For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
What is happening with 3G?
miamihoosier's profile

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

Wednesday, September 24th, 2014 7:00 AM

Microcell will not re-activate with odd light pattern

My microcell has worked great for a couple of years.  I noticed it had stopped working and set about to fix it.  I have read every guide and tried everything.  Verified the power adapter is outputing 12 VDC.  (This last step to follow, I have tried several times with the same result)  My last step has been to deactivate it and re-activate it online.  I pressed the re-set button, plugged it in and held the reset button for 30 seconds.  Off it goes.  Powers on, gets the ethernet solid green, gets the GPS position.  The 3g light flashed rythmitically for a few minutes.  Next, the 3g light flashed in a on/off, faster pattern for several minutes (downloading firmware?).  When the 3g light went solid, the unit appeared to re-boot.  Powered back up, got the ethernet signal, got the GPS lock and the 3g light started flashing. When the 3g light goes solid (about 4-5 minutes), it is solid for about ten seconds.  Then it goes off, along with the GPS light and the ethernet light.  Only the green power light stays on.  That's it.  It will sit there forever, with the green power light on with no production!  The online activation screen shows green and check marks in the first three boxes (power on, software update and GPS lock) however it will never complete the activation.  It seems to me that it is not connecting to the ATT servers for final activation.  What would trip the three bottom green lights off and leave the power light on?  It's easy to say it has failed, but it is frustrating to not see how it could of failed if it has successfully powered up, uploaded new firmware and gotten the GPS position.  Thanks for any input.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

10 years ago

It does sound like the unit is failing, especially given that the ethernet/GPS lights start blinking as well as the 3G light after remaining solid for a brief time. I would try a different ac adapter of the same power rating even though you've verified that the one you are using is 12VDC. We've seen a failing ac adapter cause all kinds of squirrely things. Does it "feel" hotter to the touch than you would expect? Very subjective I know but it should just feel warm, if that, to the touch.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

10 years ago

You state that you checked the output voltage of the AC adapter and found it to be 12 VDC.  I'm assuming you put a voltmeter across the adapter plug to determine that output.

I have checked the output on a good Mcell AC adapter and found it to be 16 VDC.  Keep in mind that when checking the output of the adapter that it is with no load on the output.  Typically, the output of the adapter will drop when connected to a load.  Therefore, if your AC adapter is putting out 12 VDC with no load, when it is connected to the Mcell it will output less than 12 VDC.  This could be causing your Mcell's odd behavior.

Buy another AC adapter that meets the Mcell specs (nominal 12 VDC output @ 1.25 A) and see if that solves your problem.  If it doesn't, then you will know that your Mcell is borked.  Then return the AC adapter for a refund.

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

10 years ago

I did measure the voltage, without load, at the end of the transformer cord.  I thought about that being a possible problem, but since it went through all the other steps, I figured it must be good.  It will take me a few days to get another power supply.  I'll let you know what I find out.  Thanks for the input.  

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

Did you ever find out the issue with this light pattern?  I have a similar situation.  Power goes green, network goes green, gps goes green, then a few minutes later the 3g light goes green for a few seconds, then all the lights except power go out.  I'm trying to activate the device for the first time.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

9 years ago

We need more information on how you setup the MicroCell, your LAN, ISP, and where you purchased the MicroCell (eBay or from AT&T). The post you responded to is 6 months old and I don't think the OP ever got back to us.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

Hey Thanks for the response!

I purchased the microcell from ebay.  They disconnected it from their account before sending it to me.  I've tried activating it multiple times via the att website and it just gets stuck on the last step of activation.

I have verizon fios.  The microcell has a reserved ip that's in the DMZ zone.

I've done a hard reset a bunch of times and it's stuck in this light pattern.  Before I messed with the router settings it seemed to be stuck with the blinking 3g light forever.  Now it connects for a few seconds and then all the lights go out except for power.

Any help is appreciated!  Att opened a case for me today and they'll get back to me in a few days.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

9 years ago

If all of the lights go out after awhile except for the power light, it could be a defective unit that might have become damaged during shipping. Buying MicroCell's from eBay always has a certain amount of risk.

If  you can't even get the ethernet light to stay a solid green then something is definitely wrong because that indicates that it's probably not even being seen by the router.  The GPS light should also be on. No GPS, no activation.

As far as router settings go, the minimum requirements are given in the instructions and are in the Tech Guide as well (link in my sig).

You could also have a bad ac adapter. It has enough power to activate the Power light but not enough for the rest of the unit. You could try and replace the ac adapter with one that has the same rating (the MicroCell is a bit sensitive to its power requirments) and see if that helps.

Have you set it up according to the instructions? That is, 18" away from a window with an unobstructed view of the sky and at least 2' away for any WiFi source?

If the MicroCell itself is damaged, they can't be repaired.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.