Posted Dec 16, 2011
7:32:14 PM
3G Microcell - 3G Red Light Flashing

My GPS, Ethernet, and power light are on with a solid green. My 3G light is a solid red that flashes every three seconds. I use a Netgear router/modem; honestly, I'm not sure what a modem or router looks like but I plugged the microcell's ethernet into the Netgear. I've tried disconnecting then reactivating the microcell. No luck.

Any advice on how to troubleshoot this issue would be awesome. I live in the countryside where cell phone reception is severely limited. Thanks!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Solved
Jul 10, 2012 8:44:55 AM
(0)
Tutor

I just wanted the forum to know that my experience with AT&T Support was positive.  I had the flashing red light shortly after I completed my set-up at home.  It was easy to get the light back to steady green for an hour or two. Just pull the plug and restart 

After two days of the flashing red light, I called AT&T Support.  I waited about 10 minutes for a support person (early Sunday morning).  I asked her if she knew about the flashing red light problem.  She said she did and had proposed solutions depending on the diagnosis.  I told her that the AT&T Store had activated the Microcell for me.  I didn't return home and complete the rest of the steps for about two hours.  She said that was too long of an interval and Support will advise stores not to activate at purchase.  She deactivated and reactivated my Microcell for me.  Second, her screen indicated that my GPA signal was not locking permanently.  She asked how close was my Microcell to a window and were there any obstructions.  I was at the margin of the recomended distance to the window (3-4') and the  window is at a corner and I am surrounded by lots of trees.  I moved the Microcell to almost touch the window and opposite from the corner.  Her screen showed the GPS lock problem had disappeared from her screen.

I have been up and running now for more tha 48 hours with a steady green light.

Accepted Solution

3G Microcell - 3G Red Light Flashing

117 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(117)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 19, 2011 6:52:15 AM
(0)
Teacher
It states right in the user guide a red flashing 3G light may be a device issue. Sounds like it is broken.

Re: 3G Microcell - 3G Red Light Flashing

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 21, 2011 1:37:05 AM
(0)
Employee
There is a"unknown"issue causing this.not sure why yet as a lot odd people had this happen last week
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 21, 2011 8:50:08 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Kimen wrote:
It states right in the user guide a red flashing 3G light may be a device issue. Sounds like it is broken.

Not necessarily. If AT&T updates the MicroCell (and this is usually done in the middle of the night without advanced notice or reason), and there is a problem re-connecting, the 3G light will start blinking red because the update either failed or the MicroCell thinks it has because of no connection. That happened to me a couple of weeks ago and a quick power cycle of my modem/router/ MicroCell resolved the blinking red light and I was back up and running in under 10 minutes.

3G MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 24, 2011 7:12:46 PM
(0)
Contributor

My GPS light has been blinking red for several days now. Yet the Microcell seems to be working fine. Do I need to do anything to get the light solid green as it should be or should I not bother myself since the phone seems to be connecting to the Microcell?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 25, 2011 8:38:13 AM
(0)
Contributor
my microcell is a solid red and I don't remember it being that way

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 25, 2011 11:22:23 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

damomics wrote:
my microcell is a solid red and I don't remember it being that way

AT&T probably attempted an update (usually done in the middle of the night) that either didn't go well or after the update the MicroCell didn't properly reset itself so it thinks the update failed. Power cycle and see if that corrects it. When my 3G started blinking red I just power cycled everything and was back up and running with solid green all the way down in about 10 minutes. What was odd though is that even with a red blinking 3G light, I still had a solid connection.

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 27, 2011 7:01:26 AM
(0)
Contributor

Same issue here.  The microcell worked fine for well over a year and then suddenly I started getting the red blinking 3G light a few weeks ago, right around the time others started reporting the same issue.  Seems pretty obvious that AT&T pushed some kind of software update to the microcell that didn't go very well.  Hopefully they'll figure it out and push another update to correct it.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 30, 2011 7:41:48 PM
(0)
Contributor

I power cycled down and restarted and also was able to get a green light again. However within an hour or so it goes red again. I thought it might be my wireless router so I bought a new one and that did not make a difference. Everything on my phones and Micro Cell indicate that I should not be able to make a phone call yet we are able to do so. We will let the light blink red and just keep using the phones I guess.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 9, 2012 3:16:38 PM
(0)
Contributor

I am having the same issue.

I wake up, red flashing light, I power cycle everything, get a green light, and within hours right back to flashing red.

Anyone know anything new or further about this issue?

