Posted Jan 22, 2010
5:32:40 AM
View profile
iPhone Not Connecting to Microcell
I have had the AT&T Microcell now for about a month.  When it works, it works great.  But for some reason, it gets to where it won't connect to my phone.  I am right now sitting here with my iPhone sitting on top of the Microcell and yet it still won't connect.  On the iPhone, I've tried rebooting it, turning WiFi on and off, turning 3G on and off, and turning flight mode on and off... and still I sit with no bars.  Sometimes it will work fine... sometimes it won't.  I can spend 15 or 20 minutes and restart the Microcell and that will work sometimes.  I believe this is happening with our other non-iPhone phones too, but I don't use them every day so have the most knowledge about my iPhone.  It is very, very frustrating because the coverage here is so bad that when the Microcell isn't kicking in then its hit or miss on calls and texts.  Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this?  I need reliable service here.
79 replies
(2) Me too
(2) Me too
Replies
(79)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2010 6:42:02 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by ben.day on Nov 4, 2010 at 6:44:04 AM

Update. 

So I was having problems with my iPhone 3GS (iOS4.1) connecting to the MicroCell and the only way to make it connect was to turn off WiFi and then toggle Airplane Mode.  Throughout the day, my iPhone would drop its connection to the MicroCell at least a couple times per day.  Last week, I went through another round of AT&T tech support and got my 4th (count 'em: 1..2..3..4) MicroCell.  Same results.

Anyway, in the last week, I got a new Windows Phone 7 device (the LG model).  I dropped in the SIM from my iPhone and the Windows Phone 7 device connects to the MicroCell flawlessly.  My iPad running iOS3 also connects to my MicroCell flawlessly.

I no longer have *any* doubt that there's something wrong with iOS4.*. 

Good riddance, iPhone.  I can make and receive phone calls again.

-Ben

-- PS...my wife is still on the iPhone 3GS (iOS4.1) and after 5 months (!) of back-and-forth with AT&T tech support, she can still almost NEVER connect to the MicroCell. 

Re: iPhone Not Connecting to Microcell

[ Edited ]
31 of 80 (7,623 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2010 8:57:11 AM
(0)
Guru

FWIW, if it's an iOS 4 problem it's not universal.

My wife has a 3GS with iOS 4.1 and she never has any problems connecting to our MicroCell.  Calls don't drop.  No stuttering or incoming calls going direct to voicemail, she can and does send MMS messages, etc.  I also have friends and family that have iPhone 4's and they don't have MicroCell issues either.

I've theorized that those and other problems that have been reported on this forum are geographically centered.  That is....some areas of the country have problems and others don't.  Here on Long Island the MicroCell pretty much works as advertised.

In the meant time, rumor had it that a firmware update was supposed to be rolled out in November.  November is here.  I'm waiting to see if people who were having problems start reporting that those problems have been fixed.

32 of 80 (7,603 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2010 11:00:09 AM
(0)
Guru

jefe wrote:

In the meant time, rumor had it that a firmware update was supposed to be rolled out in November.  November is here.  I'm waiting to see if people who were having problems start reporting that those problems have been fixed.

The big problem is that, for us, the problems we have are intermittent. And because AT&T doesn't tell anyone anything (even their own support staff, so far as I can tell), there won't be any way for us to know that an update has been sent. So in a normal universe, the conversation would be, "We sent you an update. Try it and see if it doesn't fix your problems." But AT&T doesn't do the standard things that any five year old would think to do that would make their customers happy.

33 of 80 (7,585 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2010 11:08:14 AM
(0)
Guru

Yep, I get that nsayer, and I agree with you.

I'm hoping that someone will notice that their problem(s) has/have been fixed, will report that here, causing others to chime in and report whether or not any progress has been made with their issue(s).

Not the way it would be in an ideal world but, then, what is?

34 of 80 (7,575 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 15, 2010 10:27:11 AM
(0)
Contributor

I just struggled through this this weekend.  I did the Airplane Mode, reset Network Settings, and finally did a restore.  It was during the restore that I noticed the Microcell connected briefly.  When the backup was synced, the Microcell no longer connected.  I then tried swapping SIMs between two iPhones.  One phone worked with either SIM, the other phone didn't work with either.

Finally, the answer.  3G was turned off somehow.  I turned it back on and all is right with the world!

35 of 80 (7,349 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 17, 2010 7:27:34 PM
(0)
Teacher

both my iphone stopped to connect to the cell last night. All the lights on the cell device is fine. I restarted both phone but no help. I turned off the cell and the service never come back. the 5 bar light keep blinking while all other lights are on. I think it must be something with the microcell service which ATT will never tell you and even the light is lying. they don't allow your phone connect to it because service is not avaliable.

