Get the myAT&T app
snaduvinamani's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Thursday, October 23rd, 2014 4:17 AM

30 day free trial terminated within a week and still getting bills

Acc no **** .. 30 day trial started on 9/12 .. I was not satisfied with service so called up customer service got the services terminated and returned the equipment on 9/19 through ups.. I was assured that since I have terminated within the first month I owe nothing.. But I am still getting bills.. Frustrated explaining this to customer care

[Edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc.]

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

9 years ago

@snaduvinamani wrote:

Acc no **** .. 30 day trial started on 9/12 .. I was not satisfied with service so called up customer service got the services terminated and returned the equipment on 9/19 through ups.. I was assured that since I have terminated within the first month I owe nothing.. But I am still getting bills.. Frustrated explaining this to customer care

[Edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc.]

@snaduvinamani - I would recommend that you send a private message to the escalation team at AT&T Customer Care, and someone will get in touch with you.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

could you please clarify "Adjustment provided for monthly recurring charges only."

I was told the $49 installation would be waived and I've had no pay-per-view or on-demand pay movies, etc but when I cancelled the service I was told I would be billed for the time I used the service. Now I would not be cancelling the service IF it had worked well but I did not get a good picture - stopping, starting, tearing and totally freezing and the phone would cut in and out and the internet was like dial up. Yes, I had them out (several times) and they replaced boxes and I rebooted and rebooted… they upped the internet speed from 18 to 24 and still s.l.o.w. but I think I am too far from the source. I decided to back out of this "risk free 30 day trial" so why should I be billed anything?

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

9 years ago

@gardener98 wrote:

could you please clarify "Adjustment provided for monthly recurring charges only."

I was told the $49 installation would be waived and I've had no pay-per-view or on-demand pay movies, etc but when I cancelled the service I was told I would be billed for the time I used the service. Now I would not be cancelling the service IF it had worked well but I did not get a good picture - stopping, starting, tearing and totally freezing and the phone would cut in and out and the internet was like dial up. Yes, I had them out (several times) and they replaced boxes and I rebooted and rebooted… they upped the internet speed from 18 to 24 and still s.l.o.w. but I think I am too far from the source. I decided to back out of this "risk free 30 day trial" so why should I be billed anything?

You will still pay the "montly recurring fees" for the days that you had the service.  Was that 10 days?  15 days?  29 days? 

Those 'fees' would include your install fee and any service fees, rental fees, and taxes that are billed as 'monthly' and you should be billed only for the DAYS you had the service. 

No one said you get the service FREE for 30 days.  It says "risk free" meaning you won't be charged any cancellation fee.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

thanks so much. I will probably fight the bill and hope for the best. I did keep notes, screenshots, calls and service visits. I was getting 5 or 6 mbps and they did up me to the 24 tier (free upgrsde!) and still crawling. I would not have gone back to cable had this worked. I'd put my feet up looking forward to 'my shows' and find they were so fragmented, they were unwatchable and this was with the replacement box and a lot of reboots. The wireless 2nd receiver had the same problems.

I think I will sure fight the billing.

Thanks!

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

9 years ago

Actually, you do not have to pay the monthly recurring charges for any part of the first 30 days if you cancel within the period.  It's everything else that you have to pay for, including fees that may have been waived had you not disconnected, included in these:

Installation fees (including extra runs)

On Demand and/or PPV TV

Metered calls beyond the number that would have been free, including International Calls

Charges for unreturned equipment

Taxes and/or fees that apply to a % of your bill for non-recurring charges.

So, in your case, I'd expect the installation fee and taxes and fees that apply to that.  Your monthly service should have been fully credited.  If you believe that this has not happened, I'd suggest you follow the earlier poster's advice and send a Private Message to customer caure.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

At the very beginning, AT&T promoted NO INSTALLATION OR ACTIVATION FEE!  Guaranteed full money back if not satisfied in the first 30 days!   I don't think AT&T has resolved anything by simply stating a lie.   The only way, as I see it, is to notify the State Attourney General's office and the BBB (Better Business Bureau) before AT&T will eat crow.

Thank you very much for this opportunity to BLAST AT&T for false advertising and misinformation.

There will be NO PAYMENT where NONE is required or expected.  This dog don't hunt!

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

Another misdemeanor on the part of AT&T.  So long as the public is apathetic toward this abuse the more pathetic it behaves.  There are none so blind as those who don't want to be bothered.  In some places in the world, people let people get away with murder.  We get closer and closer every day folks! 

At the very beginning, AT&T promoted NO INSTALLATION OR ACTIVATION FEE!  Guaranteed full money back if not satisfied in the first 30 days!   I don't think AT&T has resolved anything by simply stating a lie.   The only way, as I see it, is to notify the State Attorney General's office and the BBB (Better Business Bureau) before AT&T will eat crow.

Thank you very much for this opportunity to BLAST AT&T for false advertising and misinformation.

There will be NO PAYMENT where NONE is required or expected.  This dog don't hunt!

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

9 years ago

No installation or activation fee... if you keep service for 30 days.  Your monthly service price, excluding fees will be refunded if you cancel within 30 days.  It's called fine print.  Not the most consumer friendly tactics, but disclosed.

Current offer details right here, though I don't see any current offers for free installation:  https://www.att.com/shop/u-verse/offerdetails.html

Is this not true?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

I called someone to ask about Uverse service and the sales rep said the $49.99 activation fee would be waived if I didn't like, and returned within 30 days.  I also went into a store in Fresno CA, and the employee at the AT&T store assured me several times that there would be absolutely no charges if I got the service and didn't like it and returned it within 30 days.  However, I come here and see this.  This is exactly why I am still too nervous to try it out.  Both sales reps assured me it was a 30 day free/risk free period.  But nobody could show me the written policy.  Sounds like the same thing happened to this guy, but he believed the salesperson, ended up not liking the service, and now has a big problem on his hands.  No thank you!  

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

Update on all that hullabaloo.  I sent a message to the BBB and the Attorney General about this AT&T U-Verse 30-day moneyback shenanigan..... and mentioned the waiver of installation and activation fees.

While waiting, AT&T U-verse is still sending me bills for installation costs, non-return of equipment and a month's worth of service.   My wife, in an attempt to get AT&T to leave it alone, she sent them a check for the 10 days of service we used (before we quit them) along with a long letter describing how their handling of our situation makes for nothing but bad business.  We promised if they didn't get the hint, we'd take additional steps with the BBB & State Authority.

I received a call from an AT&T representative.  She asked me several questions regarding my short-lived customership with AT&T - I answered with mention of all the same issues regarding 30-day money back if service was terminated within the 30-day period.... that the equipment was returned that same day the technician came out and disconnected service.... then She mentions "Yes, and you also sent in a check to cover partial usage of service."  I was surprised this AT&T representative was so well-informed.  She updated the account to show $0.00 and refunded the amount of the check we sent.

Wonders sometimes cease.... and then show up like they never ceased. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.