Thanks in advance

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 10, 2012 11:28:04 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
If you've power cycled and let it sit unpowered for about 5 minutes and still can't get a solid green 3G, then the update is causing the MicroCell to think there's a hardware failure because it can't reset itself. There is a reset button just above the power cord connector on the back. Try pressing that for about 30 seconds or whatever the instructions say to reset it.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 8, 2012 1:17:34 PM
(0)
Tutor

Does anyone consider this to be a long term solution?  Yes, resetting the Microcell fixes the blinking red 3G led, for some time but it is not a lasting fix.  I have to reset my device nearly every day.  Today, I have reset it twice.  Is there no better fix than this?

I am disturbed that AT&T is not supporting this product  better than this.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 9, 2012 11:42:06 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

No. I don't think that resetting everyday is considered a long term solution but it may be the only workaround for some. If you haven't done so already I'd check your setup, ISP, etc. You may just have a defective MicroCell that just can't properly reset itself either after an update by AT&T or something that your ISP has done. If you're still under warranty, document your issues with support and then get approval to go down to your local corporate AT&T store and get a replacement. The support, or total lack of by AT&T, has been an ongoing issue since they were first introduced. [Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 7, 2012 4:06:16 PM
(0)
Tutor

I also have had the flashing 3g light problem for a while and I MAY have come up with some kind of fix but need someone to help me test it. 

So, if your microcell is flahing a red 3g light, please try the following and let me know what happens.

1) With the microcell flashing red, unplug the ethernet cable while leaving power plugged in.

2) Wait 2 mnutes, unplug power cable.(whileethernet is unplugged).

3) Wait 30 seconds, plug power cable in with ethernet cable unplugged.

4) Wait 2 minutes, plug in ethernet cable. (while microcell is powered on)

5) Wait 2 minutes, unplug power cable (leaving ethernet plugged in).

6) Wait 30 seconds, plug in power cable. (with ethernet cable plugged in).

This should clear the red 3g light.  If it does not, try power cycling again (unplug power, wait 30 seconds and plug back in).

If anyone is dealing with the red 3g light issue and can try this, please report back and let us know if it works or not.  AT&T support is clueless on this issue, but maybe we can help each other find a solution.

Thanks for everyone's help in testing this.

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 7, 2012 7:15:43 PM
(0)
Contributor

We have 2 microcell's in 2 different houses in different cities, and within days both have switched from green 3G to red.  Just Still  have microcell service.  Can't figure it out and seems nobody knows why either.  Can't believe 2 would become defective at same time. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 9, 2012 9:32:45 AM
(0)
Teacher

Well I tried your method...

I did it last night and it was flashing red this morning.  I disconnected power for 30 seconds, this morning (6 AM ish) and it is currently green. 

I am very interested in what can causes it to flash red, in the first place.  When my first one flashed red, I called tech support, as the owners manual stated.  Basically they told me it was broken.  I went to the AT&T store, where I bought it, and found out it had gone out of warranty a few weeks ago.  I then purchased a new microcell and it is doing the same thing.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 9, 2012 11:33:20 AM
(0)
Tutor

As far as I can tell, the red light is a general error light.  I think that light comes up anytime anything goes wrong with the Mcell (no internet connection, software update failure, etc.)

I've been trying to activate my microcell for the past week or so and I keep getting a "software update failed" message when I check the activation progress online.  AT&T still doesn't know what's wrong with it or how to fix it. 

I find it kind of distrubing that AT&T is selling products that we shouldn't have to buy in the first place, and then not having a clue as to how to fix them if something goes wrong.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 9, 2012 11:41:55 AM
(0)
Teacher

It's still green!  Let's see if it can last more than 24 hours.  I'll keep you updated.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 9, 2012 2:25:58 PM
(0)
Tutor

Just bought the 3G MicroCell,  has not been able to establish a GPS signal even when I was standing beside it with a Garman GPS that said it saw 3 satilites and had a solid lock and location with in 20 feet.  After multiple calls, the techs said they "hard wired it to my location", ran for two days and failed over night.  Tech support started over at ground zero, CLUELESS of what had gone on before.  Device appears to be constantly checking GPS location, stupid, when it worked going over my DSL the service was very good.  When it fails the GPS check the device locks up with red light. 

They are now "getting back to me" which means they are trying to re-register it themselves(sends me an email-guess they have not figured out that it tells me how many times they are trying to register it).  Will give it another couple of days and if they cannot figure out how to make it work will take it back and get my money back.  Appears to be VERY bad design of software and hardware interface.  Since you have to give them your address, 911 needs that, constantly relocating itself is self defeating.  Guess if you have a storm and it loses GPS then you have to go back thru the re-registeration process, stupid design....

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 9, 2012 2:27:38 PM
(0)
Tutor
Red light means it has lost the GPS connection and best I can tell, you have to go back thru the registration process....

