Posted Dec 16, 2011
7:32:14 PM
3G Microcell - 3G Red Light Flashing

My GPS, Ethernet, and power light are on with a solid green. My 3G light is a solid red that flashes every three seconds. I use a Netgear router/modem; honestly, I'm not sure what a modem or router looks like but I plugged the microcell's ethernet into the Netgear. I've tried disconnecting then reactivating the microcell. No luck.

Any advice on how to troubleshoot this issue would be awesome. I live in the countryside where cell phone reception is severely limited. Thanks!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Solved
Jul 10, 2012 8:44:55 AM
(0)
Tutor

I just wanted the forum to know that my experience with AT&T Support was positive.  I had the flashing red light shortly after I completed my set-up at home.  It was easy to get the light back to steady green for an hour or two. Just pull the plug and restart 

After two days of the flashing red light, I called AT&T Support.  I waited about 10 minutes for a support person (early Sunday morning).  I asked her if she knew about the flashing red light problem.  She said she did and had proposed solutions depending on the diagnosis.  I told her that the AT&T Store had activated the Microcell for me.  I didn't return home and complete the rest of the steps for about two hours.  She said that was too long of an interval and Support will advise stores not to activate at purchase.  She deactivated and reactivated my Microcell for me.  Second, her screen indicated that my GPA signal was not locking permanently.  She asked how close was my Microcell to a window and were there any obstructions.  I was at the margin of the recomended distance to the window (3-4') and the  window is at a corner and I am surrounded by lots of trees.  I moved the Microcell to almost touch the window and opposite from the corner.  Her screen showed the GPS lock problem had disappeared from her screen.

I have been up and running now for more tha 48 hours with a steady green light.

117 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(117)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 1, 2012 8:03:03 PM
(0)
Contributor

Logging in to my account, removing the microcell, and then reactivating it resolved the flashing red light problem (or at least it appears to after 24 hours).  I did notice that the progress bar during the reactivation indicated a software update was applied leading me to believe that the sudden red light syndrome is in fact related to a failed update.

Re: 3G Microcell - 3G Red Light Flashing ** Might Know The Problem! Pls answer 4 simple questions!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 2, 2012 5:40:00 PM
(0)
Mentor

Same for me ... Blinking red for a few days.  Deactivate / reactivate brought it back to life.  Before the deacivate/reactivate cycle, it only let me have 10 numbers allowed on the access point.  Now it lets me put 15.

3G upload speeds are back down to 64Kbps from 128Kbps, however.

Hopefully the new software will improve the audio problems, though.

Re: 3G Microcell - 3G Red Light Flashing ** Might Know The Problem! Pls answer 4 simple questions!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 2, 2012 6:22:33 PM
(0)
Tutor

Alright, so here's what AT&T told me....after talking to microcell tech support for a while, I was first told that there was an error confirming my GPS location.  A few minutes later, I was told that their system had a problem registering the Mcell, and finally, they told me that my M-cell tamper switch had been triggered.

Yes, that's right, they told me that my M-cell, which still had the plastic on the sides, that had never been dropped or modified or anything of that nature, had been tampered with and that there was nothing they can do for me. 

So, I chucked the piece of crap into the garbage.  My suggestion to everyone, if you have an M-cell with problems, don't deal with AT&T, do yourself a favor and go on ebay and find a 3G amplifier system that will take a cell signal and amplify it and let you enjoy cell reception with no activation and re-activation and red lights to deal with.

If you just purchased your microcell, return it and spend a few extra dollars for the amplifier system.

Thank you AT&T, the peice of garbage device that I HAD to pay for just to get reception crapped out on me and you did absolutely nothing to help me.

Re: 3G Microcell - 3G Red Light Flashing

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 9, 2012 7:45:25 PM
(0)
Contributor

I agree with overclockedpc. The AT&T guys are useless when it comes to the microcell... not to mention other services. 

Here is my situation and this might help. My Service was working fine for over a year, since Sept 2011 till Jun 2012. Originally I could not activate the microcell with my address since was a new neighborhood so I used a close by address and everything was fine. 

In June I had a new internet service and I found that they did have my new address so I decided to change it. It required a new activation with the same microcell tower. Bad move... since then I've been dealing with the red 3G light going off almost every day. 

I am not sure how much longer I can keep up with this but this issue has to be related to an activation problem... location wise as this is what triggered the issue in my case. 

