Posted Nov 4, 2012
12:12:05 PM
Is the MicroCell Service Down?

Around mid-morning on November 1, my MicroCell went offline and has not been able to connect since. Everything else on my network is behaving normally and I've had no interruption in my Internet service. So, I was wondering if someone might know if there's a problem with the service in general? Perhaps something weather-related? If not, is there a way I can verify that my device is ironies not malfunctioning?

Thanks!

Charlie

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Solved
Dec 7, 2012 12:10:38 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

@joelsplace:

Here's the link to the MicroCell Troubleshooing Guide. It may help:

http://www.wireless.att.com/media/en_US/swf/3Gmicrocell/ATT3GMicroCell-Troubleshooting.pdf

To answer some of your questions, the blinking red 3G light means that there is a hardware failure. Either due to a real failure or, more likely, it was an update by AT&T and when the MicroCell tried to reset itself, the reset failed so the MicroCell "thinks" it's a hardware failure. A hard reset (using the reset button on the back, held down for 30 seconds) sometimes will clear the problem. A blinking green 3G light can have multiple causes. If the internet light is green and solid, you have internet connection which means the MicroCell has been assigned an IP address. Four main lights, Power, Internet, GPS, and 3G all have to be solid green.

Yes, a router is a switch in a sense. But if  you have a another ethernet switch between the router and the MicroCell (to make more ethernet ports available to your LAN) you may encounter problems. The MicroCell is really finicky and doesn't like anything between it and the internet. Security issues? I don't know. You can try priorty setup which is used mainly for troubleshooting but some folks find that works best for them. Priority is: modem  -> MicroCell -> router. That basically takes the router out of the chain and connects the MicroCell directly to the internet. The modem has to be in bridge mode either way so that all it does is pass traffic. All of the routing and firewalling needs to be handled by the router. You may even had to do port forwarding to a static assigned IP address for the MicroCell based on its MAC address. That's what I do with my Apple Extreme Base Station.

The MicroCell is a totally closed system with no access at all except by AT&T. As a side note, if you try to take the MicroCell apart, there are activation clips inside and if one comes loose, it will pernamently disable the MicroCell. I've seen reports where a cat knocked over the MicroCell onto a hard floor loosening one of the clips and bricking the MicroCell. If it rattles, it probably won't work.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
152 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(152)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 1, 2012 3:04:06 PM
(0)
Voyager

The 3G light has been flashing green almost 24 hours now. I have tried unplugging/recycling microcell but still have no microcell service. I don't know what number to call to inquire about status of a tower.

Re: Is the MicroCell Service Down? December 1, 2012

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 1, 2012 3:18:12 PM
(0)
Voyager

I have had flashing 3G lights almost 24 hours now and am frustrated. It has worked perfectly for 2 years. I have recycled numerous times to no avail.

Re: Is the MicroCell Service Down?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 1, 2012 3:56:59 PM
(0)
Tutor
I am in Houston.. Same problem here. It worked fine untill this morning. Move the Microcell next to my window. GPS and 3G lights are still flashing green.. Hope they fix it soon.

Thanks for the info!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 1, 2012 4:18:34 PM
(0)
Explorer

I live in the Houston, Tx area.  I just called AT&T and they have confirmed that there is definitely a microcell outage in the Houston, Texas area.  There is no estimated time for AT&T to repair the problem, but "The problem does not lie in your set!"  Not much we can do except wait till the "flashing green" 3G light goes to solid green on its own. 

At least we know that there is not reason to make hardware changes to your microcell systems.  The problem is at the source end.

Hope this helps. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 1, 2012 4:20:11 PM
(0)
Tutor

I know several people in the East Texas area experiencing the same issues as described. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 1, 2012 4:23:47 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

AnClar wrote:

Just tried another experiment...I moved the MCell to a window with a clear view of the sky...device would still not get a GPS lock after an hour.  I checked on the MCell management page, and my device is still listed as activated.  I'd sure give a lot to know what the heck is going on.

