Posted Dec 2, 2013
MicroCell Already Activated -> AT&T Web Keeps Wanting to Activate ... Grr...
Hi there Any help with this issue would be appreciated. I bought a MicroCell today .. DPH153-AT. They activated it for me at the store and I gave them a list of phone numbers to setup at the same time that can use it. One of them being my wife's phone number (she is on AT&T and uses an iPhone 4S). I plugged it in when I got home and it probably was fully working in 20-25 minutes. Got the text and my phone was using AT&T M-Cell. Perfect. Simple. Easy. Now my wife gets home and her phone is not attaching to AT&T M-Cell and has the standard terrible coverage in the house. Tried a few things to see if I could get it to connect to it but no luck. So logically I log into the the MicroCell login site. It immediately kicks me into wanting to activate a MicroCell. So that's a weird.. and unncessary. I figured I must just be in the wrong part of the site or something, so I go into the account details for my phone number. I have a new item under my phone number: MICRO CELL TRACKING It lets me click to Manage it.. which immediately kicks me back to registering a MicroCell. Grr... ok so fine I go through the motions and make my way to entering the Serial Number. Now I am entering the serial number from my MicroCell.. only it won't take it and tells me another customer is using this device. So what exactly am I supposed to do here? I can't manage the device from the website. What are my options?

MicroCell Already Activated -> AT&T Web Keeps Wanting to Activate ... Grr...

12 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(12)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 2, 2013
(0)
ACE - Master

I take it you bought the MicroCell at an AT&T store (you said the store was activating it for you). First of all, I don't know why the store does that. It's best to set it up at home then go thru the Activation Process so that phone registers to the MicroCell Service Area by verifying your location via GPS etc. (see the link in my sig to the Guide for detailed information).

There may be a problem with the MicroCell registration page and the browser you are using. Sometimes just switching browsers is all it takes. I'd disconnect the MicroCell (power, router, etc) and if you can get to the Activation page, I'd delete all of your information.  Then setup the MicroCell following the installation instructions. Basically place the MicroCell 18" from a window with an unobstructed view of the sky, connect the MicroCell via ethernet to your router/gateway and power everything up. You may have to reset the MicroCell by pusing in the reset button on the back of the MicroCell and holding it in for about 30 seconds. I'd then go to the Activation Page and start the process. Your phone number, or whoever owns the account will be the primary phone number. All other numbers are Approved Users but they all must have active AT&T accounts. The primary account must be an active, post-paid account but the Approved Users can be pre-paid accounts.

AT&T's 3G MicroCell Guide | 3G MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: MicroCell Already Activated -> AT&T Web Keeps Wanting to Activate ... Grr...

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 2, 2013
(0)
Contributor
yep got it from the AT&T store... I don't know what's best and I just followed their lead on this one. It worked fine when I got home and was online with my phone nearly instantly and I can actually make & receive phone calls for once. It's not the browser. If a website doesn't work with Firefox they're in the stone age but I checked with Safari and Internet Explorer. I also downloaded the MicroCell AT&T app. They all give me the same bogus message about the serial number being associated with another subscriber. There is no way for me to "remove" this device from the account because it never lets me get to a place where that could be done. Turning the thing off and resetting it seems to have only now removed my own phone's access to the microcell for a bit. It came back on and had my phone back re-attached about 5 minutes later. This didn't magically make the website realize everything is OK. Strangely I also have no idea how to get back to the account details page on AT&T where I could see the MicroCell device listed. It was a page with all the phones on the account but not the same one I keep getting to under "My Account." This is rather annoying... I guess I'll call in tomorrow.

Re: MicroCell Already Activated -> AT&T Web Keeps Wanting to Activate ... Grr...

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 3, 2013
(0)
Mentor

I would take it back to the ATT store and tell them to deactivate it ot give you a new one (unactivated). Take it home and acivate yourself.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 3, 2013
(0)
ACE - Master

rjniles wrote:

I would take it back to the ATT store and tell them to deactivate it ot give you a new one (unactivated). Take it home and acivate yourself.

That's a good idea. Something happened at the AT&T store. Deactivating a device can be a hassle at times so just tell them to take it back and give you brand new one. You might want to document this with a PM to CustomerCare or get a ticket number from phone support. Depending on the store manager and his policies, he might want to confirm with AT&T that you are having activation issues before accepting and authorizing a  Warranty Exchange.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 4, 2013
(0)
Guru

Yeah, sounds like the registration process borked your phone number as the primary account holder.  Only the primary account holder can log in to change Microcell stuff.  If you try to log in using one of the other phone numbers on the approved user's list, it will send you to the activation page and then you get told that the device is already registered.

Definitely need to start over from scratch with an unactivated Microcell.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 4, 2013
(0)
Contributor

Ok for some reason the website won't let me reset my password. It just won't let me set a new one so I just made a new account to provide the answer/outcome here.

