Posted Sep 19, 2012
6:02:43 PM
View profile
MicroCell Troubleshooting Guide with Port Forwarding

I've attached a link to AT&T's MicroCell Troubleshooting Guide for those of you who don't have it or have never seen it. It's fairly basic info but it's a nice document to have around if you're having some issues. It may save you a call to Support. It also has some port forwarding instructions for a few different routers if you need to go that route for reliable connectivity. I've also included the document that I put together for those who use the Apple Extreme Base Station (AEBS). Thanks to Planet-Ed for finding the AT&T document for me.

http://www.wireless.att.com/media/en_US/swf/3Gmicrocell/ATT3GMicroCell-Troubleshooting.pdf

Otto Pylot’s MicroCell Setup for the Apple Extreme Base Station

Using Airport Utility 5.6

I find working with Airport Utility 5.6 easier than 6.1 but if you update to 6.1, the settings will carry forward. Setup with 6.1 is very similar only I don’t see where to find the assigned DHCP Clients.

Disconnect everything that is wired to your AEBS with the exception of the MicroCell, and shut down anything that is connecting wirelessly.  Power cycle the MicroCell and the AEBS while they are connected via Ethernet to make sure the AEBS sees the MAC Address of the MicroCell and assigns it an IP address.

Launch Airport Utility -> Manual Setup -> Advanced tab

Loggings and Statistics -> Logs and Statistics (bottom of the page) -> DHCP Clients

Look for the MAC Address of the MicroCell and write down its assigned DHCP IP address. This is the address you will use for your MicroCell.

Airport -> Internet tab

Internet Connection: Connect using Ethernet

TCP/IP - Configure IPv4 Manually

DHCP - DHCP Beginning Address: 10.0.1.x, DHCP Ending Address: 10.0.1.xxx

Under DHCP Reservations: click the + and give a description to your device such as 3G MicroCell

Click on Reserve address by: MAC Address

Continue and type in the MAC address of the MicroCell, the IPv4 address is the IP address you assigned (in my case it's the beginning address, 10.0.1.x)

NAT - Enable default host at: 10.0.1.x, Enable NAT Port Mapping Protocol

Click on Configure Port Mappings

Port Mapping: click the + to add the first port

Service: leave at Choose a service

Public UDP Port(s): 123

Private IP Address: 10.0.1.x

Private UDP Port(s): 123

Name it whatever you want to call it (MicroCell1) and then go on and configure the other 3 ports in the same manner, giving them unique names (MicroCell2, MicroCell3, etc).

You may have to save after each step, that I don't remember.

Power cycle everything and check that the Airport Utility settings are correct.

Notes:

The MicroCell MAC Address is located on the bottom of the unit. Make sure the address matches

the address listed under DHCP clients. It has to be recognized by the AEBS to work.

Ports to forward are:

UDP 123 public and private

UDP 4500 public and private

UDP 500 public and private

TCP 443 public and private

Apparently IPSec Pass-Through is enabled and Block Fragmented Packets is disabled by default on the AEBS. This is important for the MicroCell to work but I don’t see where, or how, to check on this in the AEBS.

Make sure that your ISP doesn’t block any ports that you need.

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Sep 21, 2012 2:38:49 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

You're welcome. I can't post this as a sticky so as soon as our moderator gets back she'll post it at the top as a sticky and be available for all who need it. The AEBS port forwarding I had to figure out myself but to AT&Ts credit, the Troubleshooting Guide helped point me in the right direction, and was originally sent to me by a support person but I had a hard time finding the link until recently. Theoretically port forwarding should not be needed, even behind a router, but with all of the updates by AT&T and the failed resets, making sure your router always points to the same ip address based on the MAC address and the particular ports are always open, it makes for almost a fool-proof connection. At least it has for me, even when I got the dreaded blinking red 3G light earlier in the year. One power cycle and it's been solid since. As newer routers come on the market, it would be nice to keep the port forwarding section up-to-date. I'm trying to find out if there is an updated Guide.

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Accepted Solution

MicroCell Troubleshooting Guide with Port Forwarding

2 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(2)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 21, 2012 1:17:33 PM
(0)
Contributor

Looky here.  Thank you super ninja person for posting this.   I have spent FOUR DAYS on the phone with ATT after getting my microcell.  Do you have any idea how many times you can reboot all devices (modem, router, microcell) re-register device, and start over again in 4 days?  A LOT!!!

I work in IT, and I had an inkling that there was something needed in port forwarding.   It was ME, not ATT who said, maybe there are network speed requirements (ATT 'helper' response... no, I dont think so)... yes there is

It was ME, not ATT who said that maybe I should give the 3gCell a static IP address (they answered 'no', which is correct, but I have found it VERY usefull once I did so I knew what IP address to enter for port forwarding (I prefer not to do ranges).

And it was ME, not ATT who found not only your information on port forwarding but a number of other discussion sites that had this information.   You would think that ATT would have this knowledge on hand.  You would THINK ATT would have a list of modem/routers that are out today and even be able to walk someone through setting up these port forwarding requirments.   90% of there customers are going to expect a plug and play device.   This is SO not the case with this microcell.

I wish there was a way that this discussion could be first on the list.  So when people get the message "FTC101: MicroCell was unable to connect to the AT&T network through your broadband connection. Please power cycle your modem, router and the 3G MicroCell"  they can check there port forwarding settings first.   This would have saved me MANY DAYS had ATT thought to look into this.

Re: MicroCell Troubleshooting Guide with Port Forwarding

2 of 3 (35,816 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Sep 21, 2012 2:38:49 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

You're welcome. I can't post this as a sticky so as soon as our moderator gets back she'll post it at the top as a sticky and be available for all who need it. The AEBS port forwarding I had to figure out myself but to AT&Ts credit, the Troubleshooting Guide helped point me in the right direction, and was originally sent to me by a support person but I had a hard time finding the link until recently. Theoretically port forwarding should not be needed, even behind a router, but with all of the updates by AT&T and the failed resets, making sure your router always points to the same ip address based on the MAC address and the particular ports are always open, it makes for almost a fool-proof connection. At least it has for me, even when I got the dreaded blinking red 3G light earlier in the year. One power cycle and it's been solid since. As newer routers come on the market, it would be nice to keep the port forwarding section up-to-date. I'm trying to find out if there is an updated Guide.

Re: MicroCell Troubleshooting Guide with Port Forwarding

3 of 3 (35,786 Views)
Solution