Just for the record, the proper location for a MicroCell is within 18" of a window with an unobstructed view of the sky. I believe that's mentioned in the instructions. Also, keep it about 2' away from a WiFi source (i.e. wireless router). You can place the MicroCell away from a window if you connect an external GPS antenna to it. The MicroCell needs to have continous GPS lock (access to the sky) to work properly.

Ok. It does sound like it's an AT&T issue because of the flashing green 3G light. If you haven't moved the MicroCell away from a window (which you should never do once GPS lock is achieved) then you'll just have to ride it out, which sucks. GPS lock is not only critical for tower communication (frequency setting, etc), it's also necessary to confirm GPS coordinates for AT&T tower location (confirmation), E911, etc.

3G MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 1, 2012 5:08:06 PM
(0)
Scholar

Only reason I mentioned this is because the location I've always had it in, on a table near my computer, has worked just fine for over a year now.  I've never had a problem with getting GPS lock from that location until today.  Just wanted to see if anything related to GPS might be causing a problem.  From what I'm seeing here, seems that AT&T has acknowledged a problem with MCell service in Texas.  All I can do now is to wait until they get it resolved and see if that fixes the GPS lock issue as well.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 1, 2012 5:32:32 PM
(0)
Contributor

I'm experiencing the same issues in San Antonio.  First 3 lights on solid, the 3g light (the light with the bars) is flashing.  

Started about 10pm last night.  Powercycled microcell, modem & router.  ISP is uverse.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 1, 2012 5:47:41 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

AnClar wrote:

Only reason I mentioned this is because the location I've always had it in, on a table near my computer, has worked just fine for over a year now.  I've never had a problem with getting GPS lock from that location until today.  Just wanted to see if anything related to GPS might be causing a problem.  From what I'm seeing here, seems that AT&T has acknowledged a problem with MCell service in Texas.  All I can do now is to wait until they get it resolved and see if that fixes the GPS lock issue as well.

Well just hang in there and hopefully it won't take too long to get resolved. I did send a pm to CustomerCare about the lack of information but it appears that they are starting to acknowledge the outage.

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 1, 2012 5:56:27 PM
(0)
Explorer

I made a quick call to AT&T customer care at 1-800-331-0500 and they quickly acknowledged the outage covering several areas across Texas.  Very helpful folks!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 1, 2012 5:58:33 PM
(0)
Contributor
Thanks - if it wasn't for the community we would still be trying all those "troubleshooting" tips - it's hard in the rural areas when you depend on that tower. Thanks again moleman.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 1, 2012 8:15:19 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Support does seem to be getting more responsive once THEY are notified by the system engineers that there is a problem. Let's hope that this trend continues.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 1, 2012 8:41:03 PM
(0)
Tutor

I  am in arkansas and my mcell is down also, never had a problem with and all of sudden this morning went to make a call and had no bars, tried recycling and all nothing, all lights are green but the bars are flashing green. Maybe they will fix this soon.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 1, 2012 9:19:04 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Report it to Customer Care at the number that moleman_42 posted above. If there aren't any complaints, then AT&T might not be aware of an outage in your area.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 1, 2012 10:58:47 PM
(0)
Tutor

I just noticed my M-Cell is back online and my phones are connected! -East Texas

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 1, 2012 11:00:03 PM
(0)
Contributor

back online here in San Antonio

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 1, 2012 11:10:45 PM
(0)
Contributor

Back on here in Houston.  I had been worrying.  I just had ATT replace my MicroCell because it had been messing up for months.  Hopefully all is well now.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 2, 2012 8:00:36 AM
(0)
Scholar

Got up this morning and I'm back online as well.  AT&T still has a ways to go, IMO, regarding customer-facing communications...ironic for a communications company, isn't it...but that said, they did acknowledge relatively quickly that there was an outage, and they were quick to address it.  It's a start and hopefully it will become a trend.

Also, not to underestimate the power of this community, not only did it save a lot of people a lot of potentially wasted time, but it also may have motivated AT&T to address the issue more quickly than they might have otherwise.  More good stuff.

And an interesting side note to all of this, many affected people were reporting three green lights and only the 3G light flashing.  I had the GPS light flashing as well so it appears as though MCell outages can also hose the ability of the MCells to acquire a GPS lock.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 2, 2012 8:38:25 AM
(0)
Tutor

Back up here in Montgomery Co. in Texas. You are correct in your post AnClar about the posts in the ATT forum about our MicroCells being down. We would have been trying fixes till it just came back up and would have thought it was something we did.