36 of 80 (7,258 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 17, 2010 7:31:33 PM
(0)
Teacher

My 3g light finally stop blinking and I checked my iphone and both phone are connected to the cell.  so I think if your iphone can't connect to the cell, try to reboot the cell not your iphone..I trust Apple more than At&t

37 of 80 (7,256 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 21, 2010 6:24:14 PM
(0)
Contributor

In the interest of keeping this post alive.  I continue to have the same problem as described for months.  I have a 3GS.  If I shutdown or power down, the connection to Microcell is made and works beautifully.  If I leave my home and come back, no signal, until I cycle again.  Good grief!!

38 of 80 (7,152 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 22, 2010 6:36:55 AM
(0)
Guru

clarym wrote:

In the interest of keeping this post alive.  I continue to have the same problem as described for months.  I have a 3GS.  If I shutdown or power down, the connection to Microcell is made and works beautifully.  If I leave my home and come back, no signal, until I cycle again.  Good grief!!

You might be one of those who would benefit from replacing your SIM card.  There have been a few posters who have reported doing so helped.  And my daughter-in-law, in fact, found that replacing the SIM in her 3GS improved what had been flaky performance with her iPhone and MicroCell.

39 of 80 (7,122 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2010 7:04:52 PM
(0)
Contributor

We've been having trouble since October.  Read all of these posts and tried turning on and off Airplane mode - and now the Microcell is showing up.   Will keep the forum posted as this has been a real challenge for us as we purchased it because of the purportedly improved signal.  Our problems coincided with the introduction of 3G in this city.  Not sure if it is related.

40 of 80 (6,863 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 20, 2010 2:31:46 PM
(0)
Contributor

I think I may know what the issue is.  If the phone had any active data connections, the OS won't release the modem and let it roam over to the microcell.  The next time I get bounced off, I'm going to try killing all the running apps to see if that does it.

41 of 80 (6,034 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 21, 2010 9:44:59 AM
(0)
Tutor

Also trying to keep this thread alive...here's another update.

It's been about 1.5 months since I dumped the iPhone and went for a Windows Phone 7 device.  My WP7 connects to the MicroCell without problems -- all day, every day. 

My wife's iPhone 3GS *still* doesn't connect to the MicroCell without going in to Airplane Mode.  The Airplane Mode trick doesn't always work either -- only about 60% of the time -- and she has to try it multiple times per day to stay attached to the MicroCell.

Has anyone heard anything new about firmware updates to the MicroCell or OS updates to the iPhone?

42 of 80 (5,995 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 22, 2010 3:20:19 PM
(0)
Contributor

I've also had the Micro Cell for a month or two.  It worked great for a while now no connectivity.  AT&T says it's been blocked by an outside source.  That tells me "hacked".  The will unblock in a couple of days.  Call AT&T a be persistent. 

43 of 80 (5,920 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2011 10:40:55 AM
(0)
Mentor

With our iPhone 4s and the microcell, the issue is the time it takes from the time I dial the number until it starts to ring.  sometimes it can take 45 seconds, and other times it just fails the call.  If I reboot the iPhone, the time drops to about 4 ~ 6 seconds, but after a while, the time goes back up to 30 ~ 45 seconds.

In reading the posts on this forum it appears that no one has a solution to this so far.  

I am glad that I did not have to pay for this Microcell, as it has only been marginally better than the regular cell tower coverage in our neighborhood.

iPhone Not Connecting to Microcell

44 of 80 (5,397 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2011 9:47:18 PM
(0)
Contributor
May be it is because that following conditions are not being met:

1. Confirm the AT&T 3G MicroCell is within 3 feet of a window with a clear unobstructed view of the sky. 
  2. Verify that the AT&T 3G MicroCell is at least 1 foot away from the the Wi-Fi router, or other wireless broadcasting devices.
  3. There is required a broadband internet connection.  Minimum download speeds of 1.5 Mbps and upload speeds of 256 Kbps recommended.  All providers are supported.  Satellite Internet is not supported.

45 of 80 (5,361 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 27, 2011 7:57:37 AM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by gjlieber on Feb 27, 2011 at 8:01:02 AM

May be it is because that following conditions are not being met:

1. Confirm the AT&T 3G MicroCell is within 3 feet of a window with a clear unobstructed view of the sky. 
  2. Verify that the AT&T 3G MicroCell is at least 1 foot away from the the Wi-Fi router, or other wireless broadcasting devices.
  3. There is required a broadband internet connection.  Minimum download speeds of 1.5 Mbps and upload speeds of 256 Kbps recommended.  All providers are supported.  Satellite Internet is not supported. 

