Posted Oct 14, 2013
Galaxy Note 3 Users

I just sent a message to the Admins about the connection issues. However, if all of you who are having Note 3 issues will send a PM to CustomerCare (link in my sig), that will certainly give weight to the issue and might get the engineers in gear. Phone support creates a ticket and sends it up the chain but CustomerCare is a more direct line further up. Just include your issue in detail, account info and location.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
173 replies
(10) Me too
(10) Me too
Replies
(173)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 21, 2013
(0)

Now ATT says there is a issue with the Microcell not activating so wouldn't try reactivating it because ours is now dead with no ETA on a fix for any of the issues

Re: Galaxy Note 3 Users

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 21, 2013
(0)

Where are you located? Apparently there is a MicroCell Service Area outage that has cascaded across a couple of different areas. Nothing confirmed but it has affected non-Note 3 users as well. The Note 3 problem started a week or so ago so unless you've just purchased your Note 3, Activating is not advised because of the outage.

AT&T's 3G MicroCell Guide | 3G MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 21, 2013
(0)

According to ATT as long as you are connected you are fine if you are trying to connect or change phone numbers it isn't working. I am in Kentucky but they said this is for everyone on microcell. As long as it was working it still is if you try to make any changes it is gone

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 21, 2013
(0)

I've been using my MicroCell at home tonight and have not had any issues whatsoever. In fact, leaving my home and then coming back was a seamless transition between macrocell (tower) and MicroCell. I think the issue has been complicated by a couple of factors. An apparent outage in some areas, a possible update (not confirmed) for the Note 3 which may, or may not have messed with Note 2's, and now the registration/activation system is wonky, probably because of the possible outage.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 21, 2013
(0)
I've had no microcell issues today and my Note 3 is still successfully connecting since the SIM change. 3 days and still going strong! I have not seen any updates for the Note 3 o_0

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 21, 2013
(0)

So the SIM change worked for you. That's great! It's really difficult to troubleshoot all of this because some have reported that the SIM swap didn't work. And with possible area outages, the registration/activation page supposedly having issues, I'm getting brain-achy. Thanks for keeping us posted.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 22, 2013
(0)

I have the same issues with the Note 3 and MicroCell.  I purchased my Note 3 on the 10th and connected to my office MicroCell the next day fine.  I also purchased a MicroCell for my home on the 14th and the Note 3 also connected to that.  On the 15th my phone would not connect to either of them, IPhones and Samsung Active work fine (both Micro's are brand new).  Last night I decided to reset, deactivate and reactivate my home unit…it was taking hours but in the morning, I had a MicroCell connection to the Note 3.  I’m not sure I want to try that again on the office unit (still no connection here). I also sent a PM to AT&T last week.  Still waiting for news... 

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 22, 2013
(0)

If an update/fix has been pushed by AT&T, not all areas may come back online at the same time so be patient. I'm still trying to get somthing official from AT&T so we have some sort of explanation.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 22, 2013
(0)

All,

I received a call today from AT&T on my case and was informed that AT&T has pushed out an updated to the Microcell that should fix the Note 3 / Microcell connectivity issue.  I did get a message about 1:59 a.m. CST this morning stating my Microcell activation had failed.  But when I looked at my Microcell around 7 a.m., everything was green and my phone was connected.  Hopefully I got the update this early AM.

Hope this helps and you have gotten the update. I am now on day 4 since my new SIM change and have not had any issues since, thus far.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 22, 2013
(0)

Thanks for the feedback. Hopefully more Note 3 users will start to get the update and this will be behind us.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 22, 2013
(0)

