Posted Jan 20, 2014
4:04:55 PM
3g Microcell and Charter Cable

Hi

I have had a 3g microcell for over a year.  Suddenly this week the 3g light starts flashing and phones no longer connect.  I have:

deavtivate and reactivated too many times to count

factory reset my modem, router, microcell

replaced microcell with new one

opened all ports listed in various posts and att support site

turned cellular data and 3g data off on iphone

used priority set up (modem then 3gMC then router, this is how I am configured now)

What ever I try, there is still no connection back to att network.  ATT support says it must be charter cable and charter cable says it is att.  The only port I can not touch is 123 NTP.  I don't know what is hooked up to it, but it is not accessible to me.  However, using the priority config should bypass any port issues...right?

Please help.

170 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(170)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 27, 2014 4:28:09 PM
(0)
ACE - Guru

Yes he does.

3G MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: 3g Microcell and Charter Cable

31 of 171 (1,030 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 27, 2014 4:52:11 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Yes. He needs to send a pm to CustomerCare.

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

32 of 171 (1,028 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 28, 2014 7:26:08 PM
(0)
Tutor

3G Microcell on Charter stopped working 22-Jan-2014 after a Charter network upgrade.

The MicroCell can be activated on a different IP provider, just not Charter anymore.

Add me to the list so that AT&T and Charter can get this resolved.

I've gone through all of the troubleshooting several times: Power cycling, disconnecting everything, waiting overnight, Deactivate/Reactivate, etc. etc.while on Charter. It works OK on another ISP without a bunch of troubleshooting steps.

33 of 171 (1,001 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 28, 2014 7:44:08 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

I have already notified the Admins and they are keenly aware of the issue. I would suggest that you pm CustomerCare with your problem, what you have done to fix it, your account info, and most importantly, your location. This may be a localized issue or it may be that Charter is setting the groundwork for refusing another provider's services across their network. My guess is that Charter had its own VoIP service.

34 of 171 (997 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 28, 2014 7:58:23 PM
(0)
Tutor

Hi Otto, I sent a PM and have a case # w/AT&T.

Is there a way that I can check if those 4 ports are open? I tried CanYouSeeMe.org and it said that those 4 ports (123, 4500, 500, 443) timeout. But I don't think that is enough info. Could I find out with Wireshark or Telnet? I don't have the IP addresses though.

35 of 171 (992 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 28, 2014 8:12:35 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

This is not good. I don't have the ip addresses either. This is more than likely something that Charter has done because of their "upgrade". TWC did the same thing after an upgrade and swore they weren't blocking any ports. But after a ton of complaints to their support group, they "discovered" that it was a problem with a vendor they used for the upgrade and got the problem fixed. I'm not saying that this is what Charter is doing but it is strange that these ports get blocked after an upgrade by the ISP. The same thing is happening right now with Hawaiian Telecom after their "upgrade". All of a sudden, the MicroCell users have lost connectivity. I would start complaining to Charter, even though they will blame it on AT&T. AT&T can only do so much but they will try.

36 of 171 (991 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 29, 2014 1:01:11 PM
(0)
ACE - Guru

I've used that port checking tool before and it timed out on those same ports even though those ports are open on my router and my Mcell works fine.  I suspect there is another issue with using that tool.  It could have something to do with the router configuration.  I don't know enough to tell you what to try.

I still think that Charter has some hardware issue in that area and the only way to get them to spend time analyzing the problem is if enough people who have lost their Mcell connection complain to Charter.  Charter has not blocked those ports in my area so I don't think it is a corporate decision (yet) to force subscribers to use their VOIP product over a third party product like the Mcell. 

37 of 171 (971 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 29, 2014 1:47:30 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

I just sent another PM to the Admins this morning detailing the similarities and differences between the common issues we've recently seen with TWC, Charter, and Hawaiian Telecom. They are keenly aware of the issues and have reached out to the Charter and HT customers for more info. PM'ing CustomerCare is essential because they can compile the issues quickly and see if there is a common Service Area that is being affected, which could indicate an AT&T issue instead of an ISP issue.

38 of 171 (967 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 29, 2014 8:11:20 PM
(0)
Tutor

Good day to you. 

I have this same problem also. I have 2 microcell units in different locations not more than 2 miles apart. the home one started this 3g flashing light about a week ago and is connected via CHARTER. The other is located in my office and working great - connected via U-VERSE. Based on what I have read here it seems the CHARTER may be the problem. I have just tonight brought my office microcell to my house and it is now blinking.. Please help. I bought and installed these microcells because of the very poor service of AT&T in this area. If this can not be rectified then i will have to move my service. Thank you for your help and God Bless.

sk.

39 of 171 (949 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 29, 2014 8:41:20 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Thanks for your post. The little experiment that you did re-enforces the fact that this is a Charter issue and not AT&T. It appears that the fix will have to come from the Charter side of things. There's only so much AT&T because it isn't their network. Please send a PM to CustomerCare (link in my sig) detailing your problem and what you just reported here. Include your account information and especially your location.  I will also copy your post to the Admins.