There was no need to deactive or remove the MicroCell from the account. My phone number is not the primary account number phone number, but the login I was using is/was the primary account holder login and can see/manage all numbers on the account. As I mentioned, I could actually see the MicroCell listed under my phone number (and not any of the others). The MicroCell was, rightfully, assigned to my phone number.

It seems to be agreed across the board it's a bit funky the master phone number couldn't get to a spot to manage the MicroCell. However, we resolved this by creating a login associated with my phone number. Oddly this is something I suggested and asked AT&T about and they said this was not an option/would not resolve anything. After some time on with AT&T MicroCell support, we got an account created for my phone number and now logging in with my e-mail (associated with the #) lets me manage everything just fine. The master account still cannot manage / access the MicroCell even when logging into from my test just now but maybe there's some other way.

I've been using the AT&T MicroCell iPhone app now that this is working. The graphics are from the 1980s but it seems to work fine. Wife's phone got on the MicroCell right away.

I've been told and seen it written a number of times that phones must be turned off and on again to get on the AT&T M-Cell network. I can tell you first hand from both our phones, at least with iPhones (4S and 5S), this is absolutely not true. No need to do anything but wait a few minutes.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 5, 2013
(0)
ACE - Master

Interesting. The Primary Phone number has to be cell phone number of the cellular account holder. Same for the address (billing address), at least for Initial Activation. After Initial Activation you may have to turn off and on your phone so that it can register on the MicroCell and establish the connection parameters but after that, you should never have to turn off and on your phone to get it to work with the MicroCell. I've never used the iPhone app, for me it's useless and a bit limited. The registration page can be a bit unforgiving if the initial registration wasn't done correctly. Glad you got it all worked out.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 5, 2013
(0)
Guru

@ Otto,

That's not quite true.  The primary phone number can be the cellular account holder's phone number or another number that has been authorized by the cellular account holder.

Case in point, my wife's name is on the cellular account.  We each have separate cell phone numbers as do our two sons who are also on the account.  When I first bought the Mcell at an AT&T store, they activated it at the store and my oldest son's number somehow ended up as the primary number on the Mcell. 

Since I am the one who really manages the account and the Mcell, I contacted AT&T and told them what had happened and that I wanted to be the primary number on the Mcell.  If I recall, I had to put my wife on the phone to talk to the AT&T rep and have her give verbal approval to AT&T to do so.

My cell phone number is now the primary phone number and has the Mcell's serial number listed underneath it but my wife's name is still on the account.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 5, 2013
(0)
ACE - Master

@ Avedis53 - I was always under the impression that the primary phone number had to be associated with the account holder (name and billing address), who was, in turn, the owner of the MicroCell. At least for Initial Activation, after that, it could be changed. It's been years since I activated a MicroCell so maybe they've changed the rules a bit.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 9, 2013
(0)
Contributor
No that was a key part of my update/response. The MicroCell was, always has been, and still is directly associated with my phone number -- non primary. I am the one using the MicroCell at my location and that's how they set it up. It seems in reality it shouldn't matter but I'm guessing if you add multiple MicroCells to an account you may need them associated with different phone numbers. Not sure though.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 9, 2013
(0)
ACE - Master

Ok, your setup is getting a little confusing. For simplicity's sake, this is how mine is setup. I have a single MicroCell in my home. The mobile account is under my name and cell phone number. I registered the MicroCell and put my cell phone number in as the Primary number because I am the owner of the celluar account. The billing address of the celluar account is the same physical address that the MicroCell is located at (as confirmed by GPS). The rest of the family and friends who have AT&T mobile accounts are entered as Approved Users (guests) on the MicroCell and can connect when ever they are in range (in the house or property). Registration was quick and easy and all is well.

Now, as Avedis53 pointed out, he doesn't think that for Initial Activation/Registration, the Primary phone number doesn't have to be the phone number of the account holder with the same billing address as the location of the MicroCell, and the owner of the MicroCell (resistered to). That may very well be true now, and has been changed since I first registered my MicroCell but I don't know for sure. I do know that once Initial Activation/Registration has taken place, you can move the MicroCell to a different location (address) and once the new location is confirmed, you can use the MicroCell as long as the basic account information hasn't changed (primary cell phone number and sn of the MicroCell). If you are an Approved User (non-primary cellular number), you should still be able to use the MicroCell in your loaction or at another location. I think the key here is the Initial Activation/Registration process.

Adding multiple MicroCell's (different sn's) may be problematic because you would have different sn's associated with one account and at possible different physical locations.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 9, 2013
(0)
Guru

You said that you talked to AT&T about your problem?  What did they say about multiple Mcells associated with a single phone number?