What is happening with 3G?
bidwales's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Sunday, May 4th, 2014 3:24 PM

MicroCell - Activation not permitted with GoPhone or Data only subscription

I live in an area where i get one bar on AT&T

I have a pre-paid GoPhone account and I pay AT&T $55 a month for this phone with about 1GB of data, more than sufficient for my needs.

I have a data only post-paid account for my iPad for which I pay  $30 a month.

My wife has a Federal Gov AT&T phone.

I bought a MicroCell to improve our phone reception at home and attempted activation:

1. System wont register to a data only account (iPad)

2. System wont register to a GoPhone account

3. Since my wifes phone is her employers we have no account access so cant register on that account.

AT&T Technical support said they cant help!!!

AT&T - Are you really so inefficient that you cant find a work around for us? Is our money not good enough for you? Don't you care?

Anyone - can you suggest a fix - I have 14 days before I must return MicroCell and if I do that I'll switch my accounts to Verizon and be done with it.

My father-in-law has AT&T but his address is in Texas we live in SF - could this provide a fix? although I suspect the GPS issue will then come into play? 

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

10 years ago

In order to activate a Mcell, you need to have a post-paid AT&T cellphone account.  Your prepaid GoPhone does not qualify you nor does a data-only iPad account.  You've already stated why your wife's cellphone won't qualify you for a Mcell.  No, AT&T isn't going to make an exception for you.

Technically, if your father-in-law doesn't have his own Mcell and has a post-paid AT&T cellphone account, his cellphone number could be listed as the primary phone number with your phones on the approved user's list when registering your Mcell.  Your address could be registered as the Mcell's location instead of your father-in-law's address.  This would satisfy the GPS/matching address issue. This is assuming that you reside in a AT&T Mcell coverage area.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

10 years ago

Avedis53 is absolutely correct. It's been a while since I've been in an AT&T store (I'm assuming that's where the OP purchased it) but I think the requirements for using a MicroCell are listed or should be with the instructions that come with it.

To repeat, to "own" a MicroCell and register it, the owner has to have a post paid cell phone account. The primary cell phone number on the activation page has to be the owner of the account with the address matching the cell phone account information for initial activation.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

10 years ago

To further clarify, the address information entered as part of the registration process doesn't have to be the physical home address of the primary cellphone (account holder) number.  It can be an address of one of the approved users that are listed during the activation process.  The important thing is that the address has to match the GPS location of the Mcell.  AT&T allows this so a Mcell owner can take his Mcell to another AT&T authorized Mcell location and use it there if they change the address on the activation page (ie. a vacation home).

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

The reasons to leave ATT just keep adding up. I've been post paid with ATT for over 15 years and it feels like ATT couldn't care less about us. Especially when data prans are better even the gophone, or chicket. Not even allowing the micro cell on gophone that almost never works right anyhow is the last straw for me. There are many other carriours that use WIFI calling. I'm tired of over paying for a lot of ATT B$ drama. Sure the reps are friendly to talk to, but the plans offerings really stink.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

8 years ago

Thank you for the useful and informative post. I'm sure it helped a lot of people.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

8 years ago

FYI, AT&T provides WiFi Calling also for iPhone 6, 6+, 6s and 6s+.

It was difficult between the misspellings and poor grammar to really understand what you are trying to say.  More importantly, why are you posting on the Mcell forum?  Do you have a Mcell?  Does it work or not?

If you've had a post-paid account for many years, why come here and complain about prepaid GoPhones?  Do you realize that GoPhones can be authorized to use on any Mcell if the primary post paid account holder adds the GoPhone to the Mcell's Authorized User List?  A prepaid GoPhone can't be used to activate a Mcell however.   

We are users just like you, not AT&T employees, so we could care less whether you stay with AT&T or go.  If you have a problem with your Mcell, provide more information here and we'll try to help.  If you are here just to complain, I'd recommend you post elsewhere besides here on the Mcell forum. 

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

8 years ago

Interesting discussion. Having been av multiple line AT&T business customer for over a decade, I switched to a go-phone in retirement. Living on an island in washington state required a micro-cell, which I purchased while on a post-paid plan. When we switched to a pre-paid account, the micro-cell was still active for over a year. Unfortunately, for a 1 month period I switched from the $60 plan to a $45 plan and it 'triggered' something within the system, telling it that I was no longer a post-paid customer, and it stopped working.

Calls to everyone up to the area manager fell on deaf ears. No one seems to grasp the concept that, if it was operating on  our pre-paid system for a year, that someone might be able to 'push the proverbial button' and re-establish the micro-cell service. It's a mystery to all of them. It's like the system is in control and a human can't do anything about it. I'll bet, however, that if I was a high-level AT&T executive with the same issue...they would miraculously find a cure. Sadly, I'm not. For those of you looking for  a solution to this issue...there is none. It is what it is. It's business, and in business prior loyalty and history with the company means little. 

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

Can't use Microcell on prepaid. There is no solution. There isn't a way to change this. It only works with postpaid account.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

8 years ago

One of the "benefits" of a post-paid account is the option to use a MicroCell. That is not offered to pre-paid account holders. You can add a pre-paid account to the Approved Users List but the MicroCell can only be registered and activated by a post-paid account holder. AT&T, like most other mega-corporations move slowly so when you changed your plan again, the post-paid requirement "caught" up to you. It sucks, but that's the way it is.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I am having a Similar issue. So, with a go phone what can you do to boost the signal or get better reception? My husband and I just moved to the country and have service only outside our house. What can we do to get better reception with out switching carriers?
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.