Posted Jun 10, 2013
AIO Wireless

So... just wondering. Does anybody know if Aio Wireless is compatible with the Microcell, just as Straigth Talk is? 

I have a Gophone now. My spouse has an At&t postpaid plan. I am thinking about subscribing to Aio (which is actually also AT&T, right?), but only if it works with the Microcell..

Thanks!

AIO Wireless

14 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(14)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 10, 2013
(0)

The MicroCell will work for any 3G phone as long as it is registered to AT&T and that includes pre and post-paid plans. I'm not familiar with Aio Wireless so I'd have to look into that. It may use the AT&T network but if it's not an AT&T plan, I'm not sure.

Ok, I looked into AIO Wireless and it is a subsidiary of AT&T. It's their new no contract phone service starting in Orlando, FL as their first market area. No 4G/LTE but the prices for data etc. seems to be a direct answer to some of the other no contract plans being offered elsewhere. So, will it work with a MicroCell? It should, but even the MicroCell is somewhat of a mystery to AT&T. I would think if your billing came from AT&T then you'd be good to go. And apparently you can check to see if your current phone is compatible (iPhones are for example) so it may very well work.

AT&T's 3G MicroCell Guide | 3G MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: AIO Wireless

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 10, 2013
(0)

Thanks for your answer.. The billing is indeed coming from AT&T. 

I hope someone will try this and let me know for sure if it is compatible with the AT&T Microcell. 

BTW, Aio Wireless is also available in Houston, TX (where I live).

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 10, 2013
(0)

If AIO billing is from AT&T, and you get your phone or sign-up in an AT&T store then it should work. Nobody is going to tell you for sure because as I indicated, most of AT&T isn't even aware of the MicroCell or how it even works so you'll just have to venture into uncharted waters. This is a relatively brand new market so you never know. Setting up the MicroCell can be difficult at times (lots of "gotchas") but that's what we're here for :smileyhappy:

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 11, 2013
(0)

Ok, thanks. I might try it. I'm fed up with At&T's Gophone service..

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 11, 2013
(0)

I've contacted AT&T Support and asked them about the AIO Service. It's still fairly new to them so my contact there is going to see what, if anything, she can find out about compatibility with the MicroCell. I've suggested that they let me try out the service for one month with my MicroCell but I doubt if that will happen :smileywink: I'll post back if they get back to me in a reasonable time frame.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 12, 2013
(0)

Wow! Thank you so much. You are amazing :-)

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 12, 2013
(0)

Don't get your hopes up. AT&T is a huge corporation who sets their own priorities and it's not always a customer request so all I can do is use my ACE status and see if I can get any info. My contact in support is interested as well but it has to go up the chain and that, as I'm sure you know, can be a very slow process.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 13, 2013
(0)
Hi Otto,

Do you have any updates on this matter? :-)
Thanks!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 13, 2013
(0)

The GoPhone is pre-paid account if I remember correctly. The MicroCell will work with a pre-paid account but only as a Guest (approved user). The "owner" of the MicroCell (primary phone number) has to be a post-paid account.

I just went back to your original question and you were talking about the AIO and not the GoPhone (which you said you already had, hence my confusion). Let me send a message to the admins and ask, again. Is the AIO a pre-paid account? If it is, then my guess is no for the same reason as the GoPhone.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 15, 2013
(0)

I contacted two different reps at AIO and both said they were NOT compatible with the AT&T Microcell.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 15, 2013
(0)

Hmmm, by not compatible do you mean that it won't work via the MicroCell or do you mean that if won't register a MicroCell because it's a pre-paid account? If it's 3G, and an AT&T branded device it should, unless it has something to do with the IMSI coding. Keep in mind that most of AT&T hasn't a clue how the MicroCell works.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 16, 2013
(0)

AT&T just confirmed to me that the new AIO service will not work with the MicroCell at this time and there is no ETA on when it will, if ever.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 5, 2013
(0)

I contacted both AIO and AT&T and here is what I got.  AIO said it was not compatible with the microcell and that they were merely a subsidiary of AT&T and had no direct relationship.  AT&T said that even if I went with AIO, in order to keep my microcell working I must have a postpaid cellphone account with AT&T.  That means if the microcell works with AIO, you will still have to have a AT&T account IN ADDITION to your AIO account to keep your microcell working.  I did the math and it came out about even cost wise.  No benefit going with AIO.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 5, 2013
(0)

Yes, that is correct, and is covered in the Techincal Guide now. The MicroCell is configured to work only with with post paid accounts. Pre-paid accounts will work if they are assigned Guest status.

[ Edited ]