What is happening with 3G?
raykinok's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Monday, August 25th, 2014 3:24 PM

DPH 153 Microcell No Longer Working after Phone/Number Change

Recently moved to a new state.  Changed all microcell settings online and microcell connected (altho my calls inside the house still were breaking up and dropping).

Then got new phones (Galaxy S5) and new phone numbers.  Changed all the associated online settings (devices/numbers) for microcell and also powered the new phones/numbers off/on near the tower.  Now microcell not connecting at all.

Model DPH153.

GPS and 3G light just flashing for days.

Rehooked up everything from cable modem to wireless router to cell tower several times... no luck, Ran online troubleshooting seps, waited over 24 hours (actually 3 days now).  Rehooked up power and etheret cables again... still flashing GPS and 3G.  The microcell sits on the window sill pointed right at downtown Tulsa OK (not what you would call a rural location!)

Called AT&T for help, but after being on hold for microcell tech support several minutes, call dropped (naturally!).

Using cox cable company modem box, a Netgear N600 dual band wireless router... but, this is all the same set up I had at my former home and with what was working when I first moved here before changing phones and phone numbers.

Just frustrating because I had to get the microcell for dropped calls at home and when it doesnt work either, I am at a loss.

Any advice is appreciated.

Ray

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

10 years ago

If the GPS light is flashing you don't have GPS lock. No GPS lock, no activation.

Is it the same ISP you had before?

I would do the alternate connection which is MicroCell to modem. That bypasses the router which would eliminate any config issues with the router. If that works, then you know it's not the MicroCell or the ISP.

Try a hard reset of the MicroCell. That will clear all of the memory and registers and put the unit back it it's default state so that it will have to go thru the Initial Activation process (see Tech Guide link in my sig for details). Turn off the power to the MicroCell. Get a paperclip and press in the reset button on the back of the unit. Restore power and keep holding in the button for about 30 seconds and then release it. It may take a while for the MicroCell to activate because it will update any firmware that may be needed for your area and restart itself a couple of times if an update was necessary.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

Thans, Otto - will give this a try and report back.

Only problem is that if I connect straight to the modem, then I am no where near a window.

Might try the hard reset and connecting to wireless first to see if that part will work.

No = different ISP provider.

More to come.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

10 years ago

The white and orange MicroCell's do have an external antenna input on the back so you could use a small external antenna for your GPS. Are you connecting to the router directly with an ethernet cable (no switches, PowerLine adapters, etc). The MicroCell doesn't rattle does it like it was juggled around during the move or got knocked over? You should be able to hear something if you CAREFULLY shake it.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

10 years ago

Something you might try is to temporarily move the Mcell outside (no rain of course) with a completely unobstructed view of the sky and power it up.  Obviously it won't activate since it won't be connected to the internet but regardless it should still give you a solid green light for GPS even with the Ethernet and 3G light flashing green.  If you can't get a GPS lock doing this, then I'd suspect that your Mcell's GPS circuitry has failed and you'll need to get another one.

If the Mcell does give you a solid green GPS light outside, then you'll know that the location inside your house that you had your Mcell at isn't getting a good view (or adequate signal strength) of the GPS satellites even though it's on a window sill.

I would then try purchasing an external antenna (for white and orange Mcell only) and moving the receiving head around to find an adequate GPS signal.  These antennas also have a higher gain than the internal antenna and may help your situation.

Another cheaper thing to try first would be to get a long Ethernet cable and move your Mcell around to other locations in your house to see if you can find a spot where the Mcell will get a GPS lock.  If you can find a location that works and don't want to have Ethernet cable strung around the house, then you could go with an external antenna from the Mcell to that location or use Powerline adapters or a repeater to move the Mcell to that location.

First thing to do though is to see if you can get a GPS lock outside where you know there are no obstructions or interference to receive GPS satellite transmissions.  The fact that you were originally able to activate the Mcell and now it doesn't work is troubling.  New phones wouldn't impact the Mcell in the manner you have described.  It is possible that your Mcell has failed. 

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks again, Otto.

My cable box does not have an extra port to plug an ethernet (ther than where I have the wireless router plugged in).  So when I plug into the wireless router, Icant get a satellite or 3G signal -- they only flash.

No ralltes when gently shaking... I moved in the original box with all the packing.

I also tried to plug it into a paired D-Link powerline network adapter... see more on that in my reply to Avedis below.

Ray

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks Advesis,

I did try using a D-Lin paired power adapter to bring the microcell over to the windowsill.  It actualy DID get a solid satellite signal there, but the 3G just kept on flashing... even when attempting to unplug/plug power and ether back into the wireless router.  So I am thinkig placing by the window is the best option... but there is still the 3G connection problem.

I connected it back to the wireless router trying again, but no luck with either the satellite or 3g connection there again.  (Also looked to see i I could plug into the cable box, but then would lose wireless, so have to wait until a time when everyone is out of the house and not linking thru on their devices to unplug the wireless router so I can plug the microcell directly into the cable box.

Other than the cable modem box, the wireless router is the same one I used at my old address, and in the same configuration (and the microcell there was on an inside wal, not a wndow).  The only difference is the new ISP and cable box.

Will look into an antenna, but hoping somehow the D-Link power link technique will work for me.  Will keep trying.

Ray

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

10 years ago

I could write a thesis on all the problems that can occur when using Powerline adapters.  My personal experience with them is bad since my house seems to have ground loop issues.  Appliance interference, cross-phase interference, cross-breaker interference, even GFCI interference are just a few of the issues that can crop up when using Powerline adapters. 

Granted, they can work but I'd keep them out of the equation until you can determine if the Mcell can activate.  I had better luck using a repeater in my house to connect my Mcell to my router.

All that being said, IMHO your next step is to place the Mcell where it can receive a GPS signal AND connect the Mcell directly to your modem by Ethernet cable and then see if you can activate your Mcell.  If you can then you know that you have a settings issue with your router.

What is the make and model number of your modem?  I also seem to recall someone else having issues using the Netgear N600 router with a Mcell.  That's why I think it's important to test the Mcell when it's connected directly to your modem.

Just so I understand, your modem and ISP are different than before you moved?  Since your Mcell worked before with the N600, it probably isn't the problem but it needs to be bypassed for testing purposes to isolate where the problem is.   I sort of suspect that if you can get a solid GPS signal that there is an issue with the modem settings or your Cox ISP has something going on.

Have you run a speed test and a VOIP test?  I would do so.

http://www.speedtest.net/

http://www.voipqualitytest.com/

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

10 years ago

If you write a thesis I will NOT call you Dr. Avedis! Smiley Tongue

You do need to be able to connect directly to your router (preferred) or directly to the modem (alternate) with an ethernet cable. As Dr. Avedis pointed out, Powerline Adapters can work (they are even mentioned in the setup docs for the MicroCell) but they can have all kinds of issues that can drive you crazy.

You could place your MicroCell outside again. Get a long ethernet cable and connect that directly to your router or modem. If you get GPS lock and can activate, you know that the MicroCell works and so does your ISP. It's a hassle for sure but it would answer some questions.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

10 years ago

Just don't call me late for dinner!

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

10 years ago

......you can call me Ray.......you can call me Jay........

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.