Later

jd

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 2, 2012 10:24:35 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

You are correct about the beauty of this forum. More times than not, outages are reported here first before support is notfied, and all that one can do is go thru the liany of fixes, which is time consuming and frustrating until more information is presented. Customer support rarely monitors this forum as often as we do, so it's really important for someone to call support, and if there is an acknowledgement of an outage, report back here to save others from unnecessary troubleshooting. Keep in mind that this was a major outage so AT&T was more inclined to notify support relatively quickly.  For smaller, more localized outages we may not be so lucky. FWIW, I emailed my support contact over a week ago commenting on the myriad of problems and faux-fixes that support was having folks do (even suggesting that they buy a new MicroCell!). I strongly suggested that there should be better communication with the system engineers and the  1st/2nd level tiers of customer support. I'm trying to get some sort of system status update added to this page but that's a long shot. I will keep pushing though.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 2, 2012 10:41:13 AM
(0)
Tutor

It would be so easy.. AT&T has the phone numbers that are registered to the Microcells. They can just send a text message which says that there is a problem and that they are going to solve it. 

BTW, my microcell is also working again...

Thx dudes! ;-)

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 2, 2012 11:12:52 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

blupblup wrote:

It would be so easy.. AT&T has the phone numbers that are registered to the Microcells. They can just send a text message which says that there is a problem and that they are going to solve it. 

BTW, my microcell is also working again...

Thx dudes! ;-)

One would think but that's not going to happen :smileysad: Maybe a Status page?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 2, 2012 11:22:14 AM
(0)
Explorer

Also, if your only cell service is your MicroCell, you won't be able to receive text messages when it's down. We're very lucky that many of the people we send text messages to can use Apple's iMessage service so, even though our MicroCell is still non-functional after an entire month, with no apparent progress being made to track down the problem, we can at least send text messages.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 2, 2012 2:04:16 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

CharlieSchorner wrote:

Also, if your only cell service is your MicroCell, you won't be able to receive text messages when it's down. We're very lucky that many of the people we send text messages to can use Apple's iMessage service so, even though our MicroCell is still non-functional after an entire month, with no apparent progress being made to track down the problem, we can at least send text messages.

Absolutely! iMessage has been very useful for situations like this. If you read my iPhone 5 and MicroCell Speed post, having a solid, reliable WiFi sees to mitigate some of the MicroCell issues if cell connectivity becomes erratic and your phone supports that.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 2, 2012 9:13:48 PM
(0)
Tutor

Mine still isn't working and I just got off the phone with AT&T.  They told me 3 states are having issues.  Texas, Arkansas and one other.  They said give it until Tuesday and if it isn't working call back.  I wasted an hour this morning on 2 different calls and no one told me there was an issue.  They told me some still work but they are dropping off randomly and then can't register.  I have one working and one not (3G light flashing).  I had to delete and re-register the now working one to get it back up.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 2, 2012 9:38:38 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

I think the other state is, or was, Pennsylvania. Some of the reports early last week were from that area with similar issues.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 2, 2012 9:48:21 PM
(0)
Explorer

There are many of us in Washington, but I think whoever's looking into our situation is taking an extended holiday. Someone should hook them up with the folks from Texas who seemed to jump right on the situation, debug it and get their customers back up and running. Perhaps now that the outages are getting more widespread an actual network tech will be assigned to do some real investigating.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 3, 2012 8:32:41 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

I'll send an email now and see if I can find out anything :smileyfrustrated:

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 3, 2012 8:41:07 AM
(0)
Explorer

An interesting new development. Shortly after I got an email alerting me to your post, I got a text message and an email announcing that my MicroCell has been successfully activated. I had done a hard reset, de-activated and re-activated a couple of days ago and it's been sitting there flashing green ever since. It'll be interesting to see if it's still working when I get home this evening!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 3, 2012 9:30:11 AM
(0)
Tutor

Mine is still down in Keller, TX (DFW area)