I wish I had a solution. will keep trying for now. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Solved
Jul 10, 2012 8:44:55 AM
(0)
Tutor

I just wanted the forum to know that my experience with AT&T Support was positive.  I had the flashing red light shortly after I completed my set-up at home.  It was easy to get the light back to steady green for an hour or two. Just pull the plug and restart 

After two days of the flashing red light, I called AT&T Support.  I waited about 10 minutes for a support person (early Sunday morning).  I asked her if she knew about the flashing red light problem.  She said she did and had proposed solutions depending on the diagnosis.  I told her that the AT&T Store had activated the Microcell for me.  I didn't return home and complete the rest of the steps for about two hours.  She said that was too long of an interval and Support will advise stores not to activate at purchase.  She deactivated and reactivated my Microcell for me.  Second, her screen indicated that my GPA signal was not locking permanently.  She asked how close was my Microcell to a window and were there any obstructions.  I was at the margin of the recomended distance to the window (3-4') and the  window is at a corner and I am surrounded by lots of trees.  I moved the Microcell to almost touch the window and opposite from the corner.  Her screen showed the GPS lock problem had disappeared from her screen.

I have been up and running now for more tha 48 hours with a steady green light.

Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 10, 2012 9:33:44 AM
(0)
Former Community Manager

That's great to hear! I'm glad she was able to get things running again. If you happen to remember her name or her ID, please send me a private message

To send a private message, you can either click on the link in this message or click on the little blue envelope in the upper right hand corner, click "compose new message" and type my username in the "Send To" field.

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 22, 2012 10:51:57 AM
(0)
Tutor

Called att support today as the red light was flashing... After troubleshooting they said device was defective and needed to be replaced. They said I had it one year and several months and I would have to buy a new one. I read this topic and hit reset. Thing works fine now.. Bet they were updating it last night. I hate Att support. 

ps.. It took me many hours to get the device to work in the beginning. I spent hours on the phone with att support and my phone company. Each blamed the other.. But the phone company tech was awesome (Jake from Fairport)! In the end the Microcell was defective and needed to be replaced. That was a little over a year ago...

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 22, 2012 11:01:18 AM
(0)
Former Community Manager

I'm sorry you had a difficult time with our phone support. If you happen to remember the name or the ID of the person you worked with, please send me a private message with that information.

I am glad that this thread was able to help you resolve the issue though! Our community rocks. :smileyhappy:

To send a private message, you can either click on the link in this message or click on the little blue envelope in the upper right hand corner, click "compose new message" and type my username in the "Send To" field.

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 14, 2012 5:49:38 AM
(0)
Contributor

"I am disturbed that AT&T is not supporting this product  better than this."

I'm disturbed that cell tower coverage in my area has deteriorated over the past several months so that I had to buy this thing in the first place. I've been a cell customer since before AT&T acquired Cingular and never had any trouble using my cell phones from home until this summer.

I'm also disturbed that all this modern technology that's supposed to reduce the need for paper, all has reset buttons that can only be used with a bent paper clip.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 14, 2012 8:41:59 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

I too have had cell phones since the days of PacBell (before Cingular). In those days, coverage in our home was perfect. Once the technology started advancing to Edge, 3G, etc, coverage dropped considerably in our home, but the number of Verizon and AT&T towers increased. My guess is that there has been some "give and take" on AT&T and Verizon's part as far as coverage goes so that some towers in certain areas have been "given up" to accomodate either carriers technology (GSM and CDMA respectively). Also, the networks are just getting saturated, and both carriers (AT&T more so than Verizon), are just scrambling to keep up with demand and implementation of newer technologies. The MicroCell was a good idea, and still is, but is poorly implemented in a lot of cases. That's why there are forums like this so that we can one, vent our frustrations, and two, help each other work out issues.

Oh, and the idea of a reset button that has to be used with a paperclip is to prevent accidental resetting because of a surface mount button that could be easily pressed. Very common practice.

3G MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 18, 2012 10:50:33 AM
(0)
Contributor

Try re-registering your location using the ATT Microcell on-line web site. Delete the current location and then re-enter it and select it as the current location. I had the constantly flashing green 3G LED.  ATT chat support couldnt fix it so I relocated to a location  I have available and the problem resolved when I entered that location.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 3, 2012 10:42:59 AM
(0)
Tutor

