What is happening with 3G?
brian.25's profile

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

Monday, September 9th, 2013 3:24 AM

3G Microcell U-verse Dropped Calls After 30 Seconds

I recently switched over from DSL to U-verse.  Several months prior to that I had purchased a 3G Microcell and had little to no issues with it.  After the switch though, I have had nothing but problems.

The current issue is that about 30 seconds into the call, the person on the other end is no longer able to hear the voice of the person connected through the 3G Microcell.  Then usually about 1 minute into the call, it drops out.  If End Call is pressed, the iPhone connected to the microcell freezes for several seconds before returning to the home screen.  After this, the 3G bottom light on the microcell will often begin blinking as the connection to the AT&T servers appears to reset.

Initially I had 10% packet loss, but was able to resolve this with U-verse.  They scheduled a technician visit, and had the problem fixed before he even arrived.  I now have 0% packet loss and either an A or B rating with pingtest.net.

I also attempted to manually configure my router settings by changing the MTU to 1492 and setting up Port Forwarding for UDP 123, 500, 4500 and TCP 443 to the microcell in the Pace 5031NV router settings.  This had no effect, so I have since taken the further step of placing the microcell in the router's DMZ.

Since I occassionally would receive a 102 error message (the registered address does not match the actual device location) when attempting to deactivate and re-register the microcell, I verified with AT&T that the GPS coordinates being sent by the microcell matched my address, which they did.

I also took my iPhone 5 to the AT&T store to swap the SIM card.  This had no effect either.  Neither did disabling LTE on the phone or disabling hand-out on the microcell.

After many calls to tech support, AT&T finally sent me another 3G Microcell to try.  Unfortunately, this did not resolve the problem either.

At this point, I am considering trying out Charter internet or giving up on microcell entirely and trying Magic Jack.  At least with cable service, I would have the option in that case of bypassing the router for the microcell by connecting directly to the modem.

When I last spoke with AT&T microcell group they recommended I speak with U-verse or even Cisco for further troubleshooting as they blame the problem on the internet connection.  However, when I called U-verse, they were unable to help and transferred me back to Mobility for the microcell...

Running out of ideas.  Appreciate any thoughts or suggestions...

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

If you have ADSL2+ then copper facilities already existed in your neighborhood and the VRAD was for FTTN so that the other homes could use their existing copper lines for IPTV, HDTV, etc. The VRAD system is mostly used by AT&T for U-verse subscribers so I'm surprised they don't have U-verse. Maybe they did in the past and the connections (lines) are still in place. VRAD does have distance limitations similar to DSL.

Mentor

• 

32 Messages

10 years ago

Yes, it's hard to understand why non-subscribers would have been moved to a VRAD and I was not. Fortunately, a local AT&T Network Manager got involved after the tech visit yesterday, and as of today, the AT&T system says I am now eligible for 6 Mbps...it's a miracle! 🙂 So my ADSL2+ has been upgraded, and a move to the VRAD is apparently in the works. If/when that happens, I will see if I can get a Motorola NVG589, which is normally reserved only for pair-bonding, as you indicated.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

Good luck. I hope it works out.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

Thank you so much for this thread! I just received a Microcell for Christmas as we have 0-1 bars in our house (but great U-Verse speeds). Thanks to @Otto Pylot's guide, I was able to get the device set up pretty quickly such that all lights are steady and green and my Android phone (with in-range IMSI number!) chooses the AT&T MICROCELL network with no problem. Everything seemed to be working fine UNTIL I tried making calls and experienced exactly this issue. I thought I was going crazy. I checked my speed/bandwidth (18+ down / ~3 up) so everything seemed in order.

With this forum at least it is evident that I am not alone. Motivated by this forum, I checked my modem/router and . . . guess what? It's a Pace 5031NV!

So please help me understand exactly what I should do now. As I understand it, I should try a different model of modem/router - but which one? Do I need first to ascertain which type of UVerse connection I have? (Aside: Am I the only one who finds it strange that the modem/routers AT&T is putting out at its customer locations for its own UVerse service aren't included in the AT&T Microcell Troubleshooting Guide??) I haven't yet contacted AT&T about anything so I would welcome some advice about how best to approach them for this equipment switch.

Thanks!

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

Unfortunately, the U-Verse and MicroCell Support groups don't always communicate well with each other and, as usual, the customer gets caught in the middle. The reason the different "modem" types are not listed in the supplied MicroCell Troubleshooting Guide (AT&Ts publication) is that the guide was written a long time ago and modems change a lot. So instead of peridocially updating the guide or giving customer support the most recent information, it's left up to the customer and this forum to figure it out. Sad, but true. I haven't had time to update my Guide which will include the U-verse modem information but it will only be as accurate as long as those modem types are being offered.

All you can do is call customer support (or PM CustomerCare, the link is in my sig) and reference your problem to this thread and see if they can get a different modem type for you.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks! I just PMed AT&T Customer Care and will let you know how it goes - hoping to be another success story for your tally!

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

Hopefully this will work out for you. Let us know.

Community Support

• 

2.7K Messages

10 years ago

Hi guido23,

We received your private message, and one of our U-verse Technical Experts will be reaching out to you soon.

Thanks,

Jenn S.

Voyager

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I had similar issue and resolution with pace5031nv modem / router.  At my first call to UVerse support they scheduled a technician visit. Before that I did everything to make my Microcell working I disconnect it three time they suggest me to change my Microcell which I did and pay almost @15 for next day shipping, I change the place and at the and I found this forum, and I request the technician to change my pace 5031nv with 3801HGV, he did and my Microcell is working again but my internet speed went back to 5mbps downloading and 1mbps uploading that is kind of disappointing but I am happy that my phones ARE working again, I can’t confirm if there is an across the board problem with all 5031NV units, but this is definitely a fairly common problem, Hope this helps others to a much faster resolution,  15-20 days after switching to max plus U-verse , I am happy to finally have Microcell back, and no longer struggle with 1-2 bars wireless signal. Thanks to all people at this form only this thread could help otherwise technician from Microcell and U-verse were blaming each other and totally have no idea about this problem ( that the pace 5031nv and Microcell are not compatible or have some issue with each other)

So look like I have no choice either I choose fast internet or Microcell.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

Thanks for the post. I will be adding the U-verse modem issues in my next update to the Guide (which doesn't help you now) so hopefully that information will make it easier for U-verse customers to troubleshoot and recommend possible fixes.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.