I too purchased a Note 3 (last night) and cannot get it to connect to my AT&T 3G M-Cell.  I power cycled the M-Cell, tried to re-connect the Note 3 to no avail. I checked and I do have the "blue" SIM card, verified that with my local AT&T retail store.  Dont know what else to try here.  My other phones (iPhone 5, 4S, Galaxy 4) all are connected to the M-Cell and work fine.  I called AT&T tech support, they worked it a bit then sent me over to Samsung.  Samsung in turn escalated me to level 2 tech support then claimed it is an AT&T M-Cell firmware issue causing incompatability with the new Android 4.3  This is somewhat frustrating and I feel as a customer who pays over $3K/year for services I need to get to a permanent solution quickly here.  Ping pong between vendors on interoperability issues with my service is not acceptable.  Seems to me testing compatability or at least user experience on M-Cell with Android 4.3 could have produced these issues pre-sale on the Note 3.  Rollouts and sales being more important that customer experience is the new norm.  Hurry up and wait for a solution is not acceptable, unless charges to my account for service I am not getting also get suspended until this is resolved.  Please update any new info that supports a definitive solution, very willing to keep trying here.  Thanks all.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 22, 2013
(0)

The AT&T MicroCell firmware may have been a factor but Samsung should have known in advance what the requirements were for the AT&T MicroCell network. However, I do agree that adequate testing was not done beforehand by both parties. Updates to the MicroCell are supposedly being pushed out so it may take a while before they reach you because they are not avaible system-wide immediately for everyone affected. I will copy and paste your entire message and send it to the Admins.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 22, 2013
(0)

That is encouraging.  Hopefully within a few days this will be resolved.  Thank you for running this to ground, it is helpful to know what is happening.  M-Cell has been a rock solide solution for us.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 22, 2013
(0)

tdaniels303

Try deregister the MC on AT&T website. That worked for me as I had exactly the same problem as you. 3 phones connected w/o problems and the Note would not. Here are the steps I did:

1. Turn off Note

2. De-register MC on AT&T website and log off

3. Reset the MC with the reset button in back of the MC

4. Register the MC on AT&T website

5. Wait till the registration and update finish

6. Turn on Note

That worked for me and no problems since.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 22, 2013
(0)
tdaniels303,

Go to the store and ask for one of the gray ISIS SIM cards. See if that helps

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 22, 2013
(0)

Thanks guys for the suggestions to get tdaniels303 up and running.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 22, 2013
(0)

Huzzah!  Success!  Here's what I did to finally get mine to connect to the microcell again.  No, I did NOT get a new SIM.  This is the same process others have reported success with, although it was a bit of a pain for me because in the middle of the process the AT&T web portal went down for users AND mobility reps so I couldn't get it re-registered at first.  But now all is well in my world.  Hope it works for others!

1. Login to the att site, and remove your microcell from your account. 
  2. Turn off the Note 3.
  3. Use the reset button on the back of the microcell to reset its settings
  4. After the lights come back off, unplug it and leave it off for now
  5. Go back to the att site, re-register the microcell.  Go through all the screens til it says it's done and will take up to 90 minutes to take effect.
  6. Plug in the microcell
  7. Wait for the registration to be successfull (takes a while)
  8. Turn on your Note 3
  9. Rejoyce.

I don't know whether or not ALL these steps are necessary, but it's what I did and it appears to have worked as it's connected now for the first time since I got it.  Let's hope it's permanent.  

As an AT&T employee, anything I say here is my own opinion.  I do not speak on behalf of AT&T.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 22, 2013
(0)
I have tried all the above as resently as today with No avail. I did get a call from ATT in reguards to the ticket I created looking for the MC serial number. I thought they had it in there systems?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 22, 2013
(0)

I did get my Note 3 yesterday even though I was worried about not being able to connect to Microcell. Without Microcell working on my phone I would have no service at all. I got home at 4:00 PM on 10/21/2013 and the phone would not connect. I tried restarting the phone and it still did not work.  I used the following steps and the phone has stayed connected even after I left home and came back.

After I got home it would not connect so I took these steps and it worked.

Shut my phone off.
Logged into ATT wireless and went to the microcell page.
Deleted my number and signed off, then signed back on again right away.
Added my number back and logged out.
Turned my phone on and it connected.

I know others have tried this and have had no luck but it worked for me.

The sim card is white, gray and orange, if you need a picture just let me know. I got the micro cell a month after they came out, not sure what year it was.