So I have been having the flashing red bar syndrom for a couple of months. I have tried a lot of the suggestions in this forum. The only one that seem to work was to hold the reset button in for 30 seconds and then it would start working again, but, usually for only a day or so. Then I tried deleting my location and re-adding. That worked once, then the Microcell stopped working all together. Worked with 3 or 4 first line ATT  support folks, but that was useless as they were basically reading from the Microcell manual. Finally the last one I worked with said she would elevate the issue. but neglected to tell me that it would probably 5 - 7 days before 2nd line support would call me. I got up this morning and figured I would give it another shot troubleshooting myself. I logged on to  the ATT website and found that my microcell was no longer even registered. I tried to call ATT Microcell support, but because the device was no longer registered, Microcell support was not an option I could pick. This turned out to be a good thing. I got someone in regular phone support that was good. She re-registered the device and re-added my location, and said she would call me back in 90 minutes. Boom, in 5 or so minutes my Microcell was online. The tech did call me back. She did not know why my device was no longer registered, but she had corrected the situation! So is the holy grail to fixing this problem having your device unregistered and then registered? I have never had it come online in 5 minutes the whole year I have owned it. The jury is still out as to whether this will work day over day, but I am hoping!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 5, 2012 11:41:49 AM
(0)
Former Community Manager

Sometimes de-registering/re-registering resolves issues, like turning the computer on and off does. 

I'm glad your Microcell is working again!

--------------

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 20, 2012 3:15:03 PM
(0)
Tutor
I'm having the same issue. I have to reset mine sometimes 4 or 5 times a day. The light will stay green for hours, then suddenly start blinking red again. I unplug the power cord on the device, let it sit 5 minutes, then plug it back in. It comes back green for hours again and then goes back to flashing red. I'm with you, it's disturbing, the lack of support for this product. I'm on my second one, as they always seem to tell you it's the device, exchange it for another one. I bet my first one wasn't really defective, because it did the same thing.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 26, 2012 3:53:45 PM
(0)
Tutor

I'm wondering if your device has a good view of the sky. I had the Red Light syndrome for months, power cycling it at least every other day. I finally moved it right under a window and it has been rock solid for over 4 weeks now!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 26, 2012 12:31:28 PM
(0)
Teacher

So here we are approaching December of 2012.  I believe the post that started this thread was entered almost one year ago...and I've read all sorts of suggestions....from powering off the device in specific sequences that included disconnection of the ethernet port...to gigabit network incompatibility....to chanting while swinging a dead chicken overhead (of course, that's an exaggeration).  I imagine some have resolved their issue, but only some.  I get the distinct impression that most are still dealing with the flashing 3G LED.  It does appear that many agree with the failed firmware update theory as the cause, although I can't seem to find how I might confirm through MCell status and date/time stamps.  I've been all over the net and can't find any definitive discussion of root cause and permanent resolution.

I really want to try the suggestions that I've read thus far, but would like to avoid the days or weeks worth of trial & error (which I will do out of desperation).  Is there anyone on this forum that can claim success?  Is AT&T listening at all?  Any success stories would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 26, 2012 1:47:28 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Your are correct in your conclusion that the flashing red 3G is the result of an update by AT&T. The MicroCell failed to properly re-boot after the update and it thinks it is broken. There is no way to confirm what is going on with the MicroCell because it is a totally closed system only available for "inspection" at the AT&T end. I had the blinking red 3G only once, and that lasted for about an hour with a simple power cycle fixing the problem. I posted yesterday my iPhone 5 and MicroCell speed test. In it, I've listed my hardware setup which may help you. Basically the MicroCell is setup following AT&T's installation instructions and then my port forwarding scheme. There are just way too many hardware variables out there to point you to any one thing that may fix your setup. A hard reset may work for you (pressing the reset button on the back), port forwarding, changing the position of your MicroCell and using an extension GPS antenna, making sure your ISP is not blocking any of the ports necessary for the MicroCell to communicate with the AT&T servers, etc.

Oh, and sometimes swinging a chicken over your head does help :smileywink:

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 26, 2012 6:03:29 PM
(0)
Teacher
Spoiler

Gps antenna is the cheapest thing to try and the only thing that fixed mine..........

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 26, 2012 7:01:09 PM
(0)
Teacher
I say;"Go with the chicken!" I ended buying a new unit, when old one did the whole "flashing red" thing. The thing that amazes me is the total lack of understanding at tech support. It's clear to me that they are just reading from a manual. I didn't even bother calling, when my unit "flaked out" a couple of weeks ago. I tried a power cycle and ended up un-registering and then re-registering. I didn't have a chicken, so I used the neighbor's cat. It wasn't happy!

Wake up AT&T and get some tech folks that actually can troubleshoot these units.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 27, 2012 8:47:01 AM
(0)
Teacher

LOL..so I guess the voodoo thing is not off the table. 

Re: AT&T tech support....I agree.  I called yesterday to see if there might be an acknowledgement of the problem and a solution on their part.  They recommend the unreg/re-reg approach to start.  Then the tech said something that I couldn't let pass....so I asked her to help me understand exactly how the system works end-to-end.  I was stunned when she tried to suggest that the MCell communicates to local cell towers.  I asked "how is it that the MCell can connect to a cell tower, while my phone cannot?.....If my phone could do so, I wouldn't need the MCell".  Her answer:  Because the MCell is supposed to be located by a window.  I knew it was time to end the call.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 27, 2012 10:31:35 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Rickalodeon wrote:

LOL..so I guess the voodoo thing is not off the table. 

