Posted Oct 1, 2013
8:45:55 AM
Microcell not connecting to the internet

I recently moved to a new house and can't get my microcell to connect to the internet. I have had it reconfigured, updated it with my new location, but none of that seems to matter because it won't even connect to the internet. In my old house (with a different modem) everything worked just fine. I'm not sure if it's a modem issue (it's a Cisco modem) or something happened to my microcell. It powers up just fine, but when it's connected directly to the modem, it doesn't get an internet signal. I've tried powering down all the devices, resetting the microcell, etc.

Has anyone had this problem?

Microcell not connecting to the internet

16 replies
(1) Me too
(1) Me too
Replies
(16)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 1, 2013 10:24:58 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

By not connecting to the internet do you mean that the ethernet light on the MicroCell is not lit, or is the ethernet connection ok and you just can't get thru the modem to AT&T's servers? I assume that your other devices can connect to the internet just fine.

3G MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Microcell not connecting to the internet

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 1, 2013 11:08:34 AM
(0)
Tutor

THe ethernet light on the Microcell is not lit. I know the modem work just fine because I can plug it into a router and we receive wi-fi throughout the house.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 1, 2013 11:49:28 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Do you have another enet port on the modem you could try? Or try connecting it to the router and see if the ethernet light (Internet light) on the MicroCell lights green. Try using a cable that you know is good.

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 1, 2013 11:59:57 AM
(0)
Tutor

The modem only has one ethernet port, but I don't think the modem is the issue. When I run an ethernet from the modem to my router, everything works fine. Full wifi throughout the house. I've tried three different cables from the MCell to the modem with no luck. I also tried a connection to the router, but no luck there as well.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 1, 2013 12:45:08 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

So then, the only light that comes on with the MicroCell is the power light? Internet, GPS, and 3G are unlit?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 1, 2013 2:56:56 PM
(0)
Tutor

Correct. One one button lights up - the power button.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 1, 2013 3:03:09 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

I'm going to have to look further into this because there have now been a few reported issues exactly the same as yours. Did you buy the MicroCell new from AT&T or is this an eBay/Craig's List purchase? Does it rattle at all if you GENTLY shake it?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 1, 2013 5:23:17 PM
(0)
Tutor

No rattle. And I bought it directly from AT&T.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 1, 2013 8:30:27 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Ok, thanks. I'll contact the Admins and see if they can get an answer from engineering (don't hold your breath though).

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 2, 2013 9:13:44 AM
(0)
Community Support

Hi samtopanga,

We received your private message and one of our managers will be reaching out to you so we can look into this.

Thanks!

Nicole K.

AT&T Customer Care

Need help with an account specific question?  Send us a Private Message.  We are here to help Monday - Friday. For additional support, please visit AT&T Support Center  or Contact AT&T.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

Follow us on: Twitter @ATTCustomerCare • FaceBook AT&T • YouTube AT&T

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 17, 2014 3:57:20 PM
(0)
Contributor

I am having the exact same problem, exact problem. No rattle either. Bought it directly through AT&T. Can you have a manager contact me on this issue as well. Sounds like a common problem or flaw with the units.

Note that the only reason one is needed is because AT&T service in the South End of Boston is very weak.

Thanks

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 17, 2014 4:53:36 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

It's not a common problem. The OP's issue must've been resolved one way or another because he never posted back and any discussions between CustomerCare and clients are not made public, at least by CustomerCare.

How do you have your MicroCell setup? Who is your ISP and what kind of service do you have? What is the light pattern on the MicroCell (what's lit up, color, blinking or not)?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 17, 2014 5:18:57 PM
(0)
ACE - Guru

I assuming he has the same problem as the OP....only the power button is lighting up.  Sounds like he should contact Customer Care and look into a replacement Mcell.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 17, 2014 6:07:29 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Yeah, I should've mentioned sending a PM to CustomerCare but I'm curious as to how he has it setup. Sometimes it's just a config issue that we can help him fix.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 17, 2014 8:31:00 PM
(0)
Contributor

It is the exact issue as the OP. Directly connected to the modem. Comcat ISP. Internet works fine wireless or when plugged in via ethernet cable.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 17, 2014 9:03:51 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Ok. So you have your MicroCell connected directly to the gateway and not the router. That rules out any configuration issues with the router. If the ethernet light on the MicroCell isn't green, then there's no connection. Have you tried a different ethernet cable or made sure the cable is snugly in place?