For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
What is happening with 3G?
BWill156's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, July 9th, 2014 5:21 PM

Can I use a non AT&T branded gsm phone on a 3G Microcell

I want to know if I can use a phone like a moto g, nexus 5 or moto e that is unlocked on my microcell. I would like to get one of these phones but I dont want to lose the signal strength of my microcell.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

10 years ago

If the phone is registered on the AT&T network with a post-paid mobile account, and hasn't been hacked, you should be able to use it.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

So all I would need to do is put my sim card in and it will work just like my current phone.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

10 years ago

Maybe. If your AT&T cellular account is active and the new phone has been registered with AT&T. Not only is you IMEI code necessary (which is usually on the SIM card) but the phone's IMSI code also has to be one that is recognized on AT&T's network. That's not a big deal unless the phone was purchased overseas or has been hacked to a point that the IMSI code is not recognized.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I had a "Rogers" unlocked HTC Android H+ that worked with my microcell. I think Roger's is a carrier from Canada.  Good luck!

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

10 years ago

We have two posters who both have HTC One phones that were puchased in Asia as unlocked. They both worked on the MicroCell until they went overseas and came back. Now they won't work on the MicroCell. No updates were applied to the phone and they were using their AT&T SIM cards so YMMV. The Rogers phone quite possibly was made for the North Amercian market so there shouldn't be any issues with the IMSI/IMEI coding. Asia is another matter. A lot of the incompatibilities are due to the mfr specifications and not necessarily AT&T.

Mentor

• 

56 Messages

7 years ago

My Nexus 5X and 6P both worked.....for a while.  Now they are both "blocked" by AT&T.  I also can't use

the next best thing......WiFi Calling due to the phone.  Gotta buy it from them, or more and more

features will be out of touch for us.

Guess my phone would "break" their network.

Chuck

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

7 years ago

@chuckgraham1949 - is this on the AT&T network in general or is it just connecting to the MicroCell? Who unlocked the phone, AT&T, you, or did you purchase it elsewhere unlocked? Depending on how the phone is unlocked it may work for awhile but a subsequent update may change it so that it is not recognized on the AT&T network anymore. Something may have changed the IMEI coding so that it is not recognized on the AT&T network. 

WiFi-C (WiFi Calling) is a feature of the phone, not necessarily AT&T. If your phone is capable of WiFi-C, and the SIM is updated for HD Voice, you should be able to use that feature.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.