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 10, 2012 10:41:39 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

GaMountainHiker wrote:
Red light means it has lost the GPS connection and best I can tell, you have to go back thru the registration process....

The blinking satellite logo means you have lost GPS, and it usually blinks green if it can't get a lock. A blinking red 3G means the MicroCell has a hardware failure, or an update (by AT&T) was attempted but failed and now the MicroCell thinks it's broken because it can't reset itself. This seems to be happening more and more with the updates that AT&T is performing in hopes of correcting other issues. However, not everyone has these issues. My MicorCell has not experienced the issues that have been, and are being, reported here. I think it's multiple issues based on your location in relationship to the towers, geography, location of the MicroCell,  your ISP, router configuration, and type of phone. Way too many variables to have it work successfully for everyone. Not a very well thought out product.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 10, 2012 3:02:34 PM
(0)
Teacher

Otto Pylot wrote:
 I think it's multiple issues based on your location in relationship to the towers, geography, location of the MicroCell,  your ISP, router configuration, and type of phone. Way too many variables to have it work successfully for everyone. Not a very well thought out product.

Mine ran fine for a year, then all of a sudden, blinkin red 3G light.  I called tech support and they were of little help.  I took the unit to the store were I bought it and ended up buying a new one $200.  It started doing the same thing.  I talked to my ISP and replaced the modem and because of an issue with WiFi for the iPhones, I have replaced the router.

That being said, I tried the recipe that overclockedpc posted, and it seemed to have worked.

So, if your microcell is flahing a red 3g light, please try the following and let me know what happens.

1) With the microcell flashing red, unplug the ethernet cable while leaving power plugged in.

2) Wait 2 mnutes, unplug power cable.(whileethernet is unplugged).

3) Wait 30 seconds, plug power cable in with ethernet cable unplugged.

4) Wait 2 minutes, plug in ethernet cable. (while microcell is powered on)

5) Wait 2 minutes, unplug power cable (leaving ethernet plugged in).

6) Wait 30 seconds, plug in power cable. (with ethernet cable plugged in).

This should clear the red 3g light.  If it does not, try power cycling again (unplug power, wait 30 seconds and plug back in).

So we will see...

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 10, 2012 5:29:11 PM
(0)
Voyager

Hi MC Users:

I am also experiencing this same issue where my MC is working fine and suddenly, the 3G LED goes from Green to RED Flashing but yet, stipp operational (able to make and recv voice calls and data is fine too).  I might know what the issue is but I need some answers from you before I can conclude. 

1. Your location/ State?  

2. Around what time does the MC goes into this Red flashing state? anytime or or early twilight hours? Please observe this if you can.

3. When did it start? Jan ..March.April 2012? 

4. How frequent does it happen? For instance, 3G LED is green then goes Flashing RED... you powercycle ..its back green ... then how soon after does it go flashing red again (but still operational)? 

IF YOU CAN ANSWER these 4 questions, I can tell you how to resolve it. But I need your help to get a consensus of what we are dealing with. 

Waiting on your replies! --- thank you! 

Re: 3G Microcell - 3G Red Light Flashing ** Might Know The Problem! Pls answer 4 simple questions!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 10, 2012 6:32:51 PM
(0)
Teacher
1. KY
2. Usually late at night
3. April 2012
4. At least daily. Sometime after it would flash, it would die.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 11, 2012 4:21:23 AM
(0)
Teacher

I tried to use it this morning and I had no service and a red flashing light.

Another datat point.

I'm just restarting.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 11, 2012 4:41:46 AM
(0)
Voyager

Thanks for this information - very valuable as I consolidate the evidence. I just need a few more MC users with the same issue to answer the 4 questions. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 11, 2012 1:46:03 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

1. CA

2. Late at night

3. April 2012

4. Once only. A simple power cycle corrected it and it hasn't happened since.

Re: 3G Microcell - 3G Red Light Flashing ** Might Know The Problem! Pls answer 4 simple questions!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 11, 2012 5:32:04 PM
(0)
Voyager
Is it that the MC is flashing red and MC is still operational or not operational? This makes a big difference. I am looking for specific users whose MC 3g LED goes flashing red and still able to make calls. Anyone in this situation?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 14, 2012 11:29:14 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
My MicroCell is not flashing red and is operational. When the red light flashed, it was not operational. I don't the MicroCell will work if the 3G light is flashing red because that's an indicator of a hardware failure (either real or the inability to reset itself after an update).

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 14, 2012 3:32:44 PM
(0)
Teacher

I have had it where the 3G light is flashing red and I still have a signal.  It usually fails after that.

Mine is currently solid green.

It lost its Internet signal, yesterday (the modem took a short break).  It flashed green (and I had no signal) for about 20 minutes and went solid green and I had a connection.