What is happening with 3G?
rcorn1's profile

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Thursday, August 29th, 2013 11:24 PM

Micro Cell fails to activate

I have an interesting issue with the microcell. ATT has not been much help. I have the cell connected to my network and my network device config is as correct as I know to make it. Activation fails, just sits with the singal bars light flashing. So I use network packet analyzer and watch as I restart the cell. After GPS lock, the cell tries to contact 12.230.209.3 on port 443. This I expected as it was indicated as an early step in the process by some posts I read. However, the attempt to connect to this IP address times out. There is no reply from 12.230.209.3. The cell will retry this address and 12.230.209.67, which is apparently shutdown as I get an ICMP for that indicating it is blocked on purpose. A tracert of 12.230.209.3 shows the route going into series of att servers and finally to 12.122.138.245 and then the tracert times out.

Now it seems if this connection is not made, activiation cannot proceed. ATT ignores this and runs me through all kinds of other stuff before telling me my connection speed is too low and that is why it fails. Really?

ATT did confirm that 12.230.209.3 is the correct IP but thats about all I got out of them.

Any ideas on why I am not getting any further than the failed connect to 12.230.209.3:443?

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

11 years ago

A further correction...when trying to contact 12.230.209.3:443, there is no reply at all. When contacting 12.230.209.67:443, there is an ICMP reply stating the address is administratively denied. Thats not the exact text but it will take another hour for retry on that addr so will get the exact text and source of the ICMP tomorrow.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

11 years ago

I wouldn't worry too much about the addies you're connecting to, or trying to connect to. It's interesting to see what the communication is but it's not going to help you much. Most people don't have the ability to do what you can do so we have to work from that premise to keep the help as universal as possible. For your home, how do you have the MicroCell setup?

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

I am seeing the same exact simptoms. I see traffic leaving my fw/router destined to two netblocks of ATT (12.230.208.0/24, 12.230.209.0/24). I am not see any traffic coming back to the device. Are these network block even valid for Microcells anymore?

Any help would be greatful. I only get 1-2 bars inside my house. 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

Like I said before I see the packets leave my network just nothing comes back. I also noticed that the 443 connection require a cert to connect. It would be amusing if they issued new certs for heartbleed and not able to update microcells that are trying to connect. 

This is very frustrating. Having this device outside my network is unacceptable and see nothing blocking outbound initiated traffic. Creating rules from untrust(internet) to the device to me is silly as the only ports open on the device are 22,80, and 8080. Which all are filtered. 

Sigh. 

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

I'm out of town with limited access but like I said, the MicroCell is a dumb device in that the four ports and the other router conflicts listed in my Guide must be met. Any other alteration or addresses used will probably not work. The MicroCell needs to create its own secure VPN to the AT&T mobility servers and with as simple of a connection as possible. Either directly to the modem or router. If the 3G light is blinking green, then connection has not been made which could be due to one of the mandatory conditions not being met, line quality conditions, etc.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.