Posted Jun 24, 2013
TP-LINK TL-R470T+ v2.1 - not working with 3G Microcell

Hey all,

Anyone had luck running a TL-R470T+ v2.1 TP-LINK router?  This is a dual WAN router and I have it in single WAN mode with all of the firewall settings unblocked.  I can't get my Microcell to activate behind it.  I am running the 1-2013 firmware (latest).

Thanks!

TP-LINK TL-R470T+ v2.1 - not working with 3G Microcell

29 replies
(1) Me too
(1) Me too
Replies
(29)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 24, 2013
(0)

Can you give us a little more detail on how you have it setup and the type of internet service you have?

AT&T's 3G MicroCell Guide | 3G MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: TP-LINK TL-R470T+ v2.1 - not working with 3G Microcell

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 24, 2013
(0)
DSL. Modem works ok when using stock settings plugged into my pk5000 centurylink modem. I desire to set my modem to bridge mode and use my new 470 router to authenticate.

I've read a few others who struggled with this router and am curious if there are solutions.

I deselected all firewall settings, set DMZ for the microcell.

My router won't allow me to deselect blocking of fragmented packets. This may be the culprit.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 24, 2013
(0)

Yeah, disabling Block Fragmented Packets may be the issue. You'll have to figure out a way around that. Other than the basic router settings that are referenced to in my sig, it's difficult to get AT&T to help you because there are just so many different configurations out there that they can't possibly keep up with all of them.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 24, 2013
(0)

I have an email into tp-link asking about deselecting fragmented packets.

am hoping someone out here has that same router and can help with guidance.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 24, 2013
(0)

Contacting TP-Link is a good idea but I wouldn't ask them any MicroCell specific questions because they won't have a clue for the same reason that support won't have info on the TP-Link. Yeah, I hope somebody chimes in here because I'm not familiar at all with the TP-Links.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 24, 2013
(0)

Is only one of your devices performing NAT duties? Just thought about that because only one device can be handling the  NAT duties, otherwise the MicroCell won't work correctly if there is a double NAT going on.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 24, 2013
(0)
No double nat. DSL modem in bridge mode, router handling NAT.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 24, 2013
(0)

Ok. I read somewhere where you can't disable NAT on the 470T so it was worth a try.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 24, 2013
(0)
I need NAT on the 470T. My goal is to have the 470t do routing and my dsl modem simply be in bridge mode.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 24, 2013
(0)

Try a Priority setup: modem -> MicroCell -> router and see if that works. That's usually reserved as a trouble-shooting method to rule out any router issues but some people prefer that connection. If that works, at least you know the MicroCell is working and you can concentrate on the router. My DSL "modem" is set in bridge mode and all of the routing duties etc are handled by the router. I also have my router port forwarding to the MicroCell to a static IP address based on the MAC address of the MicroCell.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 24, 2013
(0)
Yes, that works.

From a few reviews around the web, there appears to be some setup/compatibility issue.

Hopefully someone with this same router will chime in.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 24, 2013
(0)

What would be your objection about setting up just the MicroCell in priority mode if that works reliably? Just curious.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 24, 2013
(0)
My new tplink router is significantly faster and more capable than my existing dsl modem's built in router functionality. Also, once I overcome this, I have desires to set up the router in dual WAN mode with microcell pointing to only one WAN. I'd be in a double NAT situation with the microcell in priority mode.

Thanks for your comments. Hoping someone out here has ideas.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 24, 2013
(0)

Well then I hope you can figure this out and can completely isolate the MicroCell to one WAN with it's own NAT that is totally separate from the other WAN. If you get this working, I'd appreciate it if you'd report back with how you did it so others can benefit in case they want to do the same thing. Good luck.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 24, 2013
(0)
That's why I am out here! Looking for help!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 24, 2013
(0)

I've never seen your kind of router reported on here before and I'm here quite often. Doesn't mean that somebody wont' stop by though. Does your router even see the MicroCell?

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 24, 2013
(0)
Yes.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 24, 2013
(0)

Ok. IPSec Pass-Through is enabled and ports 4500 and 500 are open? What do the lights look like on the MicroCell (power, internet, GPS, and 3G)?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 24, 2013
(0)

yes.  fails to authenticate.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 24, 2013
(0)

power, ethernet, gps are illuminated.  5 bar light blinks for a while then turns red.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 24, 2013
(0)

Ok. If the 3G blinks red that usually means a hardware failure. Sometimes if AT&T pushes an update that causes the MicroCell to reset, and the reset fails, the MicroCell "thinks" its a hardware failure. A hard reset (pushing in the reset button on the back for 30 seconds) usually clears the error. If it doesn't, the MicroCell may be defective. Did you buy this new from AT&T? If you did then it should be under warranty and you can get it replaced. However, you'll have to call support and go thru a few hoops before they determine that it qualifies for a warranty replacement.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 25, 2013
(0)

it's not a hardware fail.  it's working now while not connected to the TP-LINK router.

please stop trying to help.  We're getting no where.  I need someone with experience with this particular router.  I appreciate your help, however, I've gone through a lot of these troubleshooting techniques and I am looking for hardware specific suggestions, not general debug.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 25, 2013
(0)

Ok. Just for future reference the blinking red 3G is indicative of either a MicroCell hardware failure or an incomplete reset, which mimics a hardware failure. I wish you luck in finding someone who is using this router and a MicroCell purchased from AT&T. If you do get resolution, please report back.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 25, 2013
(0)
Will do. I might be wrong on the red color. It continued to blink. It's not hard ware from what I can tell. MCell is working fine without this router.

I am having a dialogue with TPLink and they seem willing to help.

Will report back!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 25, 2013
(0)

That's great. Blinking green is an activation issue which can have multiple causes. Updates, AT&T server issues, up-stream provider issues, etc.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 6, 2013
(0)

Did you ever solve this problem?  Am experiencing the same.  Thanks.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 6, 2013
(0)

The last post was back in June so you need to tell us how you have your setup, ISP, etc.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 1, 2014
(0)

I recently purchased a TP-Link TD-W8980 and am facing the same issues.

I have set MTU to 1492, port forwaded 123,443,500 and 4500(udp and tcp) for the ucell but still not registering.  The ucell gets an ip addr and the internet and gps lights come on solid, but the bottom (bars) light just flashes and it never comes all the way up.  Next step will be to create dmz and put the ucell in that.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 1, 2014
(0)

It's been awhile since these issues came up with this particular router but is IPSec Passthrough enabled, Block Fragmented Packets disabled, only one device handling NAT, and ports 123 UDP, 443 TCP, 500 UDP, and 4500 UDP open (public and private)? You also may want to reset your router and the MicroCell (power cycle).