Posted Nov 14, 2012
2:04:15 PM
View profile
U-verse 2013 Pricing Changes

This was filed today with the state of Connecticut Public Utilities Regulatory Authority

Beginning with bills received on January 27, 2013, the monthly price of some U-verse TV packages are increasing.  These price adjustments reflect increased business costs, including costs associated with higher programming fees.  

The monthly price for the following U-verse TV service plans will increase $2: U-family to $59; U200 to $74; U200 Latino to $84; U300 to $89; U300 Latino to $99;  U450 to $121; and U450 Latino to $131. (Grandfathered plans also will increase $2: U100 to $61 or $66, depending on when first ordered; and U400 to $116.).  Beginning on February 1, 2013 there will be a separate Broadcast TV Surcharge of $1.99 per month to recover a portion of the amount local broadcasters charge AT&T to carry their channels.

Those customers who currently have a U-verse TV pricing promotion will continue to receive the promotional benefit until the applicable promotion ends or expires.  Customers are being notified of these changes via bill messaging occurring in November and December.  In addition, customers will be notified of these changes online at www.att.net/uversepricechange.  Customers seeking information about U-verse services may visit www.att.net/uverseonline.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Feb 15, 2013 2:42:38 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by texasguy37 on Feb 15, 2013 at 2:49:13 PM

cutty777 wrote:

The rate increase for  base service on t.v., and also internet  is a classic bait, and switch. I was quoted a  price for service in December for a one year contract. I was also told if I back out of my end of the contract I will be charged $180.00. I agreed to terms. Fair enough. Then a month and a half later find that the rate for the base service is going up $2.00 for tv, and $3.00 for internet. $60.00 per year? In the name of transparency, a rate increase for base service should not be administered mid-contract. My Opinion. Alas, when it is time to renew my contract I will need to "imagine Possible" that pricing may increase.

Ya got me

If you are receiving new customer promotional pricing, the rate increases do not go into effect until the end of the promotional pricing period.  There is no bait and switch.  Are you saying that you have actually received a bill with the increased rates?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
79 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(79)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 6, 2013 5:57:44 PM
(0)
Scholar

We signed up December 25, 2012, online, we got U300 + Max Turbo Internet and pay $127 a month, including all taxes and fees, through the end of December 2013.  We are pleased with this rate, we cut our bill by $100 for the same services from "C".

Re: U-verse 2013 Pricing Changes

61 of 80 (2,616 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 17, 2013 2:19:52 PM
(0)
Contributor
I just wanted to comment on the rate increase that it seems to have upset so many of you! I now pay $4 more for my Uverse and like $2 more for my high speed Internet, but when I go to the grocery store I pay a whole lot more for my milk, bread, meat, cheese, etc, etc..., than I did last year too. After all the economy is getting a little better and, with the rise in the economy; higher prices are just part of it! Or didn't you learn that in economics in high school? Any way at least with higher prices for Uverse and Internet I decide weather or not I want to pay and have those convinces, food prices everyone pays for weather they can afford to or not! Now there's a good debate! Just thought I would put it in perspective.

62 of 80 (2,510 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 23, 2013 4:34:34 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by jross6434 on Mar 23, 2013 at 4:34:58 PM

This will be the end of our services with U-Verse. This increase was not distributed correctly to those receiving online billing and AT&T knows it.

On top of that, and $80 increase in our services is just not going to cut it.

[ Edited ]
63 of 80 (2,449 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 23, 2013 4:54:24 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

jross6434 wrote:

This will be the end of our services with U-Verse. This increase was not distributed correctly to those receiving online billing and AT&T knows it.

On top of that, and $80 increase in our services is just not going to cut it.

The only way you had an $80 increase is if you just came off of your promotional rates.  And I have online billing and it was available starting in December that rates would be raised in February.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

64 of 80 (2,441 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 26, 2013 6:19:15 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by RJSinMO on Mar 26, 2013 at 6:43:48 PM

I guess I was sleeping last month and just noticed the $2 this month.  Like others, I have a real problem with it, given that we don't have an option to purchase the equipment.  Furthermore, right on my bill, there is a description of my service that says:

"AT&T High Speed Internet Max Turbo 
provides the speed and security you need, including built-in wireless home networking capability, access to the AT&T's entire National Wi-Fi network, 11 email accounts, photo storage, AT&T Security Suite powered by McAfee, pop-up blocker, and parental controls."

