For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get the myAT&T app
jh1978's profile

Mentor

• 

39 Messages

Wednesday, March 30th, 2011 8:01 AM

Questions about Installation

So after checking the website for nearly 2 years U-Verse is finally arrived in my area. Im getting the triple bundle with max internet speed, u450 for TV, and phone. My coming in from directv tv and charter internet. Im hoping my install goes smoothly given its on april fools day. I currently have 4 HD DVR's with both coax and ethernet in every room (for directv's multi room dvr feature). Would it be best to ask the installer to use ethernet for the TV's or coax? Also we have allot of devices we connect to the net. We have 3 computers, 2 phone's that use wifi, and 2 xbox's. Will u-verse allow me to use my wireless router and hub? Thanks in advance for the suggestions I will post here as the install gets complete.

Mentor

• 

39 Messages

13 years ago

All went pretty well. The line techs arrived at 7:45am and said they would be working at the pole. At 8:45am the install tech called and said he would arrive in 45 minutes to a hour. He arrived one hour later and did what he called a I.N.I.D. "Intelligent Network Interface Device" which was basically installing a RG outdoor version on the side of my house then ran cat5 to a white ATT modem inside the basement which then went to a netgear splitter and had ethernet to each of my 4 HD TV's. He hooked up the boxes and then couldnt provision them. It turned out ATT on accident gave me a number (new phone number) that was already or still in use by another user. So while the 800# guys fixed that my install guy went to lunch (around 2:00pm). About 45 mins later the 800# ATT people called and asked if they could give me another number I said sure and 15 minutes later the tech was back from lunch and swapped out the boxes and all went flawless. He then activated the phone and tested it and setup the internet. Only bummer was I signed up for the 24meg internet service and after the install was done he told me 12meg was the highest offered in my area at the time. I let him go as everything was working fine. He ended up leaving at 5:00PM. I tipped him $100.00 for all his hard work. After he left I called ATT and cancelled the internet portion of my services and hooked up my cable modem (same price as ATT's 12 meg for 20 meg).

On to the service.. I get 3 HD streams and 1 SD stream but he told me the strong rumor is ATT is finalizing a update that will allowed 6 streams. Anyways on to the good stuff, the picture quality is VERY VERY good! Remember Im coming from Directv and I have NO gripes at all with the PQ. HD looks great, the box software is really amazing, I love the live rollover guide preview, ondemand, and the 155 HD channels. So far Im very very happy with my choice to switch to U-Verse. If the TV service stays reliable I will never look back at satellite or cable. BTW: I watched both the Celtics and Lakers games tonight in HD and had NO complaints with quality at all. Thanks to everyone for the answers and suggestions. If your reading this and considering switching I say go for it. Im more than glad I did.

Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

13 years ago

Cool that you got an iNID!  Glad to hear it went well and that you are happy with the HD PQ and channel offerings.

One of the great mysteries of UV is why some folks have problems with the HD PQ, in their eyes, but most of us don't. Smiley Wink

Welcome to Uverse! 

Expert

• 

23.3K Messages

13 years ago

Welcome to Uverse, enjoy.

Mentor

• 

39 Messages

13 years ago

thanks guys, some would say Im crazy for saying this but I seriously see no different between the HD quality with U-Verse and Directv and one of my TV's is a 50" plasma so with the screen being bigger it would give you more of a chance to see lack of quality but no complaints. I guess it can depend on location and quality of the installer?

Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

13 years ago

I don't think we have a concrete explanation. Smiley Very Happy

And you're right, the bigger the screen, the easier it is to see PQ.  IF I stand about 1 ft. from our 55" LCD, yeah, you can see blurring and muddiness...but sitting the proper distance away on the couch, looks great!

We don't watch Sports in this house, but that does seem to be where people see blurring more; anything with fast movement.

Everyone is entitled to their interpretation of wnat they see.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.