Get the myAT&T app
BigMons's profile

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Thursday, November 27th, 2014 6:37 AM

How Accurate Is The U-verse Availability Tool?

Hi, I'm just curious about how accurate the availability tool is. I live in a subdivision at the 236 street number. The highest tier of U-verse Internet offered is 18mbps. If I put in the street number 200, it shows 45mbps being available. I understand that scenario is entirely possible, but since it's a subdivision, I'm just curious if it's a rough estimate or if it's fairly accurate.

I'm currently getting around 30mbps from Comcast, and they sent me an offer for 105mbps that is actually a few dollars less than what I'm currently paying. My bill is still too high though and I don't particularly care for their TV service. I'm thinking seriously about giving U-verse a try, but I'm hesitant about dropping from 30mbps to 18mbps. If I could get 45mbps, I'd definitely try it. Thanks!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

9 years ago

@BigMons That 1300' makes the difference between getting 45M or 18M internet.  Your lines may not go in a straight line from the house that got 45M internet, so it might be more than 1300' difference in distance.

There is absolutely no way for sales or tech to know whether you get 4, 3 or 2 HD service or no service at all until the tech comes and checks at the NID.

The problem arises since they know where the VRAD is, they have to estimate distance from the crossbox/VRAD without knowing exactly where the crossbox/VRAD fell in your original line length.

So they estimate who can get Uverse by this some can get a 55M profile, many get the 32M profile, some get the 25M profile, some get pair bonded service, some can't get any Uverse and others who were not estimated are found that they can get Uverse.

Others can't get VDSL and are offered ADSL 2+ internet upto a 25M profile for 18M internet. 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

9 years ago

Hi, thank you for the quick response. I'm basically in a straight line from the other house, and Google maps estimates the straight-line distance from 200 to my house at 236 to be about 1300ft. Street number 200 is the first address in the subdivision. Google maps estimates that I am about 2025ft. in a straight line from the main highway. I do not know where the VRAD is located, but I assumed it would be near the beginning of the subdivision. I am ignorant of the technology though. There is one loop between 200 and my address at 236, but I do not know which direction the lines are run. I believe they are above-ground. I'll attach a very crude MS Paint rendering of the layout. Smiley LOL

Interestingly, if I put in the address 202, it only shows 18mbps as the highest tier. This makes me think that either the 45mbps option is erroneous for 200, or 45mbps is available further up the subdivision even though the website says that it isn't. It seems strange to me that 45mbps would be available at the first house and no other houses.

Is there a way to get more than an estimate before I order? Can someone run some type of line test or something remotely to check? I don't know what is and isn't possible. I just don't want to order 18mbps speed if 45mbps is available. That's the only issue that I have.

layout.png

1 Attachment

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

9 years ago

Thanks for the info! I'll go ahead and order the max plus 18 I suppose and see what happens. I was concerned that maybe I couldn't upgrade after doing a 1yr agreement for the 18 and then later find out I may be able to get 24 or 45. I'll order what's available on the site and then upgrade if they determine I can get better.

ACE - Expert

• 

14.1K Messages

9 years ago

@BigMons wrote:

Hi, thank you for the quick response. I'm basically in a straight line from the other house, and Google maps estimates the straight-line distance from 200 to my house at 236 to be about 1300ft. Street number 200 is the first address in the subdivision. Google maps estimates that I am about 2025ft. in a straight line from the main highway. I do not know where the VRAD is located, but I assumed it would be near the beginning of the subdivision. I am ignorant of the technology though. There is one loop between 200 and my address at 236, but I do not know which direction the lines are run. I believe they are above-ground. I'll attach a very crude MS Paint rendering of the layout. Smiley LOL

Interestingly, if I put in the address 202, it only shows 18mbps as the highest tier. This makes me think that either the 45mbps option is erroneous for 200, or 45mbps is available further up the subdivision even though the website says that it isn't. It seems strange to me that 45mbps would be available at the first house and no other houses.

Is there a way to get more than an estimate before I order? Can someone run some type of line test or something remotely to check? I don't know what is and isn't possible. I just don't want to order 18mbps speed if 45mbps is available. That's the only issue that I have.

layout.png

Hearing your description and looking at your drawing...I'd almost wonder if 200 is served by a VRAD based along the highway, completely separate from the rest of the houses on your street.

Regardless of what anyone thinks is available, if the ordering tool (which will have the same info as the online tool you used) says 18 mpbs is the highest avaialble, that's the highest you can order.

1 Attachment

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.