What is happening with 3G?
haunaben's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Thursday, March 22nd, 2012 2:01 PM

When will you acknowledge / fix battery drain issue?

There are now hundreds of posts across the internet confirming that the microcell causes rapid battery drain on many phones, and the only solution is to disable cellular data on the phone.

When will this be addressed?  

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

Fyi all. I have had the same microcell battery drain UNTIL last Fri. All the sudden i noticed the microcell was in a weird state ( I assume they pushed out an upgrade) so I rebooted it and it came fine. Didnt think anything of it but now the battery drain is GONE!!!

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

12 years ago

I tried power cycling my Microcell hoping that if there was new software/firmware that it would be upgraded.  After the power cycle, I continued to have the same battery drain issue on my Lumia 900.  Since ATT doesn't provide a way for the end user to find the software/firmware version the box is running, I have no way of knowing whether an upgrade actually happened.

I guess I am still hoping that ATT will someday fix a problem that they have yet to even admit exists.....

Pretty sad actually...

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

I have recently purchased an at&t microcell. My Samsung Galaxy S2 battery performance immediately became an issue. Prior to purchasing the microcell, the phone could go several days without charging. With the microcell, the phone becomes completely discharged by the next morning - this always happens. I tried upgrading the phone's battery, but this had no direct impact since the new battery also discharges completely by the next morning.

The microcell is definitely causing the issue. It also appears to have something to do with data connectivity. I can disable this phone feature and the battery life issue goes away. However, this is counter-productive as I use the phone and pay for data connectivity.

Please have someone from at&t look into and resolve this issue.

Mentor

• 

21 Messages

12 years ago

Bump.  This issue still exists, and still goes unacknowledged by AT&T.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

12 years ago

Double Bump.

I did see a little bit of improvement a couple of weeks ago.  My Nokia Lumia 900 will now last about 12-14 hrs versus running out of juice mid-day like it used to.  It still drains battery much faster than it does when I am away from home.  Since ATT refuses to put even simple functionality into the MicroCell to let end-users check what version of software/firmware it is running (another great customer service decision by ATT), I can't tell you if it was upgraded and if it was, what version is it currently running.  There are still problems that need to be improved but at least my phone doesn't die early afternoon like it used to.

ATT, where are you?  Care to comment?

Mentor

• 

60 Messages

12 years ago

Triple bump.

I have the exact same issue as the previous poster in regards to the Galaxy S II.  About 12 hours of battery life on the microcell and about 3 days with the microcell unplugged.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

I also have the same issue (Samsung Focus i917). When I would travel and stay in a hotel, the battery lasts for 2 days (WiFi, BlueTooth, 3G Data all on, syncing 4 email accounts + live tiles). When I'm at home with the MicroCell, it wouldn't last 8 hours without requiring a charge.

So, it would seem that it isn't my battery. I cannot rule out phone firmware, but it does seem telling that many others have had the same issue.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

This is EXACTLY what we have experienced on our iPhones.  I have a brand new iPhone 5 and keep the battery alive for more than 1/2 a morning now.  My husband inherited by iPhone 4S and he is not a heavy user of the unit.  You can watch the battery drain, just sitting on a counter.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

11 years ago

@migrus wrote:

This is EXACTLY what we have experienced on our iPhones.  I have a brand new iPhone 5 and keep the battery alive for more than 1/2 a morning now.  My husband inherited by iPhone 4S and he is not a heavy user of the unit.  You can watch the battery drain, just sitting on a counter.

Which is exactly opposite of what we experience. We have an iPhone 5 (6.0.2), 4, and a 3GS. None of them exhibit the battery drain that  you have. Our phones hold charge for about a day and-a-half before they get to about 10%. But, they don't last as long as the old Samsung (wife's phone) that we have. I think a lot of it has something to do with the way iOS (and some other newer phones) keeps a lock on the MicroCell signal and how much power it uses to tnx/rcv the signal. Obviously a lot of it is use related and when we do use our phones at home, we don't stream any audio or video. Another trick we do is disable the apps that we don't use a lot or want to keep open. The only apps I keep open all of the time are Messages, Phone, Music, and Find iPhone. After a day of use, I routinely turn off all of the apps I've been using except for the ones I mention. That does help the battery life somewhat. However, battery life out of MicroCell range doens't seem to be much different.

Scholar

• 

181 Messages

11 years ago

What's is at&t fanboy?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.