That kind of sounds like my service level INCLUDES the needed hardware.

So, yeah, a total of $7 a month in increases, I think that's the biggest in the 5 years I've had u-verse.  It's motivates me to price shop with Charter and also look at decreasing my service levels.  Nice job AT&T.

[ Edited ]
65 of 80 (2,401 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 26, 2013 7:29:15 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

RJSinMO wrote:

I guess I was sleeping last month and just noticed the $2 this month.  Like others, I have a real problem with it, given that we don't have an option to purchase the equipment.  Furthermore, right on my bill, there is a description of my service that says:

"AT&T High Speed Internet Max Turbo 
provides the speed and security you need, including built-in wireless home networking capability, access to the AT&T's entire National Wi-Fi network, 11 email accounts, photo storage, AT&T Security Suite powered by McAfee, pop-up blocker, and parental controls."

That kind of sounds like my service level INCLUDES the needed hardware.

So, yeah, a total of $7 a month in increases, I think that's the biggest in the 5 years I've had u-verse.  It's motivates me to price shop with Charter and also look at decreasing my service levels.  Nice job AT&T.

My mom had Charter and she wouldn't recommend it to her enemies.  At the time it was the only option, but since a 2nd cable company moved into her town she switched.  Their customer service is constantly ranked among the worst and they tend to raise their rates more than once a year. They take after comcast. On days that end in Y they might raise their prices.   $7 is less than the other providers raised this year.  Means one less Starbucks.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

66 of 80 (2,396 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 26, 2013 10:09:49 PM
(0)
Mentor

I had Charter at my old house and never had a complaint.  I heard others complain.  Sometimes I wondered if it was because I was in a newer area with underground wiring.  I had some issues when they first brought out digital TV service, but my internet with them was always solid.  May not be the case here in an older neighborhood and overhead wiring.

And, I understand the $7 isn't much relative to some things, but I suppose you could also say that's $84/yr.  And, honestly, mostly the stupid $2 aggravates me the most (and obviously others in this thread), given that nothing has changed, they just tacked on the fee, and we can't buy the equipment.

67 of 80 (2,383 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2013 10:17:38 AM
(0)
Master

RJSinMO wrote:

I had Charter at my old house and never had a complaint.  I heard others complain.  Sometimes I wondered if it was because I was in a newer area with underground wiring.  I had some issues when they first brought out digital TV service, but my internet with them was always solid.  May not be the case here in an older neighborhood and overhead wiring.

And, I understand the $7 isn't much relative to some things, but I suppose you could also say that's $84/yr.  And, honestly, mostly the stupid $2 aggravates me the most (and obviously others in this thread), given that nothing has changed, they just tacked on the fee, and we can't buy the equipment.

I don't like the new $2 equipment fee either but believe Charter has been doing this quite a while. March 1, 2013, Charter price increases include modem rental $5 to $7 rental increase, extended cable increased $3/month, Charter TV in digital increased $2/month and most internet serives increased $3/month while "Lite Internet" increased $5/month. Maybe not all these increases were included if having a Charter bundled package with 2-year contract but believe they is no way to avoid the modem price increase by $2 to $7/month.

http://www.eunicetoday.com/view/full_story/17365753/article-Charter-cable--internet-fees-to-increase...

And I'm not so sure you'd want to buy your own equipment either, especially w/Charter, since March 1st they will no longer offer any support to customer owned equipment. I"ve had real good CS/TS support w/U-verse and while I don't like leasing extra STB's they have been great about replacing any type of equipment I've had problems with, while also provided upgraded equipment, at no charge. Luckily I entered into a new 1-year service agreement with U-verse Dec, 2012, and now I'm having the fees for 3 extra STB's ($21/month) waived.

