What is happening with 3G?
hdang24's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, July 10th, 2013 8:50 AM

Is 3G Micro Cell is still free?

We have been custormer with AT&T for a long time. Last year we moved into a new apartment complex and due to its location we experience horrible signal inside our house. Not just getting tire of stepping out side to make a call but what worst is that we have been missing a lot of phone calls from other people. I heard that AT&T gave out this unit one time in the past but are they still giving it to their loyal customers anymore?

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

10 years ago

At least you're protected from any EMP blast nearby......

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

I've also got this really cool tin hat that I wear around the house as well. It really seems to improve the reception.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

10 years ago

Figured you for a survivalist.....

Former Employee

• 

52 Messages

10 years ago

As far as free Microcells go, you'd be better off spending your time just paying for the device than spending your time with customer service on trying to get a free one.  The free microcell promotion ended some years ago.  Unless you have been targeted for a for a special promotion or was sent something in the mail then you'll have to pay like everyone else.  You may be eligible for a discount of $50 making the cost 150 instead of 200.  Call customer service to see if you qualify for that.  Trust me the device is well worth the 150 or 200 you pay for it considering it boosts your signal to full for multiple devices within 5000 sq foot radius 🙂

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

It never hurts to try and plead your case instead of just paying up. A discount or possibly even free is worth the effort.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

I just spoke to online tech support and they are sending me a free microcell.  they said my line luckily qualified for a free one.  they did not mention what the qualification criteria was, but I'm thrilled nonetheless.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

9 years ago

I was able to convince AT&T to give me a free Mcell after complaining about poor cell tower coverage in my area two years ago.  That isn't the norm as most people purchase new or used Mcells at a variety of prices.

The Mcell needs a DSL or cable internet connection with a minimum bandwidth of 3 Mbps down/512 Mbps up.  Wireless or satellite internet is not supported.  You will need to connect the Mcell to a modem or router via Ethernet cable and locate it where it has a clear view of the sky so it can establish a GPS lock.  Then you will need to go online at AT&T's Microcell website to activate your Mcell.

If you need help, post up!

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

9 years ago

Congratulation Stephanie532! As Avedis said, if you have any questions or issues let us know.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

I just spoke to AT&T customer service at length on the phone. The representative told me directly that at this time no AT&T customer, regardless of circumstance, qualifies for a free microcell. She also relayed that there is no possible way I can be provided with one unless I pay for it.

Unfortunately that specifically contradicts the reports in this forum. I believe the users who received account credits, or who's 'lines qualified' for a free microcell. I did report this to the customer service representative who only stated in the past there were promotions but that now none exist.

I find it surprising and disappointing that the customer service representative would tell me this. I pointed out that the previous owners had received one free of charge and she admitted only that 'years ago there may have been promotions' but that no such promotions or possibilities of a free microcell exist any longer.

I live in the center of a decently sized town and Verizon has good coverage in my new neighborhood. Based on the inconsistent, possibly dishonest treatment from AT&T and its customer service I plan to switch providers.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

9 years ago

There were instances of free Mcells being given to customers due to promotions and unique circumstances in the distant past but that has changed.  I received a free Mcell back in 2012 because of poor celltower reception in my remote area.  I fail to see how a discontinued promotion from years ago translates to dishonesty, much less inconsistency. 

AT&T is free to do whatever they want with regards to promotions.  Currently they do not give away Mcells.  If that upsets you enough to switch providers, then you can certainly exercise your right to change.  Don't expect Verizon to give you a free Range Extender.  I don't  think they give away their femtocells either.

One thought though, you might try contacting AT&T's Customer Retention Department and plead your case to them before departing.  You may be able to talk them into a Mcell but don't hold your breath. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.