Posted Nov 4, 2012
12:12:05 PM
Is the MicroCell Service Down?

Around mid-morning on November 1, my MicroCell went offline and has not been able to connect since. Everything else on my network is behaving normally and I've had no interruption in my Internet service. So, I was wondering if someone might know if there's a problem with the service in general? Perhaps something weather-related? If not, is there a way I can verify that my device is ironies not malfunctioning?

Thanks!

Charlie

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Dec 7, 2012 12:10:38 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by OttoPylot on Dec 7, 2012 at 12:16:38 PM

@joelsplace:

Here's the link to the MicroCell Troubleshooing Guide. It may help:

http://www.wireless.att.com/media/en_US/swf/3Gmicrocell/ATT3GMicroCell-Troubleshooting.pdf

To answer some of your questions, the blinking red 3G light means that there is a hardware failure. Either due to a real failure or, more likely, it was an update by AT&T and when the MicroCell tried to reset itself, the reset failed so the MicroCell "thinks" it's a hardware failure. A hard reset (using the reset button on the back, held down for 30 seconds) sometimes will clear the problem. A blinking green 3G light can have multiple causes. If the internet light is green and solid, you have internet connection which means the MicroCell has been assigned an IP address. Four main lights, Power, Internet, GPS, and 3G all have to be solid green.

Yes, a router is a switch in a sense. But if  you have a another ethernet switch between the router and the MicroCell (to make more ethernet ports available to your LAN) you may encounter problems. The MicroCell is really finicky and doesn't like anything between it and the internet. Security issues? I don't know. You can try priorty setup which is used mainly for troubleshooting but some folks find that works best for them. Priority is: modem  -> MicroCell -> router. That basically takes the router out of the chain and connects the MicroCell directly to the internet. The modem has to be in bridge mode either way so that all it does is pass traffic. All of the routing and firewalling needs to be handled by the router. You may even had to do port forwarding to a static assigned IP address for the MicroCell based on its MAC address. That's what I do with my Apple Extreme Base Station.

The MicroCell is a totally closed system with no access at all except by AT&T. As a side note, if you try to take the MicroCell apart, there are activation clips inside and if one comes loose, it will pernamently disable the MicroCell. I've seen reports where a cat knocked over the MicroCell onto a hard floor loosening one of the clips and bricking the MicroCell. If it rattles, it probably won't work.

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
152 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(152)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2013 1:57:07 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by OttoPylot on Jan 22, 2013 at 2:01:45 PM

Wolfmansnake wrote:
FYI same problem now appearing in Raleigh/Durham area of NC. Jamileh can you help?
Michael Blankenship
919-906-0110
7127 Eliza Lane
Mebane, NC 27302

Do you have U-Verse? Apparently there is a major outage in the southern states and that may be affecting you. It's also not a good idea to post any personal information here. I can't remove your personal info so hopefully one of the mods will. For future reference, you can send personal information and any MicroCell problems by pm'ing ATTCustomerCare using the blue envelope in the upper right corner of this page.

Update: the U-Verse outage is affecting Louisiana, Kentucky, Texas, Georgia, Tennessee, Florida, and Arkansas so far and may be spotty in other states. If you don't have U-Verse, then let us know what your setup is, the light pattern on the MicroCell, is this brand new or did it just fail after working for a while, etc.

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Is the MicroCell Service Down?

[ Edited ]
151 of 153 (744 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2013 2:02:52 PM
(0)
Contributor
Sorry about personal info, my bad. Btw I don't have a blue envelope in upper right corner?! Anyway, I resolved the problem. Someone, don't think it was me but hey, could have been, switched Ethernet cable and I didn't have connection there and that was problem. Also seems cable was actually bad too! Never would have suspected the cable. Good reason not to jump to conclusions. My fault. Sorry AT&T !! I apologize!

152 of 153 (735 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2013 2:38:44 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

If you don't have the blue envelope in the upper right corner it may be due to the limitations of Safari on the iPhone. I too have an iPhone but have never noticed the blue envelope missing because I use my desktop to post and never need to pm ATTCustomerCare.

No need to apologize. Sometimes it's the simplest solutions that we overlook. I should have mentioned to check the cable but I assumed you already had. At least  you're up and running and if you develop any other issues, you know where to come.

153 of 153 (723 Views)