I still believe Directv is the absolute worst provider when it comes to leased equipment you have to purchase. I'll never forget when I bought a Directv HD DVR at Best Buy for $200 when I upgraded from SD to HD service. It instantly entered me into a new 2-year contract and I cancelled my DTV service after 6 months of not being able to receive a reliable HD signal. I had to ship the DVR to them I had just bought 6 months ago when I cancelled service! Sorry for going OT but this is still a thorn in my side.

Yeah, maybe it was a fluke you had good service through Charter in a new area with underground lines. You may want to read the customer reviews since seems like they have the worst CS of any provider. I've also read where they don't have enough bandwidth and gamers, along with customers streaming movies, have all kinds of problems with service going down in the evenings/weekends.

68 of 80 (2,352 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 16, 2013 1:14:35 PM
(0)
Voyager

I hate the AT&T changes the way that they did the business in the past.  I am an ATT royal customer since 26 years ago.  In the past, if you had contract with ATT for certain period, they will keep their promises and not change the price.  But now they told you, they will give you some kind of promotion discount per month for the contract period, but they change (increase) price during the contract period, and if you walk away you have to pay penalty. It seems they can change the price in the contract period, but you can’t walk away.  Sad!

69 of 80 (2,161 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 17, 2013 1:29:41 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

jcwu96 wrote:

I hate the AT&T changes the way that they did the business in the past.  I am an ATT royal customer since 26 years ago.  In the past, if you had contract with ATT for certain period, they will keep their promises and not change the price.  But now they told you, they will give you some kind of promotion discount per month for the contract period, but they change (increase) price during the contract period, and if you walk away you have to pay penalty. It seems they can change the price in the contract period, but you can’t walk away.  Sad!

It depends on the promotion. Some promotions are for certain prices (e.g. $89 double play for a year). When prices increase, AT&T will increase the monthly discount to keep the same price for the contract period. Those promotions are almost always for new customers.

Other promotions are for a discount off the bill (e.g. $10 off T.V. for 6 months). Those promotions are off whatever the current price is and not a "guaranteed" price, so they don't change if the price of the service increases. Existing customer are generally on one of those promotions.

70 of 80 (2,119 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 17, 2013 8:57:55 AM
(0)
Master

MicCheck wrote:

It depends on the promotion. Some promotions are for certain prices (e.g. $89 double play for a year). When prices increase, AT&T will increase the monthly discount to keep the same price for the contract period. Those promotions are almost always for new customers.

Other promotions are for a discount off the bill (e.g. $10 off T.V. for 6 months). Those promotions are off whatever the current price is and not a "guaranteed" price, so they don't change if the price of the service increases. Existing customer are generally on one of those promotions.

Wonder if you could point me towards a post/thread MicCheck with a link where a new or existing customer did not receive the latest price increase? As already mentioned in this thread I'm a 4 1/2 existing U-verse customer who entered into a 1-year service agreement in Dec and was told my rates are locked-in/guaranteed for a year. Yet my rates for U450 increased $2 and Max12 internet by $3. When calling to complain I was told no customer in any type of promotional rate avoided these price increases. I realize you're saying existing customer wouldn't be "guaranteed" a promotional rate but this isn't what I was told when signing up for a 1-year service agreement.

Something just recently changed since you wouldn't have some real knowledgeable forum ACES in this thread saying if you're in a promotional rate, and/or service agreement, you won't be seeing the new price increases. This is the way it used to be but with the new AT&T/U-verse TOS they can charge whatever they want and pass on any new price increases.

This kind of reminds me of having an AT&T landline for 35 years and was told when signing up w/U-verse as long as I kept it bundled with TV/internet I would continue to receive a $5 discount on my phone bill even after my promo rate expired. About 2 years after my promo rate expired the $5 discount disappeared from my phone bill so I called CS and spoke with 2 different reps. They said they have no record I ever received any kind of bundled phone discount but couldn't explain the $5 increase in my phone bill. Go figure and this must have been when AT&T decided they wanted out of the landline phone business.