Re: AT&T tech support... I asked "how is it that the MCell can connect to a cell tower, while my phone cannot?.....If my phone could do so, I wouldn't need the MCell".  Her answer:  Because the MCell is supposed to be located by a window.  I knew it was time to end the call.

That's funny, but very sad. I mailed support over the weekend with a list of support related issues from the last couple of weeks. I know AT&T would like to resolve issues and comments like that but the machine moves very slowly. That's pretty much why we have this forum, becuase if it wasn't for the contributors, there's a lot of folks who would not have been able to get their MicroCells up and running.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 28, 2012 8:43:49 AM
(0)
Former Community Manager

Hey all,

As a reminder, if you're having trouble with your Microcell you're welcome to send a private message to ATTCustomerCare with your name, account number, email address, phone number and the best time to contact you.

I know you've tried other methods of support without but we'd like the chance to get this worked out for you.  

To send a private message, you can either click on the link in this message or click on the little blue envelope in the upper right hand corner, click "compose new message" and type ATTCustomerCare in the "Send To" field.

--------------

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 2, 2013 5:24:23 AM
(0)
Contributor

My MC was fine until I removed it downstairs from an upstairs window where it had a better GPS signal.  I moved it down in order to be able to use cell phones in basement bedrooms.  Now I get red flashing light daily, and sometimes must power down/up more than once to recover.

I am on a northfacing mountain slope with lots of trees that have snow, leaves, etc changing all year.  Not easy to "see" the GPS satellites here.

I have read about update issues, bad chips, etc.  but the GPS signal is probably my issue.  Sounds like a GPS antenna might be my solution. I see the connection on the MicroCell.  Where do I get an antenna, and any suggestions realted?  Thanks. rr

Re: 3G Microcell - 3G Red Light Flashing GPS antenna?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 2, 2013 9:06:02 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

I don't have the link readily at hand but you can Google AT&T Microell GPS antenna and find it. I think there's one that works just fine on Amazon for about $6. Make sure you take note of the type of connector that the MicroCell has and get the correct fitting antenna. I believe the cables go up to about 25'.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 25, 2013 11:47:04 AM
(0)
Teacher

Initially I had my MC down in my daylight basement and it struggled to get a good GPS lock. I then relocated it to an upstairs window and it was working fine..

However, this weekend it decided to flash the 3G LED red and after multiple reboots it stays in this mode. I can see that the device is getting a GPS lock as the GPS LED is solid green (as is the Ethernet LED).

It started to do this after the device was powered off for a few hours of electrical maintenance. Since it was powered back all it wants to do is flash its LED..

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 25, 2013 12:41:24 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

If the 3G light is flashing red that indicates a hardware failure. However, if the MicroCell received an update from AT&T that required an automatic reboot, the reboot might not have been successful and the MicroCell "thinks" it's a hardware failure. Was it powered off for "electrical maintenance" properly (unplugged) or did you have an outage and then it attempted to come back on once power was restored? Try a hard reset (holding in the reset button on the back for about 30 seconds).

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 6, 2013 7:34:24 AM
(0)
Voyager

I just received my MicroCell 2 weeks ago it was working great but the last week all the lights are green but my Iphone 5 will not conect or other cell phones on my plan.  I have to reset the Microcell every day to get the phones to connect and thenit will work for awhile. Is there any other suggestions?.

3G Microcell - reseting everyday

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 6, 2013 8:46:36 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Are you in the Ohio area by any chance? There apparently is an outage in that area. Sometimes an upstream switch fails and AT&T doesn't know about it until complaints start coming in. Switch outages can sometimes cause a cascade effect and spread to other areas or states.

Re: 3G Microcell - reseting everyday

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 7, 2013 5:52:43 AM
(0)
Voyager

No I am in Mid Michigan area (Lansing)

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 7, 2013 8:17:20 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

There is an apparent outage in the Texas, Illinois, Ohio, and Pennsylvania only affecting certain areas in those states. My guess is that it is an upstream switch somewhere so you may be part of the cascade effect. I would send a PM to CustomerCare (see link in my sig) detailing your problem, what you have done, and you complete account info (phone number, location, etc). The more complaints that come in the sooner the network engineers can figure out what's wrong, if it is in fact a switch, and get it fixed. The problems are the same: all lights are solid green, text messages work, but  incoming/outgoing calls fail.