What is happening with 3G?
kann's profile

Tutor

• 

1 Message

Tuesday, January 10th, 2012 10:14 PM

Closed

Microcell issues

I am on my third Microcell...  ANY suggestions to make this thing work would be great !!  It loses its 3g connection everyday... has to be rebooted... has to sit in a window in order to find its GPS signal,  I am on the fastest internet speed, and been to internet service provider twice to check any problems with internet and there are NONE... Tech's have sent "updates" to my microcell, according to reps on phone, and it will work 4 even up to 5 days at one time with NO issues, then will lose it and here we go again.  Everytime AT&T tells me its a faulty box if it wont "keep" the updates... Three microcells later all with same issue.. not buying it... HELP  we have NO service in our home... Either let us out of contract, or fix it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

You mentioned port forwarding, what ports did you forward?  I just started having issue after this last week for some reason.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

12 years ago

The ports to forward to a static IP address assigned to the MicroCell are: UDP 123 public and private, UDP 4500 public and private, UDP 500 public and private, and TCP 443 public and private. IPSec Passthrough is enabled and make sure only one of your devices is performing the NAT duties (usually the router). I'm putting together a Sticky that has links on how to configure various routers should you need to do port forwarding. Not everyone has to.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

I too have had my microcell for a year and it has been flawless and I consider it great since I now have coverage in my very rural home.

However, today my cellular coverage is not happening. The light is blinking on the microcell.

After 3 resets I still do not have coverage. The wifi side of things is working but not the cell phone part.

Any Ideas or advice?

Former Community Manager

• 

5.2K Messages

12 years ago

Hey, got your private message and responded just a moment ago. Sorry you're having trouble. 

Here is a link with some troubleshooting steps, but please take a look at my PM too. Thanks 🙂

Tutorials - AT&T 3G MicroCell

Contributor

• 

10 Messages

12 years ago

Has anyone who had their microcell stop working recently had their problem resolved.  Mine worked for over a year with no issue and then just stopped a couple of weeks ago.  I have been in contact with AT&T support (Clarify CM case ID is:CM20120920_49355704), asked for several updates and still do not have a solution., I cannot explain how frustrating this is, I work from home and rely on my cell phone but I have very poor AT&T coverage here.  The microcell was the perfect solution.  Being a network person by trade, I know that most issue like this are caused by change, but I assure you, nothing has changed in my internal network. I can see multiple UDP conversations between my microcell and various devices on the internet, but the device just sits there flashing it's pretyy little 3G bars at me.  The only thing AT&T support people can say is "put it in priority mode".  1) it worked fine in it's current mode for a year why should I change it and 2) I do not what a device I cannot manage in front of my router.  What's the deal, this cannot be that difficult. 

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

12 years ago

@jrlance wrote:

Has anyone who had their microcell stop working recently had their problem resolved.  Mine worked for over a year with no issue and then just stopped a couple of weeks ago.  I have been in contact with AT&T support (Clarify CM case ID is:CM20120920_49355704), asked for several updates and still do not have a solution., I cannot explain how frustrating this is, I work from home and rely on my cell phone but I have very poor AT&T coverage here.  The microcell was the perfect solution.  Being a network person by trade, I know that most issue like this are caused by change, but I assure you, nothing has changed in my internal network. I can see multiple UDP conversations between my microcell and various devices on the internet, but the device just sits there flashing it's pretyy little 3G bars at me.  The only thing AT&T support people can say is "put it in priority mode".  1) it worked fine in it's current mode for a year why should I change it and 2) I do not what a device I cannot manage in front of my router.  What's the deal, this cannot be that difficult. 

Unfortunately I don't have a solution, but can confirm that I'm in the same position as you.  My microcell stopped working about a week ago (after working well for two years), and I didn't change anything about my setup either.

The history of my issue looks like this:

1. Discover issue.  Try power cycling, deactivating/reactivating, etc, multiple times, still broken.

2. Chat with ATT rep, no help.

3. Call ATT next day.  Informed of system outage due to "bad firmware update."  Told to wait.

4. Wait 2 days, call ATT again.  Told outage was resolved and my device should be working.  Told my device is bad and to get a new one, at my expense.  After kicking and screaming, agreed to RMA my existing mcell.

5. Tried new mcell, same problem (blinking 3G LEDs).

6. Spoke again with ATT.  Suggested standard stuff (move closer to Window, run speed test, etc.).  No help.

I'm also basically stuck at this point, as nobody from ATT can help me to resolve the problem.  I'm convinced, after trying a second mcell, that the problem is on ATT's, though they say there are no issues.  I'm also seeing UDP traffic to the mcell, so I don't think my router settings changed.  Just to be sure, I manually opened up the required ports on the UVerse router, with no change in behavior.

Sorry for just piling on with no solution, but I did want to confirm that you're not alone in what you're seeing.

Contributor

• 

10 Messages

12 years ago

...and it gets better and better.  The last time I had AT&T on the phone they promised they would have a technician that could actually work with me call me back.  I said that was wonderful, but don't have them call my cell phone because I HAVE NO SIGNAL WITHOUT MY MICROCELL.  Guess what, they just tried to call my cell and they could not hear me so they hung up on me.  I'm done, I have four phones under contract and the contracts all end in two weeks.  My $3k a year in cell phone dollars will now go to Verizon.  It didn't have to be this way, I am typically a loyal customer but I just can't deal with this incompetence any longer.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

Drops microcell several times a day, started 3 weeks ago after 6 weeks ok. Have to un[plug/replug to get Microcell signal back up.

After talking with 3rd tech I suggested how hard would it be to set the "switch to cell tower" signal to "if I have less than 3 bars in Microcell signal" then stop trying to go to the cell signal? When it loses Microcell signal I only get 1 4G bar which is not enough to make calls.

He reset the "when your on a call stop trying to reset to cell tower" which is suppose to help from dropping calls. No reso;ution coming except to stop using it and cancel ATT.

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

I have all the same issues.  According to AT&T help desk, the firmware update pushed out on 9/17 caused the problem.  After unsuccessfully working with a tech for a week and tring all sorts of combinations, I decided to go to an AT&T store and ask for a new microcell.  Surprisingly, they gave me one free without any questions.  

I deactivated the old microcell and attempted to activate the new one.  I was hoping that the bad firmware update would not be pushed out to the new microcell.   But unfortuately, the new microcell behaves just like the old one with the 3G light continually flashing.  I have deactivated to reactivated many times (definition of insanity???) without any change. 

For now, I think we are all just stuck until AT&T can get things figured out.

If anyone has any other successful news, please post.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

12 years ago

2 days ago I spoke with Microcell support and as stated Cisco pushed out a new update that once it hits your area we are DOWN. Mine has been down since monday. I have 1 bar signal at home for 2 iphones which actually means text only no call service. I pay extra for the unlimited calls off the microcell and work from home often. This is beyond frustrating 1 day I can understand credit my account and we will move on. But to be down for a week with no forseeable fix? Poor service and support, I am going to demand a substantial credit.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.