Posted Jul 18, 2012
A monthly charge to create a blocked call list???? REALLY??
Us this for real. At&t has decided to CHARGE a monthly feel to create a blocked call list. Considering the amount of spam and bogus calls people get these days, it appears that AT&T would rather be on the problem side instead of the solution side. What ever happened to protecting your customer and looking out for their best interest? I guess they see dollar signs in those blocked calls. Or maybe it is airtime they can't bill for, so they will charge you to keep the call from going through. How cowardly is that?

A monthly charge to create a blocked call list???? REALLY??

10 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(10)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 19, 2012
(0)
Employee

You can go to donotcall.gov and register your number for the Do Not Call list. Why would a company not charge to block numbers? ATT does not give out wireless numbers to telemarketers, users do that by entering their numbers on questionable sites or making their numbers public. ATT Smart Limits is a great feature that allows you to block up-to 30 numbers. It's well worth it. Otherwise, you have to take responsibility for keeping your number private.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: A monthly charge to create a blocked call list???? REALLY??

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 21, 2012
(0)
Employee
Not to mention, smart limits was designed as parental controls which it works extremely well for. It is an added bonus that it does let you block numbers among everything else you can do with it.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 23, 2012
(0)
Tutor
It is a great plan, however, give us the option to JUST block numbers. I don't need parental control. Just block a number or two... and $4.99/month is TOO MUCH, IMO!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 26, 2012
(0)
Tutor

It's almost a ridiculous as the 5$ charge to keep "vendors"(thieves is a more accurate term) from automatically charging you for "services".

I've had to call tech support twice now for refunds.  Reading the descriptions on my accouint info say I "forgot" I purchased them.  That's bull, I didn't forget anything. Tighten up ATT!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 31, 2012
(0)
ACE - Expert

Philtjr wrote:

It's almost a ridiculous as the 5$ charge to keep "vendors"(thieves is a more accurate term) from automatically charging you for "services".

I've had to call tech support twice now for refunds.  Reading the descriptions on my accouint info say I "forgot" I purchased them.  That's bull, I didn't forget anything. Tighten up ATT!

you do not need to utilze smart limits to prevent automatic charges on your account - simply call into att support and request that a purchase block be placed on your number, this will prevent 95 percent of the charges that are added to the account due to "free" downloads of ringtones, walllpaper, backgrounds and "free" surveys from the likes of facebook vendors.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 31, 2012
(0)
ACE - Expert

wingrider01 wrote:

Philtjr wrote:

You do not need to utilze smart limits to prevent automatic charges on your account - simply call into att support and request that a purchase block be placed on your number, this will prevent 95 percent of the charges that are added to the account due to "free" downloads of ringtones, walllpaper, backgrounds and "free" surveys from the likes of facebook vendors.

If the line is not a smart phone it can be done online without calling in. Source

Block your child from making Mobile Purchases
     AT&T offers Parental Controls at no additional cost. Currently smartphone users must contact AT&T Customer Service at 1-800-331-0500 or dial 611 from your mobile device, to add Parental controls.

Add Parental Controls for non-smartphone users

To enable Parental controls on non-smartphone devices, you will need to access AT&T Mobile Web from the device.
Learn how to access AT&T Mobile Web

Find out how to set up and use your phone on the Device How-To Center. Click Select your device and choose a device brand and model, then look under Device instructions > Apps, tones & web > Web to view instructions for accessing AT&T Mobile Web from your device.

Enable Purchase Block on your child's phone

• Go to My Account on the Mobile Web menu.
  • Select Parental Controls.
  • Select Purchase Blocker.
  • About AT&T Smart Controls

AT&T Smart Controls is an online destination where AT&T customers can manage content/location, control spending, increase safety, and limit time for their Wireless, Internet, TV, and U-verse services. To find out more about popular tools such as AT&T Smart Limits for Wireless, AT&T Internet Parental Controls, and AT&T U-verse TV Parental Controls, refer to: AT&T Smart Controls.

Knight Rider Rules.gif

AT&T's return policy has changed effective 10/07/12.  You have 14 days to return the device & cxl without a ETF.  Policy info HERE.

Where is Justin Timberlake when you need him?. I need him to billed me a bridge to get a cross all these tears from complainers.This post is protected under the laws of the United States & other Countries. Unauthorized duplication, Distribution may result in civil liability & criminal prosecution.The OP gratefully acknowledge the cooperation of: The mods, Fellow forumites, Canada, The United States Of America, Mexico, USVI & Europe. As well as James Bond.

When the going gets rough, hide in a pillow fort and pretend you don't exist.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 11, 2012
(0)
Mentor

aren't there phones available anymore with blocking capability?

weren't we used to be able to just click on the number and choose ADD TO BLOCK LIST?

what phones still have this feature, i wonder....

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 25, 2012
(0)
Contributor

Just FYI, I am on the do not call list for my cell phone number and it does not keep them from calling.  I've been advised it is because of the robo calling system they use.  My phone has gone crazy over the last month with random calls.  They never leave a message, but they call CONSTANTLY.  It is very annoying, not to mention that it is using up minutes on my plan.  I found this forum by trying to find a solution to block them, but I'm not willing to pay for something that seems so basic.  Especially since I'm already paying for an unlimited data plan that slows to a crawl after a certain point.......

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 9, 2013
(0)
Contributor

I find this to be anything other than a way to make more money.  Verizon and a few others offer it for free and there is an actual feature on certain phones to be able to create your blocked list.  I have the Iphone 4, so the feature isn't there, but to have to pay for the service to block harassing people (not parental reasons), is RIDICULOUS!!  This one issue may be enough to make me change the service provider, and I have been with AT&T for over 8 years.  Extremely disappointed!!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 22, 2013
(0)
Tutor

AnnB, the Do Not Call list is for telemarketers it is not intended for private business or personal callers that you need blocked.  The option to not allow specific phone numbers to call your wireless number should be no cost to AT&T as it is something that the user updates in a database.  No Voice of IP companies charge for blocking incoming or outgoing calls as it is nothing that requires the time of any of their employees.  For a company as huge as AT&T to gauge their customers for something that is not even a "service", is totally ridiculous and they/you should be embarrassed!