40 of 171 (947 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 30, 2014 7:34:45 AM
(0)
Tutor

Here is the update this morning and i did send this to customer care.

I moved the office microcell unit i took home back to the office this morning and it worked quite quickly. My office internet provider is Uverse. The microcell i left in the house on CHARTER is still blinking. Kindly attend to this. My Zip Code is 76179. The 2 location are about a mile apart but different internet provider. Please help i need this resolved ASAP.

Thanks

SK.

what does PM means?

41 of 171 (918 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 30, 2014 8:44:42 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

PM is Private Message. If you click on the link in my sig it will take you to a page that you can send a message to CustomerCare (kind of like an email). I did send your post to the Admins who have in turn notified CustomerCare. They will contact you by sending you a private message. You should see the little blue envelope in the upper right corner of the page, next to Settings blinking when a message comes in for you. Or, if you PM CustomerCare you can request to have them contact  you by your email address (which you will have to provide).

Keep in mind that if this is a localized Charter issue, it will be up to them to work with AT&T to resolve the issue.

42 of 171 (909 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 30, 2014 9:42:47 AM
(0)
ACE - Guru

Latest poster's zip code places them in the Fort Worth area also.   I have no doubt this is a regional Charter issue.  I agree that everyone affected by this problem should contact CustomerCare so they have enough ammo to convince Charter to resolve the problem. 

43 of 171 (901 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 30, 2014 10:21:42 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Thanks for catching the zip code.

44 of 171 (897 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 30, 2014 11:26:00 AM
(0)
Tutor
In my case the MicroCell is not the problem. It activates within 15 minutes on TW Telecom in Dallas, TX. It does not activate on Charter in Fort Worth, TX. Yes, I changed the physical location in the settings so that the GPS and physical location would match. Note that this cell worked great for 3 weeks on Charter and stopped working on 22-Jan-2014 on Charter. Now it always fails Step 4 of 4 in the online Activation process while connected to Charter.

I don't think that CanYouSeeMe.org is very reliable to troubleshoot this issue: None of the ports respond on Charter in Fort Worth and only Port 443 gives success on TW Telecom in Dallas. The cell activates and makes calls on TW Telecom.

If you don't have another ISP to check, you might be able to activate the cell at an AT&T store just to prove that the cell is working (unless the store uses Charter!). It probably won't work when you re-connect it on Charter.

Note that I also have Vonage (VOIP) and a Charter phone line (VOIP) that are both working. I don't think that there is some net neutrality conspiracy. Just that someone forgot to check the database when they upgraded the Charter network.

The real problem is convincing Charter that the problem is on their side.

Many thanks to Otto for his help.

45 of 171 (888 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 30, 2014 12:47:28 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

That's good information about Vonage. I would expect any VoIP service offered by Charter to work. I'm not familiar with what Vonage uses for their VoIP service but it could involve different ports or connectivity to Vonage's servers. Vonage doesn't really compete with Charter but AT&T does, so the "conspiracy theory" still holds some credibility :smileywink: I'm hoping this is a localized issue and not some change that Charter is attempting in certain markets to see how it goes. I'll copy and paste this to the Admins to document another Ft. Worth issue but please PM your issue to CustomerCare if you haven't done so already.

46 of 171 (877 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 30, 2014 12:55:28 PM
(0)
ACE - Guru
Edited by Avedis53 on Jan 30, 2014 at 12:56:38 PM

If you try to run a port checker from within your home network, you will almost always "time out" for a port.  Unless your router supports NAT hairpinning, testing from within your home network will result in the packets being dropped on return and result in the time out.

The best way to check for open or closed ports on your ISP would be to bypass your network, connect your computer directly to your modem and then run the port checker program.

[ Edited ]
47 of 171 (875 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 30, 2014 1:34:06 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Good stuff. Thanks partner!

48 of 171 (867 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 30, 2014 3:52:55 PM
(0)
Teacher

For some reason by post didn't show up.

For an update I got a call from the ATT person that is forwarding the information to the ATT team that is working on this. She stated that Chater has requested that ATT have their customers call Charter and open up a case so that the problems can be documents on Charters end as well. The ATT rep also asked that I get a case number so that they could have it on their end.

Naturally I called Charter right away and had to ask for a supervisor after the intial person told me that she could not generate a case for something like the issue we are having and was unable to provide me a case number. The supervisor I talked to who was very friendly and is trying to help also told me the same thing.

He told me that he would send an email over to the area that covers my residence to see if they were the ones communicating with ATT regarding this issue and what we needed to do to generate a case regarding this. He promptly called me back and said that he hadn't gotten a reply from the office that services the area, but that he had consulted with other Charter supervisors in the office and they all have recieved calls from other customers regarding our Microcell issues. The other supervisors told him that they heard it was an ATT upgrade to the Microcell that was causing the issue and caused the microcell to become uncompatiable with some ISP's which included Time Warner and one other ISP. We talked at length and I told him I thought it was a port blocking issue on Charter's end. He did take the time to find other people that had called in and is going to send a second email to this group with everyones information that he can get. He agreed that the more the better to push the Charter people in this regional office that covers our areas to do something.