71 of 80 (2,085 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 18, 2013 4:45:35 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Uniblurb3 wrote:

MicCheck wrote:

Wonder if you could point me towards a post/thread MicCheck with a link where a new or existing customer did not receive the latest price increase? As already mentioned in this thread I'm a 4 1/2 existing U-verse customer who entered into a 1-year service agreement in Dec and was told my rates are locked-in/guaranteed for a year. Yet my rates for U450 increased $2 and Max12 internet by $3. When calling to complain I was told no customer in any type of promotional rate avoided these price increases. I realize you're saying existing customer wouldn't be "guaranteed" a promotional rate but this isn't what I was told when signing up for a 1-year service agreement.

Something just recently changed since you wouldn't have some real knowledgeable forum ACES in this thread saying if you're in a promotional rate, and/or service agreement, you won't be seeing the new price increases. This is the way it used to be but with the new AT&T/U-verse TOS they can charge whatever they want and pass on any new price increases.

This kind of reminds me of having an AT&T landline for 35 years and was told when signing up w/U-verse as long as I kept it bundled with TV/internet I would continue to receive a $5 discount on my phone bill even after my promo rate expired. About 2 years after my promo rate expired the $5 discount disappeared from my phone bill so I called CS and spoke with 2 different reps. They said they have no record I ever received any kind of bundled phone discount but couldn't explain the $5 increase in my phone bill. Go figure and this must have been when AT&T decided they wanted out of the landline phone business.

I can't speak for this latest price increase, since I no longer work for AT&T, but in previous years, customers who signed up for a $89 for one year bundle (for example) had the promotional discount increase in February to offset the price increase. It is possible that AT&T change that policy this year.

In your case, it sounds like the rep who offered you the promotion didn't explain it properly, which is unfortunately common. Many reps (and customers) focus on the final price when the promo is applied ("Your bill will only be $95 a month for the next year!") and don't explain that the promotion is not for the price, but for the discount.

72 of 80 (2,062 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 6, 2013 12:27:07 PM
(0)
Contributor

Why are prices so high? phones, internet, uverse. I signed up for uverse when it was available 09/12 - the installation paperwork was lost; so it took a full month to get it; after losing reception everytime is stormed I decided that the service did not warrant the cost and tried to cancel (no contract right?) everytime i called the att sales people would pull - this crazy talk which was trying to sell the product in circles; i never understood a word they said; one time a called and got transferred 8 times (not kidding) I was on the phone for over an hour - i'm not a quitter. i went into the store (no luck there either); whenever i changed my plan to one more affordable my bill got higher (not kidding); i'm done with uverse. and when i finally cancelled my plan (the phone) too they turned me into collection for uverse ($130) and phone ($300) for internet charges they never could explain over the phone. note: I never called anyone (no friends) and no games on the phone (still bill went up) and not to mention when I reviewed the bill there was a charge for $5 some line item that was blank. Add that up month after month. i sure hope you read your bills. good luck with customer service.

73 of 80 (1,883 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 23, 2013 10:13:50 AM
(0)
Community Support

Hey there meh12mo,

If you could send us a private message with the link in my signature, we can try to help out as soon as possible.

Thank you,

~Ryan, AT&T Social Media Manager

AT&T Customer Care

Need help with an account specific question?  Send us a Private Message.  We are here to help Monday - Friday. For additional support, please visit AT&T Support Center  or Contact AT&T.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

Follow us on: Twitter @ATTCustomerCare • FaceBook AT&T • YouTube AT&T

74 of 80 (1,709 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 2, 2013 11:27:48 AM
(0)
Contributor

"So let me get this straight, AT&T gets charged more for providing you channels, they add new channels and yet when they raise rates...you have  a problem with it. "

I had the basic television package, just local TV, they raised the rate.

I did have a problem with that. So I canceled the service and got an antenna.

They also raised the rate for my Internet service. To a rate higher than they were advertising on their website for the same speed.

Nothing changed. Hardware is as cheap as it ever was.

What excuse do you make for that?

