What is happening with 3G?
jeffcarlin's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Monday, June 24th, 2013 4:39 PM

Ethernet Light Fast Flashing

We lost power last night and now the MCell is flashing the Ethernet light in a very fast manner. My iPhones will no longer connect to it. I have re-started and re-set the MCell to no avail. Anyone haver a guess?? Thanks.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

11 years ago

If the ethernet is flashing (green I assume) you have lost ethernet connectivity to your router. I would reboot the router and see what happens. If that doesn't correct the issue, try to connect another device to the same ethernet port on the router to check the port. It's possible that the power outage could have damaged the port. Without ethernet access, no internet access, and no functioning MicroCell.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

11 years ago

Ok. We have a solid green power, ethernet, and GPS light with only the 3G flashing green, correct? It may take the MicroCell awhile to re-activate itself so give it some time. If not, you can try a hard reset by holding in the reset button on the back of the MicroCell for 30 seconds. That may clear anything out of the ROM that got "stuck" when the power outage occurred and it couldn't re-establish an internet connection.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks very much for the quick reply. 

So, I have done as suggested with some improvement. The Ethernet light is now steady green, but the 3G is still slowly flashing green. Wifi is working correctly, as I have a number of devices that are accessing wifi with no problem. I have exchanged the ethernet cable, rebooted everything and tried a different ethernet port on the router. As you said, no functioning MCell. Any thoughts?

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

Man, are you good! About 3 minutes before you posted, my 3G light went solid green and my devices are connecting with MCell. Don't know which of your ideas worked, but the end result is perfect. Thanks very much.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

11 years ago

You're welcome. You might want to mark the post with a Kudo or Accepted Solution so the mods can keep track of this as I am not an AT&T employee, only a volunteer.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Same problem but this solution has not worked for me. Any advice?

I have been an ATT wireless user for 12 years. I have had in that time two or three problems with my mycrocell, but each time the issue has lasted  months and taken an inordinate amount of time on the phone with technical support. I recently had a short power outage at home (very very unusual) and again my microcell is not working. I am hoping that posting through the forum will be a different experience than before. Here is my issue:

The ethernet connection is flashing green and there is no service to our cellphones from it. Our phones get Internet, but not through the microcell.

I have:

- restarted the router,

- connected a new cable,

- checked that the port works with other devices,

- switched ports,

- checked that our other devices get the Internet wireless signal,

- pushed the restart button on the back of the microcell for 40 seconds,

- disconnected the microcell and connected it back again.

- Disconnected everything and connected it back again.

No use.The Ethernet light flashes green.

I feel I want to kick it but I don't think that would help either. Any suggestions?

Thanks

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

You've done most of what I would have suggested. It's possible that the brief power outage fried the ethernet port on the MicroCell, especially if you've connected other devices to the ethernet port on your router or modem to rule out that port.

Forgive me but I must ask, have you connected the ethernet cable to the yellow ethernet port on the MicroCell and not the Computer port?

Did you check the settings in your router to make sure that the power outage didn't mess them up and the router isn't detecting the MicroCell? If you have a separate router, can you connect the MicroCell via the alternate method, modem -> MicroCell directly bypassing the router altogether?

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

10 years ago

Was your Mcell plugged into a surge protector?  Power outages and the subsequent return of power can produce voltage sags and spikes that can damage unprotected electronics.  As Otto recommended, check out your router settings and see if the router sees your Mcell.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

10 years ago

Dang, I wish I could edit my posts.  Is that gone too Otto?

I didn't see the Ethernet light statement.  If you don't have that, I would try replacing the Ethernet wire between the router and the Mcell for the sake of completeness.

No Ethernet light means no connection to the router so the router won't see the Mcell.  I'm now leaning towards a fried Mcell.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

10 years ago

Ack!  Already replaced the cable.

Unless your Mcell's AC adapter has been damaged (unlikely, but possible), I'm suspecting that your Mcell has been fried.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.