If you are having issues please email him at the email address below and at the bare minimum give him a contact number he can call you at to get what he needs. I think they are really looking for a contact number and address to document the service area that is being affected. For the record for everyone here if I didn't list it I live in zip code 76126 in Benbrook which is just west of Fort Worth.

49 of 171 (847 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 30, 2014 4:10:14 PM
(0)
Teacher

Additional update. I got a call from ATT and they believe they have identified the specific problem on Charter's end. I have passed the supervisors email onto ATT so that they can try and communicate directly to solve this. Still no estimated time frame, but it seems to be moving toward a soultion if we can get someone on the tech side of Charter in play. Will post any new updates I get. I would suggest still emailing Travis at the email I failed to include on my last post, but I have here.

travis.santana@chartercom.com

50 of 171 (845 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 30, 2014 5:29:36 PM
(0)
ACE - Guru

Your post didn't show up here because you posted it under another thread titled "3G Microcell".

Hopefully, Charter and ATT can work together to solve this and it will help if others having the same problem contact Charter and ATT.

51 of 171 (843 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 30, 2014 5:55:54 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

I'm a little more hopeful. Someone sent me part of an email from AT&T that indicated that some traffic from Charter is being routed thru Italy! :smileysurprised: I'm passing it along to the Admins so maybe it's as simple as a bad routing table that can be easily fixed. Fingers crossed.

52 of 171 (842 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 30, 2014 10:40:08 PM
(0)
Tutor

I ran the port check tools while directly connected to the modem and found that only port 443 is open. The other ports are Closed/Connection refused instead of the timeout seen earlier. Thanks to Avedis for this suggestion.

Hopefully someone from AT&T and Charter are looking at all of the clues given here. Thanks again to Otto and to Steve for pushing this along.

53 of 171 (827 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 31, 2014 8:26:25 AM
(0)
Contributor

Had the same problem about a week and half ago.  I was on the phone with ATT several times and they re-sent me a new microcell.  I have been on the phone with ATT and CHARTER trying to get it up and running but have been unsuccessful.  I was even on a 2 hour 3-way with netgear and att and myslef yesterday trying to get it to work.  

Same problems as you had.  My problem was the 4500 port being closed.  I changed the router settings and have been usnsuccessful.

Any ideas? 

54 of 171 (820 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 31, 2014 9:50:01 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

The port issue is totally on the Charter side. AT&T keeps those ports open on their end for the MicroCell to work. Something from your end thru Charter's network is either blocking those ports or mis-directing them. I have been working with the Admins all week who in turn have been pushing the AT&T network group(s) to push Charter to figure this out. I'm hoping it's an upstream switch somewhere that has failed, but it will take time, probably on Charter's end, to find it and fix it.

55 of 171 (814 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 31, 2014 10:06:01 AM
(0)
ACE - Guru

Italy????  That still doesn't account for what appears to be closed ports. 

56 of 171 (812 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 31, 2014 10:22:32 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

No it doesn't but I've seen the trace so it's just another oddity that compounds the issue. My guess is that it's just that, an oddity, but it is there none the less. I've been in communication with a SVP Engineering from Charter so they are taking this seriously and trying.

57 of 171 (806 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 31, 2014 10:45:03 AM
(0)
ACE - Guru

Name dropper!

58 of 171 (803 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 31, 2014 11:12:28 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

:smileytongue: I think the router is actually stateside now so maybe we are starting to get there, at least for one facet of this problem.

59 of 171 (796 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 1, 2014 6:46:22 PM
(0)
Contributor

I have also been experiencing the same problems with the Microcell and Charter Internet.  My problems began at approximately 1/1/14 after having the Microcell in the same home environment without problems for years.  I'm so glad to see here that I am not alone in experiencing this problem.

AT&T has been incredible in attempting to resolve the problem.  They have worked tirelessly for a month, including shipping me two replacement Microcell's to configure.  All continued to fail with the same error.  According to AT&T, everything pointed to a blocked port 4500 or IPSec passthrough.

All along, the frontline Charter technical support continued to deny that Charter blocked any ports.  I made repeated attempts to get escalation beyond the frontline to no avail.

Tonight I discovered this thread on the forum and I gained hope.  I began to compose a message of my problems when I decided to attempt the Microcell one more time.  Low and behold, it now works!  I am a North Carolina Charter customer, so hopefully this success applies to all others as well.

I know I did not do anything to resolve the problem in the last few days, so I give complete credit to the members of this forum who have obviously worked to get attention on this problem.  Thanks so much to everyone's efforts here.

And thanks to AT&T for all of their efforts -- both directly with me and any leverage they brought to fix the problem.  If AT&T offered their UVerse product at my address, I would leave Charter Internet in a minute!

60 of 171 (763 Views)