Re: New Charges

75 of 80 (1,323 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 2, 2013 11:40:27 AM
(0)
Contributor

"I pay a whole lot more for my milk, bread, meat, cheese, etc, etc..., than I did last year too. After all the economy is getting a little better and, with the rise in the economy; higher prices are just part of it! Or didn't you learn that in economics in high school?"

One reason you pay more for those things is ethanol mandates have driven up the cost of corn, which is used for feed. Those items also have to be transported to market and rising fuel expenses add to their costs. They have little in common with a service that is delivered digitally over established lines.

btw, in a healthy economy, higher wages precede higher prices.

August 2012:

"While a majority of jobs lost during the downturn were in the middle range of wages, a majority of those added during the recovery have been low paying, according to a new report from the National Employment Law Project."

76 of 80 (1,318 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 27, 2013 12:39:17 PM
(0)
Tutor

this is a typical bait and switch that all of them do.  some worse than others.  comcast sorta hide it less, it specifically states "rate for x months" then it goes up.  when i switched to ATT the rep gave me the impression that it won't go up, and since there's no contract, just cancel if it does.  all the vendor already factored in less than x% of people will get upset enough to cancel and switch.  yeah... sucks for consumer when we have only a very limited few major players competing for business.

anyone happen to know what's the comparable rate for u200 with 24Mbps?  I am paying for $163.xx before taxes and fees.  i think i m going to cancel tv and get hulu+ or netflix or something along those lines.

77 of 80 (1,055 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 28, 2013 5:35:49 PM
(0)
Contributor

So I've had uverse for years now and suddenly they want to tack on an extra 2 bucks a month for "monthly high speed internet equipment" I already have, have been using for years and am being forced to use in the first place. To top it off the only explanation given in the email is a link to the uverse front page, that's probably the best virtual "eye roll" i've ever been party to. Don't spit in my face and tell me it's raining. I understand "Equipment fee's" and such are a big part of the profit margin but you'd think they'd cut long time customers a break. It'd be another thing if I was actually receiving something for that extra 2 bucks, better wifi signal, service, channels, a pack of tic tac's every month, anything would beat "Hey, we want more money." I feel silly making this post over 2-5 dollars a month but it sucks to feel like a company who you rely on every day is taking you for a ride.

As much as I love my service and have for many years I think it's about time to make the move and let some other corporate monstrosity steal my money and subvert my trust.

78 of 80 (1,020 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 28, 2013 6:06:10 PM
(0)
Employee
Edited by my thoughts on Aug 28, 2013 at 6:10:20 PM

For tlee111....non bundled ...non promotion regular price
U200................................$74
24M internet....................$66
Total..............................$140
Options
HD....................................$10
(1) add tv at $7 each.......$ 7. Note: add $ 7 for each add tv box.
HSIA equipment fee.........$ 6
Grand total......................$163 + taxes

for those upset over $2 hsia equipment fee, new customers charged $6 for same RG.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

[ Edited ]
79 of 80 (1,010 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 28, 2013 6:14:33 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

dajamany wrote:

So I've had uverse for years now and suddenly they want to tack on an extra 2 bucks a month for "monthly high speed internet equipment" I already have, have been using for years and am being forced to use in the first place. To top it off the only explanation given in the email is a link to the uverse front page, that's probably the best virtual "eye roll" i've ever been party to. Don't spit in my face and tell me it's raining. I understand "Equipment fee's" and such are a big part of the profit margin but you'd think they'd cut long time customers a break. It'd be another thing if I was actually receiving something for that extra 2 bucks, better wifi signal, service, channels, a pack of tic tac's every month, anything would beat "Hey, we want more money." I feel silly making this post over 2-5 dollars a month but it sucks to feel like a company who you rely on every day is taking you for a ride.

As much as I love my service and have for many years I think it's about time to make the move and let some other corporate monstrosity steal my money and subvert my trust.

You're kinda late.  The $2 equipment fee went into effect in February as discussed earlier in this thread.  

Good luck with your new provider.  I'm sure they will need raise your rate or add new fees.

80 of 80 (999 Views)