For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
bobsmith9000's profile

Teacher

• 

1 Message

Friday, February 21st, 2014 2:48 AM

Mobile Share Value Plans Questions and Discussion

Beware.. The $160 per month plan for 4 smart phones with ATT is pretty shadey. They don't tell you that you are required to pay for 4 smart phones at full retail price. Maybe that small detail is buried somewhere in the fine print when the adds on TV play, but make sure you know exactly what you are paying for before jumping onto this.... It's very, very tricky. 

Visitor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Today is the first time I've ever had a complaint about AT&T and I have had this account since AT&T was Cingular.  I spoke to a rep about upgrading one of my lines and was told about the "switch" option.  I chose the new phone, ordered it, and then was told that the new phone would be on a new contract, with a $25 a month increase.  I immediately requested that it be cancelled and was assured it would be.  I called back and the automatic line told me the order was "backordered" so I asked for customer service.  This was within 10 minutes of ordering the phone.  The new rep told me that the phone had already shipped and that I would have to return it to get my money refunded.  I asked for a supervisor and was switched to Abigail, who told me the same.  I called back again and spoke to Gildinna, who was very helpful but said she was getting a "error message" that she had never seen before.  She conferenced in the upgrade department (Heather) who again was very helpful but was not sure if it could be stopped.  She did agree to place a pickup on the order so I would not have to refuse it or ship it back.  When questioned about the increase (after none was mentioned during my original call until after the order was placed) she did try to get someone to override it and allow the line to remain on my original contract but it was refused.  Needless to say, I am very disappointed in AT&T and will be switching providers.  I have always recommended AT&T to everyone and cannot believe they are willing to let this account go because of an error of omission made by one of their representatives.  Goodbye, AT&T!

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

That is a good answer from a company man however I have been paying the same rate for the last two years. My phone just became available for upgrade. AT&tT told me the same rate increase would apply to my wifes number when it becomes available for upgrade. I currently have that same discount on three phones that are under contract. Nice theory but it is simply not accurate,

Scholar

• 

187 Messages

10 years ago

If you were under contract and signed up for the mobile share value plans by a certain date they allowed you the discount as if you were off contract.  I did it and my contract doesn't run out until January 2015 and I couldn't be happier.  I understood the terms before I did it although I had to talk to several different reps to get the proper understanding.  It's not worth it to me to upgrade with a subsidy and lose the 25x2 per month discount.

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

10 years ago

It sounds to me like you switched your phone plan to one of the new Mobile Share Value plans that were released earlier this year.  When those plans were released, many customers jumped at the chance to switch to them because they "saved money by switching".  Those of us who fully read and understood the terms of the new plans understood that there was a new discount being offered for being "out of contract" and that if you were currently under contrsct when the plans were released that you would qualify for a promotion that gave your the discount then.  As soon as you sign a new service committment, the discount is removed because you would no longer be "out of contract" (or under a contract which was signed prior to the new plans being released).  The only way to "waive" the loss of the discount it to not sign a new 2 year service contract.  You can still get a new phone (either paying full price or purchasing using NEXT) and keep the discount, so do not have to lose the discount, you just need to decide if you want to pay full price for your service and get a discount on the phone or pay fill price on the phone and get a discount on the service.  If you have the $25 discount, it is probably cheaper for you to pay full price for your phone and keep the discount on your service.  Most customers find that they save about $200 over 24 months by doing that over paying full prie for the service and getting the phone at a discount...

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

10 years ago

@Joe332 wrote:
If the amount is the correct amount why would I take the time to read through every single line of the bill? Between all of the bills I pay it would take me an entire day to read every line on every bill every month. When you work, have kids, own a home, coach sports, etc. you don't have time to obsess over every detail of something like a cell phone plan that should be very straight forward and not have any hidden surprises in the fine print.

How can you know the total is correct without looking at the details of what the total includes?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

In February of this year I called ATT to see of any savings opportunities and was told of the new 10gb data share plan. They told me it would save me some money and it did (about $30 per month) What I wasn't told was that by doing this if we used the 2yr upgrade at discounted rate we we would pay regular price of $40 instead of $15 if it was a Smartphone. We always use the 2 year upgrade to save money. At this rate with 5 phones our bill will go up $125 per month if we upgrade this way. I'm not sure where the savings are which is why I will be checking other carriers within the next year. We have been loyal customers for a very long time with ATT but I think a change may be best.

Brian

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

This seems to be a common occurance.   I have been a loyal AT&T customer for about 15 years,  (with only 4 different phones) always getting the 'free' phone with the 2 year commitment.  Always worked smoothly without any problems.   In fact, my last phone I had for almost 5 years.   Well, earlier this year I sign up for the family share plan, 10GB etc. Everything is good until the old almost 5 year old phone breaks.   I think, ok, I'm due for a free phone like always, right?   Wrong....  they say free phone with a 2 year agreement, but when i get the bill, they have changed my cell phone plan.  My overall plan will now cost me (in my best estimate) about $30 a month more (because the "Discount for Mobile Share Value Savings" credit of $25 a month won't be given.   That free phone cost me the Activation fee ($40) plus $25 a month for a minimum of 2 years ($600).... for a refurbished phone?   Really?   And after the 2 years is up, guess what, I still won't be able to take the $25 discount fee, so if I end up owning this phone for 4 years, it will be a $1200 phone.   Come on AT&T, what about customer loyalty?    Now I hope my wife's phone doesn't go out (she's had it for 5 years also).   I will be searching for a new straight forward plan in 2 years.   I really do feel like it kind of is a bait and switch tactic.  

In any case, thanks for the vent......

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

So going through the same thing I am also frustrated.  My nice plan price has gone up by getting the 'free' phone with a 2 year contract.   How is that free?   Even after the 2 year contract is up (on a refurbished phone) my plan price won't go down.  I have been an AT&T customer for about 15 years, only having 4 different phones (until this new one).   My last phone lasted me almost 5 years.    I agree the whole family share plan is great, until you have to get a new phone then instead of $15 for the line it is now $40 (plus taxes and fees) for that line.     

Teacher

• 

22 Messages

10 years ago

Whether it was fine print or not...disclosed or not...that $25 per phone discount arrived in Q1 of this year.  Now, here we are, barely in Q4, and they are taking that away?  You can defend the disclosure of this discount all you want, but it still doesn't take away the fact that ATT always pulls some stunt when the new iPhones come out.  With the iP4 I had my data throttled, because I was on a grandfathered plan.  With the iP5, I was forced out of unlimited data, and onto a capped plan.  Now, it would appear that they are just doing away with the phone subsidy, come one way or another.  You go Next, you pay.  You go 2 year contract, you pay.  You buy the phone, obviously, you pay.   How about they quit selling us oceanfront property in Nevada, and just shoot us a straight answer?

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

10 years ago

If you got a new phone with a contract now, you will loe the "out of contract" discount on a Mobile Share Value Plan. That dead horese has been beaten multiple times by now. I do see the mis-information that when you finish your contract that you don't start getting the discount again. As long as you are out of contract, you get that discount on the Mobile Share Value Plans. Trying to say that you won't get it back once your contract is over is not accurate, as you will get it back (as long as you don't sign a new contract again).
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.