The MicroCell is within 3 feet of the window and 5 feet from the Wi-Fi router, and our AT&T DSL service is 6.0 Mbps/1.0 Mbps.
Other ideas?

[ Edited ]
46 of 80 (5,337 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 28, 2011 7:16:29 AM
(0)
Guru

gjlieber wrote:

With our iPhone 4s and the microcell, the issue is the time it takes from the time I dial the number until it starts to ring.  sometimes it can take 45 seconds, and other times it just fails the call.  If I reboot the iPhone, the time drops to about 4 ~ 6 seconds, but after a while, the time goes back up to 30 ~ 45 seconds.

Our Microcell currently has this as the major symptom as well. It's a transient problem, so the fact that it's better after rebooting your phone is a red herring.

It's almost certainly a problem with the back-end services at AT&T/Cisco, but it's yet another of the Microcell's problems that they refuse to acknowledge, let alone deal with.

47 of 80 (5,296 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 10, 2011 7:18:57 PM
(0)
Mentor

I jut updated my iPhone 4 to iOS4.3 and all of the delay issues are gone.

48 of 80 (5,086 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 20, 2011 5:51:54 AM
(0)
Tutor

My husband and I each have an iPhone 4. His connects to our microcell with no problems, mine will not. I have tried restarting my phone and cycling through airpane mode, to no effect. Any ideas?

49 of 80 (4,913 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 20, 2011 6:32:19 AM
(0)
Guru
Edited by jefe on Mar 20, 2011 at 6:32:52 AM

lgrooms wrote:

My husband and I each have an iPhone 4. His connects to our microcell with no problems, mine will not. I have tried restarting my phone and cycling through airpane mode, to no effect. Any ideas?

Have you looked at the MicrcoCell manager web page to make sure your phone number is registered with the MC?

[ Edited ]
50 of 80 (4,907 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 21, 2011 4:14:09 AM
(0)
Tutor

Yes. My number is the first listed. I considered deleting my number and relisting it, but the delete option is grayed out next to my number.

51 of 80 (5,257 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 21, 2011 5:23:12 AM
(0)
Guru

My number is the primary number on our account and delete is grayed out for me too.

If you swap sim cards with your hubby does the problem follow your number or stay with your handset?  A faulty sim card has caused problems for some people.

And you might try disconnecting/removing the MicroCell from your account and then adding it back on.  That has fixed problems for some users. 

Then there's always calling at&t tech support for help.  Good luck there.:smileywink:

52 of 80 (5,247 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 13, 2011 9:52:10 PM
(0)
Voyager
I have an iPhone 3GS with iOS v4.3.1. I'm having this problem as well. None of the suggested fixes consistently work for me. AT&T support hasn't been able to provide me with a solution.

My solution is that I'm dumping AT&T and returning to Verizon as soon as the iPhone 5 is available...

53 of 80 (5,003 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 14, 2011 10:11:04 AM
(0)
Explorer

I'm switching to Verizon when the iphone5 comes out too!!!

54 of 80 (4,989 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 15, 2011 9:43:21 AM
(0)
Guru

I would wait until an LTE iPhone variant comes out. There's already little point in buying an EVDO or HSPA iPhone today, much less buying one in September.

55 of 80 (4,960 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 17, 2011 8:32:48 AM
(0)
Contributor

My MicroCell stopped working last week after I upgraded to the newest version of iOS4 that was just released.  I've tried power cycling my MicroCell, phone, modem, and router to no avail!  :smileymad:

56 of 80 (4,919 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 17, 2011 10:30:56 AM
(0)
Contributor

Same thing here.  I have two iPhone 4s.  One is running 4.3.1 and will connect to the Microcell.  The other is running 4.3.2 and will not.  I've tried everything (switched SIMs, restarted MC, removed phone number and re-add it) and nothing works.  THIS IS A BIG PROBLEM. 

57 of 80 (4,912 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 19, 2011 6:04:59 PM
(0)
Contributor

I have 3 iPhone4's in my family. We have updated to ios 4.3.2 (8H7) and I did not even have to reset my microcell. everythign is fine, I don't  think it is the ios stopping you from this or we would have the same issue here.

geeves77

58 of 80 (4,876 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 19, 2011 6:58:03 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Interesting. We have 2 iPhone 3GSs and neither one of them have ever had any problems connecting to the MicroCell. No dropped calls, no delay in connecting, etc.

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

59 of 80 (4,873 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 20, 2011 9:49:27 PM
(0)
Scholar

No problems here either, except I got a dropped call today.  One iPhone 4, one 3GS.  Both on iOS 4.3.

60 of 80 (4,848 Views)