Need help with your equipment?
rrbunn's profile

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

Wednesday, February 20th, 2013 10:24 PM

Paying for 18mbps - significantly slower speed

Hello,

I'm seeing variable performance in my internet speed and I was hoping someone could look at the results of UV Realtime for me.

Basically all I want to do is play Modern Warfare on my xbox.  The game lags terribly though making it unbearable.  I'm not sure if UV Realtime is capable of monitoring this performance or not so I'm looking for help.

rrbunn

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

Something is causing it. If you are using the VM not MacOs, it can be throttling, if MacOs is sending connection info through the VM, then back to the onboard adapter, it can be casing issues.

You can do a reset and DNS flush on the Mac OS and see if that resolves the issue. Otherwise, if anthing else, network setup comes to mind.

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

Your stats are good, you are stating that things are fine when on another network, so the next thing is to go into the Gateway and make sure the Wifi is set for 54mbps if you use Wifi, if wired, that you are connected directly to the RG, not through a bad switch, bad wiring, or some third party hardware.

Also go back and double check everything as I stated above, that VM fusion has not screwed with your adapter settings. Weirder things have happened, and it always ends up being the simple thing staring you in the face that is the cause of this.

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

11 years ago

I would reiterate what somejoe said earlier.  Some program running on your network is using up all of your upstream bandwidth.  Bittorrent is a common culprit.  Basically, unless you change the settings in the torrent application to limit it's bandwidth usage, it will automatically utilize all of the bandwidth available to it.

Even if you could get your full download speeds, Modern Warfare, or any other game for that matter, would be unplayable without sufficient upstream bandwidth.  I personally rarely have problems gaming on a 6 meg connection.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

I have the same "peak hour" problem.

I have a brand new desktop with all the horseys one could desire and am wired directly to the modem.

I've subscribed for the 18Mbps connection but I'm always testing at 40-60% of that until about 11pm at night when I'm heading to bed (gfg).

I've monitored my network stats and confirmed that I was neither uploading nor downloading anything heavy at the time of the poor speed tests.

Also, ATT just re-ran all the lines in this complex, so it's not a wiring issue.

Even then, it doesn't matter. I just ran a speed test with 30 browser tabs open and running an online backup service with my wife streaming Roku in the other room and I test at 20Mbps (awesome, except I'm going to bed now and can't take advantage of the awesome).

Even more irritating is that this modem doesn't have a QoS interface to prioritize devices--welcome to 2003?

The only reason I didn't cancel on day 1 is because my complex doesn't offer anything but ATT. I've complained to the management, but I'm moving it 4 months so I don't exactly carry a lot of weight.

"Upgrade your service plan" boils my blood. I wouldn't have to upgrade if I received what I ordered. 

If I ordered the 12Mbps plan and got 8-12Mbps consistently, I'd be happy.

[Inappropriate content removed]

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

10 years ago

@drwood21 wrote:

If I ordered the 12Mbps plan and got 8-12Mbps consistently, I'd be happy.

[Inappropriate content removed]

Okay then, why don't you downgrade to the 12 Mbps plan?

Sorry for being snarky, usually I offer suggestions on trying to figure out what's going on, but I don't get the impression that's what you're interested in.  You've already diagnosed the problem to your own satisfaction and are just venting.

BTW, do you also have TV?

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

Please take a look at http://www.education.com/activity/comprehension/,
there may be some exercises to help you follow discussion points and
parallels.

NEW UPDATE:

ATT support said that there is a line issue and will send a technician.
That's good news. It's too bad that wasn't identified during the
installation. But I'm hopeful that this will be resolved.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

Good news!

The technician came in, replaced my modem and voila! It's now consistently over 15Mbps.

The tech said that this is fairly common and the modem replacement works well.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.