I hope others will get there's to work and if you need any other info from me just ask.

Mike

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 22, 2013
(0)

Mike - There is supposedly an update via the MicroCell that will correct the issue with the Note 3's. Doing what you did basically re-initilazed the MicroCell and your connection (see the Technical Guide for more info on Initialization). Samsung/Google worked with AT&T for a fix that seems to be working now.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 23, 2013
(0)

As one of the original individuals posting on this thread I'm happy to report that my Note 3 has been connected to the MicroCell since this weekend. My MicroCell was offline (blinking 3 light) for all of Saturday and most of Sunday despite many hard/soft resets and network reboots. I finally got fed up and disconnected then reconnected it to the AT&T network and that finally fixed the Note 3 connection problem. Of course one will never know if the MicroCell was offline this weekend due to the network outage that was co--occurring or an update (that fixed the note 3 issue) occurring. FYI AT&T customer service was good at following up on this issue, at least in my case. Also thanks Otto for pushing the issue and as a technical person I appreciate your guide. 

HOWEVER....since the fixing the Note 3 connection problem I have had very poor voice service through the MicroCell. Basically when you talk while connected to the MicroCell it sounds like when one has very poor tower reception, i.e. lots of popping and clipping...which is worse for the person on the other side of the call than myself. I have very high bandwidth/QOS on my FIOS service and successfully used the Sprint version of the MicroCell for the past 4 years without problem so I highly doubt this is a bandwidth issue....though I suppose it's possible Verizon is specifically bandwidth limiting the MicroCell. I have "full bars" and a very low (good) dBm value on my phone when this occurs and I have made sure to place the MicroCell far away from anything that might interfere with it (router, tv, etc).

Has anyone had the same experience and found a way to correct the issue? 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 23, 2013
(0)

Thanks. Typically speaking, when you have bad call quality as you describe, it usually has something to do with the ISP (latency, packet loss, RTP jitter, etc). This may be related to the supposed update to the Note 3 that was recently pushed. Hopefully, AT&T and Samsung/Goolge will continue to work on the connection issues and eventually get a better fix. Also, when the MicroCell is reset completely, which is what people are basically doing now to re-establish connection, the MicroCell will go thru the entire activation process (detecting any nearby towers, adjusting its transmission strength, looking for updates, creating hand off lists, etc) and so will the phone. The phone will adjust its transmission strength as well and not all phones do that equally well. The activation process is detailed in the Guide but it is a complicated process.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 23, 2013
(0)

Success!  Used the steps suggested, reset the M-cell this morning and connected the Note3.  Got a phone call on it within 10 min.  Thanks all, free knowledge is very powerful.  Thanks for sharing.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 23, 2013
(0)

Great! That's what we're here for, to help each other.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 23, 2013
(0)

@ Otto

Wouldn't it be nice if we were informed as to what the problem was with the Note 3 phones and what was done on their side to correct the problem.  Might help in future situations as far as diagnostic troubleshooting.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 23, 2013
(0)

The word that I received a while ago is no, AT&T will not publically announce what the problem was nor what they and Samsung/Google had to do to correct it. The same is true for the Nokia issues. Proprietary information is my guess.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 23, 2013
(0)

I did the same thing that haloguy did:

1. Turn off Note

2. De-register MC on AT&T website and log off

3. Reset the MC with the reset button in back of the MC

4. Register the MC on AT&T website

5. Wait till the registration and update finish

6. Turn on Note

My Note 3 connected and is working.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 23, 2013
(0)

This seems to be the "fix" for re-connecting to the MicroCell Service Area after the network outage and the un-related incompatibility issues with the new Note 3 after an apparent updated was pushed out by AT&T/Samsung-Google. What you are basically doing is setting up your MicroCell as if it was brand new but doing the additional step of a hard reset (which totally clears out the memory and settings).

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 23, 2013
(0)

My note finaly connected!  I think the key was hitting the reset button the back of the microcell.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 23, 2013
(0)

Use of the hard reset is covered in the Technical Guide. I will try to make it a little clearer when I update it to version 1.3.