T.  It has nothing to do with being unlocked.  All phones sold by AT&T are locked.  And they will only give unlock codes to customers, and only 10 months after the phone is released.

You can go the route of buying an unlock code from eBay, for less than $10.  There may also be a way of unlocking the phone yourself, as is the case with some Android phones.  But I don't know if that is the case with the Xperia Play.

[ Edited ]
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 11, 2011
(0)

Thank you for the info!