For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
What is happening with 3G?
jeffcort's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, July 9th, 2014 6:42 PM

will microcell work without GPS signal?

will microcell work without GPS signal?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Scholar

• 

218 Messages

10 years ago

Short answer- Nope.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

thanks

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

10 years ago

That was easy. Thanks rjniles.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

10 years ago

As an afterthougt, if the reason of the question is because the OP can't place the MicroCell next to a window, there are extension antennas that one can puchase that will connect into the antenna hole on the back of the MicroCell and he can place it up to 50' away from a window.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

Always has worked fine for me!  Just fire up your microcell outside or near a window with a good view of the sky (long ethernet cable helps).  Wait for all the lights to come on including the GPS lock and be sure your activation is completed.  Then unplug, move it to where you want and plug it back in.  You must do this within about a minute or less.  All the lights will come back on and you'll be good to go.  If you ever lose power for an extended period of time, you will have to repeat the process (not the activation, just the move it til you get GPS lock).  This always worked great with my DPH151-AT and now works fine with my DPH154.  The DPH151 had external antenna capability, but the new DPH154 does not...but doesn't matter, you don't need one.  And you don't need a GPS repeater either.  I don't know if there is something special that support coded on my account to make this work, but I've done it like this since microcells became available in my area years ago.  Pretty sure it was Support who told me how to do it way back when...as I'm pretty sure it is not in the manual.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

I activated my mcell this way - putting my mcell near the window to complete the activation process. I then moved my mcell back near my router (so the wires aren't running through our living room). Worked for 24 hours giving us 5 bars on our phones. YAY!

Woke up this morning and the bars are gone - checked the mcell - I've lost the GPS light and thus the mcell. The top 2 lights are blinking and my phone is back to 1 bar. 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

Unplugged it, moved it back near a window, it gave me all solid green lights and its now back near the router. Crossing fingers it stays "found" by GPS. We are in a lousy spot for satellite - wish it wouldn't need that feature.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

8 years ago

@flamedog22 and @kaky1956 - there is no special "coding" to make the MicroCell work without GPS lock. Period. This is from my Tech Guide:

"The MicroCell needs to maintain a GPS lock at all times. This is for E911 services and for timing purposes to allow the data packets to synchronize between the MicroCell

and the nearest tower for handing off calls. The MicroCell does not have a very good atomic clock embedded so it needs to do this for timing the packets.

AT&T performs maintenance on their network usually on a nightly basis during the hours of minimal usage, usually very late at night or early in the morning. GPS location is verified by using the local tower and the NWL (Network Listen) protocol. If NWL fails for any reason, then the MicroCell uses the standard GPS scan to confirm location. If that fails, connection is lost until it can be re-established by either re-booting or calling support if the reboot or deactivating/reactivating doesn’t work.

GPS also allows the MicroCell to choose which frequencies are licensed by AT&T that can be legally used in the area. Since the unit operates on the same frequencies as used by the towers, it must operate within the licenses owned by AT&T but these licenses can vary from region to region."

Your situation is obviously unique but AT&T needs to keep the instructions very generic to be able to cover as many situations as possible.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

8 years ago

It would be nice if it allowed manual entry of GPS location, like wifi calling does.  

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

Manual entry can be done with a call to tech support. The latitude and longitude can be entered if the physical address entered doesn't match up with the expected location.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.