What is happening with 3G?
megadud's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, August 27th, 2014 4:39 AM

Microcell Stopped Working

So i have a microcell (the white one) that my dad got a few years ago.  He switched carriers and gave me the microcell, a while back.  I hooked it up and worked fine for a couple weeks, but now suddenly it's stopped working.  I've tried powering it off and back on, and the reset button.  I decided to try to deactivate and reactivate it, but it isn't reconnecting, so it isn't activating again.

More Specifics...

The Power light is on and solid green.

The Ethernet light is flashing with green with a consistent pattern (it flashes 3 times, then stops for the length of two flashes, then starts over)

The GPS light is flashing green with much less frequency than the  Ethernet light, but seems to be a constant flash

The Computer light is in perfect sync with the Ethernet light, but I'm using the conection where it is irrelevant (plugged into my router)

The 3G light is flashing red, but it's on more than it is off

If anyone has any ideas, that'd be great, I have garbage signal without this thing.

• 

25.7K Messages

10 years ago

Did you try to power cycle the router? See if that helps.  

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

So that is actually not a solution, my screen froze while I was looking at the solution...

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

10 years ago

@megadud wrote:

So i have a microcell (the white one) that my dad got a few years ago.  He switched carriers and gave me the microcell, a while back.  I hooked it up and worked fine for a couple weeks, but now suddenly it's stopped working.  I've tried powering it off and back on, and the reset button.  I decided to try to deactivate and reactivate it, but it isn't reconnecting, so it isn't activating again.

More Specifics...

The Power light is on and solid green.

The Ethernet light is flashing with green with a consistent pattern (it flashes 3 times, then stops for the length of two flashes, then starts over)

The GPS light is flashing green with much less frequency than the  Ethernet light, but seems to be a constant flash

The Computer light is in perfect sync with the Ethernet light, but I'm using the conection where it is irrelevant (plugged into my router)

The 3G light is flashing red, but it's on more than it is off

If anyone has any ideas, that'd be great, I have garbage signal without this thing.

The flashing ethernet light means you don't have an ethernet connection. If that doesn't connect, nothing else will work.

Nothing should be plugged into the Computer port so the light should be off.

GPS light flashing means  no GPS lock. No lock, no activation.

Flashing red 3G light either indicates a hardware failure or an update that didn't successfully complete and the reset failed so the MicroCell "thinks" there's a hardware failure.

If could be a failing MicroCell or the power adapter is starting to go. It pushes enough power for the Power indicator light to turn green but the rest of the board is power starved. If the power adapter feels hotter than it should (subjective I know) that's a good sign it's time to replace it. Look around for an adapter with the same rating as the one you have. Or you can check out the Tech Guide (link in my sig) for the specs.

It might be  helpful if you explain to us your setup. How you have the MicroCell setup, your ISP, etc.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

10 years ago

Buy an AC adapter with the same specs (12 VDC output, 1.25 A, positive polarity plug) as the existing one and try it.  If the problem goes away, you know the AC adapter was bad and if the problem remains I'd say your old Mcell is borked and you'll have to get another one. 

You can always return the AC adapter for a refund if it doesn't solve the problem.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

10 years ago

So how did power cycling the router get listed as a solution?  This needs to be removed.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

10 years ago

Don't know. That's a question I'll have to ask the Admins.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.